Hissing sound when driving around

extrafu

Hi,

I have a almost brand new 1100XC with less than 50 hours on it. When I start it and drive around when it's "cold", it doesn't make any hissing sound. After a few minutes a few minutes of running, it starts doing this extremely annoying hissing sound.

I took a video a few minutes ago:

When I stop moving, it stops. Sometimes it doesn't do it, like when going downhill, but when I go uphill or on flat grounds, it's just insane.

What can do that and how can I fix this?

Thanks!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to net tractor talk. We have the best bunch of RTV gurus around. I don't recall seeing this issue before but someone with the know how will take a shot tomorrow I bet.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i would check for exhaust leaks??? or a plugged restricted muffler spark arrestor? as always-----check the fluid level in the tank under the seat and in the hst? always use sudt oil.

extrafu

@ItBmine Thanks for your response. I was just about to write an update and suggest that. I've checked the fluid level, all fine. The exhaust, all fine. Could it be the belt being a bit dirty? I've used the RTV with a lot of dust around (carrying dried top soil, etc.).

If so, what's the best way to clean things up? Water and light soap?

Thanks!

ItBmine

I would check adjustment tension and condition. It could be dirty or even wore? Back in the old days I remember people rubbing hand soap on belts. You can also buy spray on belt dressing too if that is the problem.

Try the simple cheap things before you panic!

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
good to hear all fluids are full and in spec. what about the coolant? could there be a steam leak? another thing to check might be for a kinked or pinched line causing a restriction? feel the lines for hot spots after running. 50 hours? what year is this machine? still under warranty?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Is the fan belt snug ? I also has a heat deflector on the muffler making a squeaky type noise . ( it had a crack in it but I had a lot of hours- for sure ) .

Reactions: Doc

extrafu

Sorry if it took me a couple of days to check things out.

Yes the belt seems snug but there is a fair amount of dust around the pulleys. The RTV is a 2020 and the warranty ended about 3 months ago.

Should I spray some soapy water on the belt and pulleys to clean them up while the engine runs? It's clearly a mess to try to reach all pulleys.

Thanks,

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Should I spray some soapy water on the belt and pulleys to clean them up while the engine runs? It's clearly a mess to try to reach all pulleys.
Myself, I use a LIGHT coat of Fluid Film as a belt dressing. Spray it into the V of the belt and it'll work its way around to the pulleys.

I once had a belt pully bearing that was wearing and made a sound like that on a tractor. A little lubrication would temporarily stop the noise but I had to replace the pully to fix it. I'm sure you know to be careful using lube near the belts as that can cause more noise.

I would think your machine is too new for this to happen but stranger things have happened.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
@extrafu - Yes, that's the product I use. Looks like you pay a lot more for it. Last time I bought, it was $8-9 per can.

extrafu

So I bought a can of Fluid Film and did spray it on the belt when the engine was running. Went for a quick drive - at 50% throttle, no hissing sound. At full throttle, continuous hissing sound. My machine doesn't even have 50 hours - it has 25 hours and less than 100km :-/

Mork

Sounds like the fan belts need snugging up. My 2017 X1100 did this and it drove me crazy. Tightened them up and never heard it after.

extrafu

@Mork Thanks for your response! I'll investigate that route and try to find some info on how to do that.

In the meantime, I've sprayed a lot more Fluid Film 2 days ago and used the RTV for a couple of hours yesterday - I never heard a single thing.

Mork

You have to access both belts by lifting the dump bed and removing the rubber access cover on the wall behind the seats.

ItBmine

extrafu.....you adjust tension with the alternator. Flip your seats up and remove the storage tray. Push on the belt halfway between the fan drive and alternator pulley's. Spec calls for .28 to .34 inch or 7 to 9 mm.
If you need to tighten loosen the bolts on alternator and use a bar to pry on it to tighten belt, then re-tighten bolts.