Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovrszd

I've not ran over mine, but have had it hook on vegetation because it's dragging. I hang it with a long tarp strap from the ROPS so I have plenty of slack hose and prevent it from dragging on the ground. I have 20ft of hose.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Had the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago.

I have a 25 gallon pull behind boom sprayer with a hose and wand for spot applications. I was spraying pasture pro and noticed a stream of pasture pro behind me. The wand had vibrated loose and fallen under the wheels. It pulled on the hose and broke a fitting on the pump.

Jim

Mark.Sibole

That's profound Mark.

So Mark, if our universe is constantly expanding, does it have a start and end? And if it does, what stage would you say it's in, i.e. infancy, middle aged, etc.?

Couldnt tell ya.Well beyond my knowledge but if you as a liberal it probably started with Obama and will end with Trump

ovrszd

Couldnt tell ya.Well beyond my knowledge but if you as a liberal it probably started with Obama and will end with Trump

No liberal here. Certainly wasn't a political question. Was just interested in the thoughts of someone that obviously knows much more about our universe than myself. I was curious to hear your thoughts about it. Sorry if I appeared political.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
That's profound Mark.

So Mark, if our universe is constantly expanding, does it have a start and end? And if it does, what stage would you say it's in, i.e. infancy, middle aged, etc.?

If you are asking the age of the universe, 13.82 billion years old not counting today. How much longer, 2.8 to 22 billion years predicted not counting leap years.

But tomorrow it will be one day closer if that makes one nervous.:wall:

Bob

Mark.Sibole

LOL you missed the point but it is in its infancy I think.
Scientists can gues and speculate on things but remember wer are all just a speck in time.And how far does it go?Well infinity as even with our best telescopes we can only see so far and there are many things we will never see.

ovrszd

No worries Mark, I often miss points. :)

I can study a picture such as yours and completely lose myself in it's complexity.

Sounds like I'm not alone. :)

ovrszd

Bob, it's end does not concern me at all.

There will come a day when I'll know the answers and that's my comfort.

Pretty spectacular to just be an accident isn't it. :)

Mark.Sibole

Also remember when you look up into the night sky you are seeing things that happened or what it looks like hundreds or thousands of years ago.The time it Takes the light to travel in space.So when you hear about a super Nova that just popped out it happened ages ago and the event is just catching up to us.

Mark.Sibole

For an example when they reference a light year.A light year is the time it takes light to travel in 1 year so when objects are listed as 22 million light years away that is the time it will take that light to travel.

ovrszd

That was my next question, how many light years away is the nebula in your pic?

How many miles is a light year?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Isn't light speed 186,000 miles per second?
Yes it is.

If I recall correctly, that's about 6 trillion miles per year. The closest star to us (besides the sun) is a little over 4 light years away (26 trillion miles or so).

ovrszd

Wouldn't it require sucessfully overcoming "time" to be able to effectively travel our universe?

Mark mentioned being a speck in time. I saw a year long calendar once depicting Earth's history. The first second of the new year being the beginning of Earth. The last second of the year being now. Mankind had only existed the last 13 seconds on the calendar.....

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't think time is as much of an issue as energy. To get around the universe, you need speed, and lots of it. To do that, ummm, dang it, I forgot. College astronomy was too many years ago. Looking it up.

Results from NASA
According to Special Relativity the mass of an object increases as its speed increases, and approaches infinity as the object's speed approaches the speed of light. This means that it would take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate an object to the speed of light.

There's no fundamental reason why we can't get as close to the speed of light as we like, provided we have enough energy. But this is probably far in the future.

Mark.Sibole

The Crescent Nebula (also known as NGC 6888, Caldwell 27, Sharpless 105) is an emission nebula in the constellation Cygnus, about 5000 light-years away from Earth.

ovrszd

I don't think time is as much of an issue as energy. To get around the universe, you need speed, and lots of it. To do that, ummm, dang it, I forgot. College astronomy was too many years ago. Looking it up.

Results from NASA
According to Special Relativity the mass of an object increases as its speed increases, and approaches infinity as the object's speed approaches the speed of light. This means that it would take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate an object to the speed of light.

There's no fundamental reason why we can't get as close to the speed of light as we like, provided we have enough energy. But this is probably far in the future.

Yeah, definitely need to conquer energy.

If we assume light speed is the maximum attainable, we are still 5000 years from the Crescent Nebula. If we found a compelling reason to go there, and had light speed travel, by the time we got there the reason for going would probably have vanished.

If dreaming, dream big. Conquer time and you will have conquered the umiverse. Only one way to do that I'm aware of? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.