Hand Throttle Question

Mork

Can someone tell me why the manual for the 1100C states not to use the hand throttle while driving the vehicle? Also, what is the difference in the optional hand throttle kit that Messicks sells as apposed to the pull up type on the 1100C?
Would there be any issue setting the pull throttle to half speed while plowing snow?

Attachments

• Hand Throttle.JPG
    Hand Throttle.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: Doc

Westfield

Can someone tell me why the manual for the 1100C states not to use the hand throttle while driving the vehicle? Also, what is the difference in the optional hand throttle kit that Messicks sells as apposed to the pull up type on the 1100C?
Would there be any issue setting the pull throttle to half speed while plowing snow?
On my X 1100 C I was running the throttle wide open when snowblowing. Now I run it at half throttle. If I would run the throttle in low while snowblowing it would have to be powder snow. If I run it on high it shoots the snow out pretty far. So yes I have been running mine average half throttle when snowblowing. I wonder if that is a misprint because that does not make any sense. Maybe they meant to say don't adjust speed while you're driving the vehicle. You got me do you have any idea.

I just looked at my owner's manual and it says the same thing. what the heck it's not a tractor where you can hook up a chipper shredder or a post hole digger and use it while it's not moving.

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good question. I had the hand throttle on my 06 900 and it worked like a charm to help get up hills in M rather than L. The hand throttle on the 1100c definitely works differently. It is not tied up to the throttle go pedal but is supposed to work with the optional hydraulics according to the label on my 1100c by the hand throttle. Can't imagine an issue setting it at half speed, but that is an uneducated guess.

Mork

On my X 1100 C I was running the throttle wide open when snowblowing. Now I run it at half throttle. If I would run the throttle in low while snowblowing it would have to be powder snow. If I run it on high it shoots the snow out pretty far. So yes I have been running mine average half throttle when snowblowing. I wonder if that is a misprint because that does not make any sense. Maybe they meant to say don't adjust speed while you're driving the vehicle. You got me do you have any idea.

I just looked at my owner's manual and it says the same thing. what the heck it's not a tractor where you can hook up a chipper shredder or a post hole digger and use it while it's not moving.
I know its weird for them to say not to use it while driving but I will try using it while plowing as my driveway has a bit of a slope to it and plowing snow up grade does cause the engine to bog near the top of it.

hondajoe

Well i will post on this.Not on if kubota has any power because it dont.But pto speed i would not go by the specs say but by the way the equipment likes the speed you run it at.My mower likes about 500 rpm My tiller likes about 450 rpm faster it tries to jump out of the ground at 450 it makes dirt just layes in the ground.If your blower likes half throttle thats i would run it at,It will give you years of trouble free service Joe PS its all about the sweet spot.

Iron mike

I think Kubota means don’t use the hand throttle while driving on roads and flat trails with little or no load, compared to using the Kubota to work by plowing, steep terrain hauling etc, were the unit is working.

the hand throttle makes a world of difference when plowing, the sweet spot is around 1/2 throttle, shame these RTVs do not have a tach, use the hand throttle to set the rpms and the go pedal to go forwards or back.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I think Kubota means don’t use the hand throttle while driving on roads and flat trails with little or no load, compared to using the Kubota to work by plowing, steep terrain hauling etc, were the unit is working.

the hand throttle makes a world of difference when plowing, the sweet spot is around 1/2 throttle, shame these RTVs do not have a tach, use the hand throttle to set the rpms and the go pedal to go forwards or back.
I just picked up a new X1100C and ordered it with a hand throttle as I had installed on on my X900 years ago and found it helpful when plowing. Well the hand throttle is backordered for many weeks. The salesperson called to say the although he didn't know it the X1100C comes standard with a simple hand throttle and that perhaps that would work?? Since it was standard (no where is that mentioned in the order literature) I took delivery as is and will try plowing with it. It has a detent at 1/2 the range and can be pulled to higher RPM's but now set. I can't figure out why they have two models of hand throttles at about $50 difference in price.

TechJunkie

I just picked up a new X1100C and ordered it with a hand throttle as I had installed on on my X900 years ago and found it helpful when plowing. Well the hand throttle is backordered for many weeks. The salesperson called to say the although he didn't know it the X1100C comes standard with a simple hand throttle and that perhaps that would work?? Since it was standard (no where is that mentioned in the order literature) I took delivery as is and will try plowing with it. It has a detent at 1/2 the range and can be pulled to higher RPM's but now set. I can't figure out why they have two models of hand throttles at about $50 difference in price.
It is my understanding just from reading A LOT about RTVs during my recent research in UTVs that the hand throttle with the detent is to assist in warming up the 1100C. The other hand throttle kit you can have installed allows for finer control of RPMs for attachments etc. At least that is what I read posted by others. I am sure more experienced 1100C owners know if this is true.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
It is my understanding just from reading A LOT about RTVs during my recent research in UTVs that the hand throttle with the detent is to assist in warming up the 1100C. The other hand throttle kit you can have installed allows for finer control of RPMs for attachments etc. At least that is what I read posted by others. I am sure more experienced 1100C owners know if this is true.
Yes - that is true - but why make up two different types when one would offer both purposes. That Kubota didn't make it clear that the simple hand throttle came on the machine doesn't make sense either, and when you go to the Kubota "Build your machine" site they offer two hand throttle options! If you want the "better" one you must first remove the standard one!

TechJunkie

Yes - that is true - but why make up two different types when one would offer both purposes. That Kubota didn't make it clear that the simple hand throttle came on the machine doesn't make sense either, and when you go to the Kubota "Build your machine" site they offer two hand throttle options! If you want the "better" one you must first remove the standard one!
I wondered this as well. It just seems it would have made more sense to have put the adjustable hand throttle on it and skipped the one with the detent. I guess they figured the one with the detent saved them a few bucks and would be enough for many and those that wanted the adjustable one would pay for it.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I added a hand throttle to my 06 RTV900. Worth every penny. I used it primarily for climbing the hills on my property and it worked great. Fast forward 5 years. I now own a 2015 x1100c and love it, but I have never found a use for the stock hand throttle. I don't need it for warming up and it does not work like the one I had on the 900 for holding RPM's higher. So, I assumed it was for add ons that you hook into the hydraulics. Still not sure what the heck it's purpose is.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
The salesperson called to say the although he didn't know it the X1100C comes standard with a simple hand throttle and that perhaps that would work??

The Pitiful part of this is…. The ”Salesman” doesn’t know the product! THAT’S HIS JOB!

The salesman who doesn’t educate himself about the products he’s supposedly representing is nothing more than a lazy slug who doesn’t deserve his pay.

Reactions: Doc

TechJunkie

The Pitiful part of this is…. The ”Salesman” doesn’t know the product! THAT’S HIS JOB!

The salesman who doesn’t educate himself about the products he’s supposedly representing is nothing more than a lazy slug who doesn’t deserve his pay.
This I ABSOLUTELY agree with. I spent probably 100+ hours researching UTVs and RTVs before deciding on what I needed and wanted. I started calling Kubota dealers and knowledge was lacking at most. Fortunately the dealer I ended up working with is knowledgeable and has a knowledgeable service department from my conversations with them. I was shocked how little some salespersons knew about the product they were selling. Then again, when I bought my new truck things seemed to be the same. I knew more about it than the salesperson trying to sell it to me. Sad really!