Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanook

So if you are travelling down the road at 60mph and you turn on your headlites, is the light shining down the road in front of you travelling at the speed of light or at the speed of light plus 60mph?

ovrszd

Tryin to load a pic using my phone. If it works check out the treed critters. If not, sorry.

Attachments

• 20160724_145611.jpg
    20160724_145611.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 109

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Lightening

Just wanted to put out a word for ya'll to be careful outside during storms or threatening weather. Lightening struck just outside the house about 2 weeks ago. I had just come in the house and as I sat down, kabam !!! and the brilliant light from the strike came in the picture window making the hair on my arms stand up. All of the UPS started whistling constantly.
It got the a/c's- all 3 outdoor units, security system, DSL, electric gate, Dtv and a receiver. Thankfully no cows. The second strike close to the house in 3 days.. I will post a picture of the big ancient tree that was struck on Saturday before the one that got the electronics on Monday. The tree was hollow so burned and fell over during the night... Still haven't found where it hit by the house.. Yea, I had just got back from Ark and was checking the garden and trying to lock up the chickens - gave up and was glad I came in the house. Bil said No grilled chicken? I said no .. no fried neither.. I am really suprised it didn't get them.. Be safe out there ya'll.. collie

edit.. The tree picture is poor but if looking closely, you can see where it ran from the tip of that tallest branch to the base.

Attachments

• 0714161352.jpg
    0714161352.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 0712161934.jpg
    0712161934.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 116

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Home owners will take care of the damages, minus the deductible of course; but for YOU am so glad all that was hurt was the adrenaline rush and the grey hairs. Glad HE took care of you and provided a way to get replacements for all that was damaged.

GOLLY GIRL, scared the daylights out of YOU though........God bless for sure....Dennis

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Dennis. The amazing thing -even the UPS with surge protection melted at the plug in where the security was plugged in and it still got the system. That was a powerful hit, I don't understand why it didn't get our old 22 yr old oven- it is on an electronic panel shoe string and goes a little crazy sometimes- darn..
Thanks to the Lord for protecting us. judy

Mark.Sibole

That sucks.I remember when my house took a direct his a few years back.It blew off the phone on the wall and took out every electronic thing in the house including all of my telescope stuff.The Insurance company was no help as they claimed act of god and wouldnt cover my telescope stuff.Fortunatly I had a UPS installed on everything here.What got by the UPS APC covered all repairs even my telescope.Thats why I have a UPS on every device in the house.Its cheaper to add one to every TV and sensitive thing than to have to replace everything.IM not sure if you all know how a UPS works so Ill explain it.It has a 12 volt battery in it and it is used as a battery backup devise also.You plug it into the wall and there is a battery charger in it.That charges the battery.Also there is a 12 volt to 120 volt converter in it.Any device you plug into it runs off of the inverter not the electric out of your wall.They are designed this way so if any over voltages try to get through the battery absorbes it .All of your devices actually run off the inverter.If you have a lot of power surges you will need to replace the battery more often as it will swell up and dry out from the over voltages.But its cheaper to buy a 12 dollar battery than a new TV.APC as well as Cyber power has a great warrenty and replacement program.If you dont have one on your stuff I strongly recomend you get some for your electronic devices.It seems expensive at first but I look at it as a great Insurance policy.I think I have 11 of them here .Lightening strikes are terrible and cause a lot of damage.My hit was a direct hit to the side of the house where the phone panel was.I found pieces of it that wernt melted 100 feet away here...

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Mark. That is a good explanation and is appreciated . Bil says our insurance should cover ( big deductible)but I will encourage him to pursue the APC. He was thinking they would be difficult to prove this to.
I had an APC on the tvs but one receiver wasn't hooked through the coaxial on the UPS just electrical so the receiver got it through the coaxial line. The other surge I have is a Monster something and it done its protection thing .
I had a real jerk at DTV that insisted I had a wiring problem and wanted me to pay for a tech to come and see.. I told him I tried a receiver out of the other coaxial protected "UPS" room on that coaxial line and it worked fine, Yet, the lightening damaged receiver just said "searching for signal" there. He was a smarty so I told him to just cut that receiver off and I'll save $7 a month because I wasn't paying for a service call. All I had wanted was a standard low end receiver. I put in my own system 22 years ago.. One day, they will push me too far especially as little as I watch tv. Sling tv sounds better and better..
Thanks again, judy

edit to say when the lightening hit this APC, it was a constant scream not a beep beep..Before I called DTV, I went ahead and ordered a new LNB for the satellite so I could see how bad the damage was so got 2 of the receivers working but not the 3rd..

Attachments

• 0726161407.jpg
    0726161407.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 104

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
On my last post, the picture of the UPS is what the security was hooked to. I wasn't very clear- :whistling: thanks.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Judy, for me, stopping the lightning is impossible. I mean, my Bud at the bottom of the hill is one of these engineers that KNOW all there is about a subject. When he built his house he ran a fire extinguisher system throughout, put in a cistern system in addition to his well and the city county system, and of course lightning protection just after the meter. His house is in the middle of a 1/4 mile in diameter meadow with all of these little antennas and devices on top of his roof line along with the two cupolas........Anyway, within 6 months of moving in, he had had 3 lightning strikes and by golly, he was protected...........Then, the ol Devil hit him with a direct hit on his well 200 feet from the house......seems it traveled through the WATER!!! Through the plumbing and came out in his kitchen to zap his high dollar stove, frig, and dishwasher.......Who is to say......????

For me, I have put in two well pumps now over 15 years. I didn't know they have some kind of device/fuses built into them to protect from lightning strikes. Seems they have like 2 or 3 of these fuses and after that many hits, it allows the CHARGE to get to your pump!!! Kinda the same I guess, as those things one puts on your fence charger to protect it from strikes coming through the fence line and destroying the device.....lol....which I have replaced 3 chargers over the years......
I guess we all have our lightning stories and they are just litanies on how HE protects us physically from getting hurt; but not in the pocketbook.......I guess it just proves once again that our life is much more valuable to HIM than those things.......God blesss, Judy...........Dennis

Mark.Sibole

Looks like from the pic it took a good hit.The APC is mainly designed to stop power surges and small static hits but will not really take a full blown pop as you see.But they are still worth having.If he files a claim with APC they will have him draw a diagram of how it was installed and what was plugged into it.When drawing up the system show them the way it was hooked up and what was on the system.this way they can see what happened.

SVG

Bordercollie,

The next time you are in a lightning storm, run inside your home and grab a 1 iron (golf club). Cause even God can’t hit a 1 iron!

I’ll be in town all week..................

SVG

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I know you are joking - I think He can hit whatever He intends to. It just wasn't my time.. yet. I had the "feeling " to get in the house right then and did . - am glad too.. Did I mention that I was jerking my laptop power cord out as it struck? I was thankful for that too . Also that no cows were killed . I gave thanks to Him.
I have close calls pretty often and in Dec. broke a tooth as cows wedged in a WW gate panel bowed it and forced it open. It knocked me down and, I rolled quickly out from under their hooves as they charged out but didn't get stepped on. ( Just bloody and kept on working that day. Many experiences- you old members remember the planer that almost got me?I've told that story before. ..more than once haha.
I am what some call a Jesus freak ( researched believer) . I'm ready. :tiphat: judy

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Laugh as they may Judy..........Just thankful for those angels guiding our movements and watching over us........

SVG

Just having some fun BC. Glad no one was hurt.
I had some friends that were caught up in a lightning storm on top of Half Dome in Yosemite back in the mid 80’s.
One life ended and all others were changed forever.

SVG

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I wasn't concerned for myself but wanted to clarify that God never misses where he aims. He is perfect in all ways. Years ago, I wouldn't have given that sentence a second thought. However, after I have been doing all of this deep biblical research and the experiences I have had in my life, I know I will be held accountable one day for all things I say,do and agree to.
It's Good vs evil every day but just remember in the end, Good wins.
Some amazing stuff soon to happen, if anyone cares to study it- it is all foretold in the Book (KJV 1611 is a good version- the newer ones text have been changed some). :tiphat: bordercollie aka judy

Status
Not open for further replies.