Fuel cap wrench

doggman

<P mce_keep="true">Tommy 20/69 - Here's a thought for another product you could build - a spanner wrench to loosen and tighten the fuel caps. I have to use a giant pair of Channel Locks to do mine. The don't really fit in the small space around the cap and I have to use them in the "wrong" position to make them work. I've tried strap wrenches, pipe wrenches, etc. I know I'm not the only one who battles this. My cap doesn't leak if I have it down snug. </P>
<P mce_keep="true">Something like a giant box end wrench that fits aroundthe cap profile would work. You could probably use rebar for the whole thingto makea prototype. </P>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
<P mce_keep="true">take some cardboard and make a cutout of your cap something that will fit around the cap very closely and send it to me i'll make you one .</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Do the new and old style caps have the same pattern of depressions/grips?</p>

[quote user="doggman"]I've tried strap wrenches, pipe wrenches, etc. I know I'm not the only one who battles this. [/quote]</p>

I have the same bugger of a cap but found a strap wrench works for me.</p>

bigdeer2000

SUPER Site Supporter
<P mce_keep="true">i used an old leather dog collar once to loosen fuel cap. now i keep it under the seat.</P>

solitude

<P mce_keep="true">Doggman </P>
<P mce_keep="true">All I did after I finnally got fuel capoff the first time,was just greased the threads with regular grease.</P>
<P mce_keep="true">haven't had any trouble since.</P>

<P mce_keep="true">Good idea Doggman I guess I bought my strap wrench for noting. I bought a set of three wrenches at Harbor Frieght and they were cheap so after I grease my cap I will leave it under the seat just incase.</P>

doggman

<P mce_keep="true">I never had enough room to get a strap wrench to work.By the time I had enough tension I was hitting the body panel. I guess I could try to use an oil filter wrench. I'm going to send the cap outline to Tommy anyhow to see what he can come up with. I never had much luck with lubricating the cap. It would go on easy but it was still hard to remove. </P>
<P mce_keep="true">Plastic to plastic machine threadsare usuallya problem.If you ever owned an all plastic flashlight you know what I mean. The partsstick together from friction galling. Most of the time the standard practice is metal to plastic or vice versa. Check out a couple of automotive gas caps and you'll see what I mean. </P>

Deerlope

<P mce_keep="true"> If your fuel cap does not say diesel fuel on it then you have the old style cap. There was a servive bulletin out about it. My dealer replaced mine at no charge.</P>

seery

The tank on my 10/2005 manufactured RTV leaked.

Dealer gave me the "Diesel" marked replacement cap and it didn't stop the leak.

They then replaced the tank and the new cap is NOT marked "Diesel". The new tank and cap will still leak
if it's not snugged down good. The dealer told me the new tank comes with a cap and not to change it.

Like the others, I have a heck of a time getting the cap off.

Count me in for one "RTV-DCW" (diesel cap wrench).

seery

Just curious if regular grease will weaken or compromise the plastic tank neck or the cap?

Sort of like petroleum based lubricants destroy most types of O-rings.

If not I'll grease mine as well.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Had mine replaced when the machine was new. And like you, itcame with a new cap NOT marked. I found out, that if it is only tightened just enough for the gasket to touch. I don't leak. BUT, it still is not the easiest chore in the world. I learned to pay attention when putting the cap back on. One time, I just screwed it on, and like to have NEVER got the damn thing off. That's why I pay attention on putting it on for sure now !!!!</P>

Might be why the RTV's get so many hrs on a fuel tank, to keep the blood pressure down ~~~~~ [;)]</P>

<FONT size=4><FONT color=#ff0000> <FONT face=JohnHancock>~~~~~~ Two Guns ~~~~~~</FONT></FONT></FONT></P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="seery"]Just curious if regular grease will weaken or compromise the plastic tank neck or the cap?

Sort of like petroleum based lubricants destroy most types of O-rings.

If not I'll grease mine as well.[/quote]</p>

I'm not a petroleum engineer but I personally would think the grease would dissolve on contact with diesel. Heck, I use diesel and other petroleum products to clean things up (including grease).</p>

seery

Two Guns - Thanks for the tip. Tomorrow will try and loosen
and reinstall the cap only until contacting the gasket.

Zoom - I hear what you're saying. Any other product that
would work? I tried a healthy dose of Nyogel last time but it
didn't help at all.

DougK

I keep a 1x1 piece of wood that is about 12 inches long and a hammer with the fuel. When putting the cap on I hand tighten until snug then tap the cap closed, the cap has little cut outs than allow the wood to fit in there perfectly. To open I just tap the cap in the other direction.</p>

Deerlope

<P mce_keep="true">Make yourself a "T" handle and mount it to the cap. Or better yet get the one that says "diesel fuel" on it. It is the one that replaces the troublesome original cap.</P>

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
<P mce_keep="true">Seems like thefuel cap problem continues with some RTV's. I would have though Kubota would have arrived at a fix by now. Sometimes it appears that a fuel cap exchange works sometimes it doesn't. Sometimesit appears, a dealer fuel tank/cap exchange works - sometimes it doesn't. Is the problem of the fuel cap sticking still found on new 900/1100 units? And, along with the cap sticking, we have seen posts of RTV owners with diesel fuel leaking from the caps. At $4.35a gallon (todays price)I wouldn't want to see a drop of it leaking down the side. </P>
<P mce_keep="true">LISTEN UP KUBOTA.... I know we all do what we gotta do...but, using a block of wood and a hammer to loosen the fuel cap on a$ 8-15K machine isn't something included in the customer instruction manual... is it? </P>
<P mce_keep="true">Keifer, a RTV wanna be</P>

<P mce_keep="true">Keifer,</P>
<P mce_keep="true">As I was attempting to say above: I agree with you 100%. I have a 1100 and can get the fuel cap off but don't tighten very tight. I also have a 105 hp Kubota tractor and the fuel cap is difficult to get off and easy to get the threads crossed when putting back on. The folks on this forum are a good cross section of RTV owners and a lot are having the same problem. Kubota can surely come up with something that will work better. Wait till you get older and try to get the cap off-I know, it is a---ch and I don't mean dog.</P>

doggman

<P mce_keep="true">Last fall my neighbor was losing a lot of fuel out of his 2007 RTV900.He had tried different caps, etc., without success. They finally changed tanks and caps and that worked. I don't lose any fuel from my 2005 RTV900 as long as I get the cap on too tight to take off. </P>
<P mce_keep="true">I talked to an engineer at Kubota last fall. They WILL NOT issue a campaign or recall until they have a 100% proven solution -99.9% won't do. So, why Rome burns, Nero fiddles... My girlfriend works for a Japanese owed American company and this is a very typical approach. Nobody is ever wrong because it is a groupmentality. Then it takes a group to make a decision for resolution. It drives her crazy - but they pay her very well to put up with it...</P>
<P mce_keep="true">I said it somewhere else in this forum but I think the sticking cap is because they use the same plastic material for the cap and tank. When youhave two similar materialsunder stress together there is a good chance for galling or binding. If Kubota would use metal caps on the plastic tanks I think the issue would be resolved. I have a similar but not as pronounced problem on my plastic spray tank with a plastic cap. </P>