Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
After I get over buying the Roxor and paying my qtrly taxes, I'm thinking about one of the little 12 inchers for cutting limbs in tight places like next to the electric fence. That would be real handy.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
might as well go with the full size saw. they are really light and slimmer than a gas saw and you can just put a 12 inch bar on it if you want. spend once cry once. might want to check different mfg to see if the bar is proprietary to that saw. i know the Milwaukee has standard bar. now what i want is a battery operated pole saw!!!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That's true Aurthuritis. I have a Husky gas pole saw (something like 326 ) and its sorta top heavy for me. I've used it very little because of that. But it does go way out. Batteries sound better still .. no gas to go bad neither.. I know one thing I absolutely love my Kobalt battery weed eater.. I does a great job and isn't so heavy . I keep a tooth brush and blower handy to clean out the vents after use and I unplug the charger during the winter because my last one went bad just hanging on the wall plugged in 24/7. I do make sure the battery doesn't draw down too much and go bad that way also. . By the way save your receipts and a copy of the warranty. My Kobalt weed eater (Lowe's) was under warranty + free replacement+ . something like a year old with 2 years left -but the tool manager had an attitude and told the counter lady it was out of warranty cause the warranty was only for 90 days .. . I said look here and had the papers. He got more smart "alecker" so the lady called the real manager . The big cheese said to give us a new unit.. If that tool manager was ever put in real charge of things... well .... look at what has happened to sears...

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i am amazed at how long these batteries last. and the milwaukee M18 don't develop a charge memory so it doesn't hurt to top it off while eating lunch. and they even have a little gas gauge on them that lets you know how full they are.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've decided a battery pole saw is near essential. I never thought about until I dropped off some stuff at Goodwill then went in to see what sort of treasures were for sale. Got a Remington pole saw for $10. Apparently never used but missing its battery and charger.

Online research convinced me those parts are unobtainable so I cobbled together a bogus battery mount, a gutted Ryobi 18volt flashlight, to mount its battery onto the Remington polesaw. It's ugly but it works well.

My most recent use was fully extended and up on a 11 ft orchard ladder cutting away an oak limb the size of my arm that was chafing on the powerline to the house. I'm glad I got that in time, the piece I took down had burned, scorched marks from shorting the powerline.

Link to a photo of this 'wonder tool'. :mrgreen: It extends to near double this length. Weird design! It's a two-part chainsaw that can have the extender tube installed between the trigger handle and the motor portion, or without that extender in place it looks like an ordinary chainsaw.

I really should buy a proper one.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
CPO outlet has the M18 fuel Chainsaw Kit or bare tool on sale right now. but don't get to excited because they will go on sale again in a couple of months. don't forget the refurbished ones on sale from time to time.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i used the battery chainsaw again today but this time i had the big 12 amp hour battery. i worked for a couple of hours sawing limbs and small trees out of a fence and still have an almost full battery. mind you though that the limbs were mostly the size of your wrist or smaller. just pick it up and pull the trigger.:clap:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Y'all are tempting me to get one of these. I can't really justify it now since I have about 7 chainsaws and my 3 "go to" saws are all Husqvarna professional saws that run nicely and will chew through anything with amazing speed. My little one is a professional arborist saw and it's incredible light but still rips through anything I throw at it.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
ah hek ZOOM if i had that many working saws i never would have bought it. but now that i have it i sure am surprised how well it works. one lesson learned though is i think it would be cheaper to have a couple of the 9 amp hour batteries and charge one in the truck while i use the other. that way the saw is lighter and you have 18 amp hours instead of 12 and cheaper too. battery life just isn't a problem.

Pumpkin

Gold Site Supporter
Love my STIHL battery chain saw. Has a mind of its own, after cutting two
nails it decided to not cut wood.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Y'all are tempting me to get one of these. I can't really justify it now since I have about 7 chainsaws and my 3 "go to" saws are all Husqvarna professional saws that run nicely and will chew through anything with amazing speed. My little one is a professional arborist saw and it's incredible light but still rips through anything I throw at it.

Me to. And I can justify one with trail trimming season hitting us hard right now.

I'm very happy with my new Kobalt drill and Kobalt 6 1/2" circular saw. Both have done well on my dock projects. Looked at Kobalt pole saws and someone commented that the chain replacement was special order from someone other than Lowes and the chain ran 38 bucks. ....So as handy as it would be to share batteries I'm shopping around now.

CPO outlet has the M18 fuel Chainsaw Kit or bare tool on sale right now. but don't get to excited because they will go on sale again in a couple of months. don't forget the refurbished ones on sale from time to time.

What is CPO outlet? I doubt we have one nearby but worth asking.

Why in th world Milwaukee call their battery operated pole saw a "M18 fuel" is confusing as heck. Made me think it was a gas model. :pat:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
CPO outlet is an on line retailer. i have no idea why they use "Fuel" in their name but be aware there are two M18 lines,one is Fuel and i think brushless motors and the other is just M18. both use the same battery though. be aware that the saw i am referring to is not a pole saw. i picked th e Milwaukee brand so i could share batteries with other tools and am happy with it. i really liked the Stihl battery saw also but i didn't want to have another battery sitting around.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Since we're talking about outdoor chores and tools, I want to mention one that I use quite a bit. A good backpack blower. I have a couple Stihl BR550's and they're awesome.
Works great for blowing the driveway stone out of the grass (from plowing in the winter) as well as cleaning building/shop floors, blowing away leaves that came in over the last couple months, cleaning wood sheds of chips...

dan900

...I'm thinking about one of the little 12 inchers for cutting limbs in tight places like next to the electric fence. That would be real handy.

The Milwaukee M18 Hackzall is great for this. Uses regular Sawzall blades. Easy to change blades if necessary. No chain to sharpen, oil or keep adjusted. Dirt (or nails and metal fence posts) doesn't quickly dull the cutting edges. Light weight and balanced enough to be used one handed. I already had other M18 tools--the Hackzall was $99 without a battery. I also like being to use the same battery on various other tools.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for letting me know about CPO outlet. I have placed an order for a Milwaukee 18 Fuel 10" pole saw / weed eater combo. Planning to trim on some trails today, I'll be wishing the pole saw was here already.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Thanks for letting me know about CPO outlet. I have placed an order for a Milwaukee 18 Fuel 10" pole saw / weed eater combo. Planning to trim on some trails today, I'll be wishing the pole saw was here already.

oooooh i want one of those weed eater combo set ups. keep an eye out for sales on CPO they have good deals on batteries sometimes.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
....and with the batteries no need for ear plugs ( in most cases) and no spark arresters to clog up at inopportune times, ya'll are bad for my pocketbook ;) ( visions of sugar plums (batteries) are dancing in my head :) . collie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
don't forget they make a charger that runs off of your cigarette lighter. i carry one with me and always have a fresh battery. i don't know how they get 12 volts to charge 18 volts but it works. during ice storms or power outage my saw will always work. oh and since we are talking power outage look over those M18 light packages!!! great for taking to the cellar.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
oooooh i want one of those weed eater combo set ups. keep an eye out for sales on CPO they have good deals on batteries sometimes.
Please post here if you notice a sale on the batteries. And I'll do the same if I see them on sale. For now I'll be running with just one battery but know I will want a 2nd one before to long.

Status
Not open for further replies.