Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovrszd

are you sure? How does the car know the fob is in your pocket without sending something?

I was told it's because the car computer is constantly pinging for the fob. Once it realizes it's not in the vehicle it does it's magic. If no signal is sent, no signal can be stolen. :)

A much more scientific hacking method can be used to get into your car computer and do all sorts of weird stuff. Saw a news story concerning police departments trying out computer systems to search for specific cars. Such as one that's been stolen. Has the ability to ping that car and disable it.

Pretty cool stuff.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Bczoom;

Seems like not having any medical problems for most of my life has caught up with me. As with some other forum members, I have been visiting more often than I care to admit, with various medical professions. It's part of life and I accept that. I just don't have to be happy about it. LOL, trying hard not to be an old 70 something old grumpy guy. Life is too short not to enjoy it. Happy new year 2017!

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
Just saw this on the evening news. Thieves are using a radio gadget to scan and copy the code from newer cars - ones that don't require a key to start. It works like this. You go to the mall and park- get out of your car and use the key fob to lock the car. At the same time, the nearby thief uses his scanner to copy your code. You go in the mall and the thief unlocks and starts your car and drives away. Recommended to lock your car with the inside door button when at malls and other public parking areas.

Not only that, but once in the car your GPS comes on. All they have to do is press the "home" button and your car will take them to your house where they know you are not home. Then they can use your garage door opener to gain access to your house. Ain't technology wonderful????

Bob

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
No.. You won't believe this... no way...

no way.. could the explanation be accurate?...The car has been discovered.Supposedly in same condition as it was when it was stolen..
the kicker..... it was wrongly repo'd. Yea, I know.............
The guy responsible said there was a white accord with the same private license plate in Ga with a repossession out on it.. The vin numbers are close but not the same of course..
Now the car belongs to state farm because the settled and brought by the equity check before we got the call yesterday..We are pretty ticked and will insist he pay the deductible and extra rental car fees along with bringing the personal contents to where the bil works. 3 weeks sitting on his lot... ridiculous...I still can't believe the dude evidently followed my sis until she got out of the car then "stole" it .. Sort of creepy for sure..

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, didn't see that one coming.

I'd be all over that guy. Yep, get your costs and possessions. Do the police and State Farm both know? I'm think SF may have a claim against him for their costs. I'd want a police report that he effectively stole your vehicle. If the plates are from different States and the VIN doesn't match, he did in fact steal the vehicle.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Agreed Zoom, you could have knocked me over with a feather. We called our state farm rep and he said the same as you. He cost them $$. I will let ya'll know what happens.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I'll agree with all of the above, amazing. I think I'd put together a complete list of costs and inconvenience at a fair amount per hour and take it to small claims court if the Tow Company won't make good when your folks submit the bill to them.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
One can and should go on and on about today's world. It is sick. Someone needs to grab hold of today's society and shake it by the back of the neck. My heart goes out to you guys Judy for I know that you are live and let live folks that just actually GIVE to the world as ag folks only know how to do...........
Most of us have watched these "towing" shows on TV. Making heroes out of low-life behavior types. SUE this guy, his company, and his owners who will be of course and LLC. YES arrest him. At the least cause him the trouble of a police report on his butt. MAKES ME SO MAD that these clowns all over this country get away with these actions. ...........I just have to fall back on it's NOT MY PLACE TO JUDGE.....HIS WILL, NOT MINE, BE DONE............

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
... just wondering how many other "repo'ed" vehicles ended up in this guys lot that had incorrect VIN's. Sounds like another name for a 'chop shop' under another seemingly legit business. Just saying ...

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
car "stolen" report

Thanks to each and every one of you . Our agent said something will be done and we could join in. I will let ya'll know what happens. It would be unfair to let a person that "thieved" get off scott free.
I mean , how stupid can one get? The vin number should have been checked first .And then the fact that he kept it for about 3 weeks !! And even though the private plate may have been the same letters, Ms has a magnolia blossom in the center of the license plate and Georgia has a peach in the center... It just doesn't add up.. Thanks again my friends. :tiphat: collie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A couple days ago, I'm in my office, dog with me looking and she sees something outside the window. She starts the low growl (I see something and I'm watching). I get up and look. It's a mink about 35 yards out, walking on the ice in the creek. What the heck, why not... I give her the get-em command and open the door. She got so close to catching it but fell through the ice about 6' away from catching it. Oh well. Next time. There should be a next time as the mink's nest is only 50' from one of our buildings.

Today, same low growl. A bobcat about 70 yards out but up a very steep hill so the cat has the high ground and the dog would need to catch her breath. Used better judgement and kept the dog in.

Between a nearby nesting mink and a roaming bobcat, I don't expect there to be many mice in the area come spring. :)

ovrszd

A couple days ago, I'm in my office, dog with me looking and she sees something outside the window. She starts the low growl (I see something and I'm watching). I get up and look. It's a mink about 35 yards out, walking on the ice in the creek. What the heck, why not... I give her the get-em command and open the door. She got so close to catching it but fell through the ice about 6' away from catching it. Oh well. Next time. There should be a next time as the mink's nest is only 50' from one of our buildings.

Today, same low growl. A bobcat about 70 yards out but up a very steep hill so the cat has the high ground and the dog would need to catch her breath. Used better judgement and kept the dog in.

Between a nearby nesting mink and a roaming bobcat, I don't expect there to be many mice in the area come spring. :)

You definitely have mice control working for you!!!!

Is your dog a fighter?? As in can she usually fight and win?? The mink and/or bobcat will be fighting for their lives. And it will show in their performance. :)

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Is your dog a fighter?? As in can she usually fight and win?? The mink and/or bobcat will be fighting for their lives. And it will show in their performance. :)
Yes, she's a hunter/fighter. Hasn't lost yet against things like coons, groundhogs and anything smaller and she always kills them. She almost snagged a turkey in low flight but thankfully missed. I don't know what their talons would do.

I don't see her having an issue with the mink because of her size but a bobcat is something different. I'd wouldn't give most any dog 50/50 odds of winning.

Attachments

• CIMG7534.JPG
    CIMG7534.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 88

ovrszd

Yeah, she would handle a Mink. The Bobcat would be hard to bet on. And fortunately the Bobcat will avoid the fight if at all possible.

My dog is a pretty savvy fighter as well. Saw him take on a coyote in an open pasture couple years ago. That didn't go so well. The coyote tried to get away but when it would retreat he'd grab it's butt. After a couple times of that it just laid down on it's back, curled up in a ball. He thought the Dog God's had given him a present. He jumped on. And he immediately jumped off and ran as hard as he could toward the tractor. That coyote gave him a schooling in ground fighting.....

If you look closely in the background, to the left, you can see the coyote. It's saying "Is that it, are you done now?" He was definitely done. :)

Attachments

• 20140710_153058.jpg
    20140710_153058.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 83

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What kind of dog you have there? Do I see some blue tick in him?

Mine is Lab and Australian Shepard. The Lab says strike/kill them, the Shepard says move quickly and use herding movements. Her favorite game is to herd (me). She's fast but not fast enough IMHO for a bobcat.

Got to thinking about her record since the morning post. When she's been with me, she's about 26-0-1. The tie is when she cornered a groundhog in the corner of a building and it was a stand-off. I was 1000 miles away but gave someone local the OK to come over and dispatch the groundhog.

I got her because she would kill everything she could catch on the farm she lived on so they tied her up. I brought her to my place with no farm animals. She's absolutely incredible with kids and watches them closely. If she sees someone grab any kid with aggression, she's going to be on you. It's sort of a game, but she grabs me as well if I grab one of my kids. She lets me know but won't tear into me.

ovrszd

My dog is a Mutt someone dumped at my farm. He kinda looks like a wire hair terrier.

I think he's had an encounter with a bobcat. Most times when we go in the timber he's immediately roaming and hunting. But then sometimes when we go he don't get more than 100ft away and acts very nervous. :)

shinnery

I cannot imagine what that costs per year in dogfood. But would get a stranger's attention. Growing up we had a Lab mix that was given away in the local paper. They had it in the backyard attached to a closeline wire. When a stranger would approach our house (we had 15 acres) he would bark once or twice and then lay there and growl. I swear you could hear him for twenty yards. Smart strangers would start shouting to get someone's attention. He also loved to retrive box turtles.

ovrszd

Several years ago I heard a local lady was giving away a Border Collie. Last thing I needed was another dog. But I also knew this lady and how she cared for her pets. So I went to take a look. Susie was tied in the backyard along with half a dozen other dogs. All fed from one central located bowl. I immediately said I'd take her. I had two other dogs at the time. For a week or so Susie wouldn't share the dog food bowl with the other two. She guarded it. My dogs always have a full bowl. I kept her tied for two days so she wouldn't run off. Never tied her again. I wish I could have taken all of those dogs. Dogs aren't meant to be confined like that. Causes them to display insane behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.