Grasshopper 930D possible hydro issue

N8ECH

Thanks in advance for all the help with the RTV-1100 I was working on a month or so back.
The latest project is this 930D, that seems to have an issue with the right hydro. For the record, it's an '09 model with just over 400 hours.
When you first fire it up, it works pretty well. As things start to warm up though, the right side gets kind of sloppy, and you hear sort of a clicking noise near the bottom right side. I have checked the hydro belts, and the right one looks worn. I am gonna replace both, and see what happens. The hydro oil is clear, and resembles a light maple syrup color wise. The level is about a quarter inch below the top of the tank baffle.

Thoughts please?

TIA Don

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've admired these machines but never been on one. Only hear good things about them. Wondering if it might be the pump?

N8ECH

Doc:
If you ever get the chance to try one, I highly recommend it! I'm sure there are other mowers out there that are comparable, but this thing is a like a Cadillac in my world. The 6 foot power lift deck, 30 hp diesel, and the Grammer air ride seat. I found the newest version of it on Ebay, the 900D, with similar equipment, and 200 hours, for just under $20k. I can't wrap my head around a number like that for a "mower", when I only paid $23k out the door for my gently used '14 Charger R/T in '16.
The 930 is not as fast as the Charger, but for a mower, I bet it will run 9-10 mph mowing if you want. Maybe somewhere without trees and ditches lol.

Don

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I would have one sittting in my pole barn if not for the price. A new one with a 62 inch deck that sits out front ran in the mid to upper teens when I was in the market. I would love to have one but I opted for a Scag cheetah. 27hp Kawasaki V twin engine. It has done a great job for me at about half the price of the grasshopper. With the mid mower deck it cannot get in the tight corners like the grasshopper can. The Scag can go up to 11mph ...but that's joke for my place. To dang bumpy. Still it mows 4 acres in 1:50. Pull behind on tractor used to take close to an hour more. And left lots of spots for a push mower.

N8ECH

I feel your pain lol. I keep planting money trees, but seems like all I get are weeds.
Anyway, I managed to get 2 new hydro belts P/N 381540 installed today. So far, it seems to be operating better. I think the belt on the right pump may have been slipping under load. To install them, there are 2 bolts that couple the engine to the hydro pump. They come off, and then the belts will come out once you remove the tension from them.

Don

Reactions: Doc

N8ECH

Thanks for the pleasantries. I mowed quite a bit two afternoons in a row, so I believe the issue is resolved.

Don

Reactions: Doc