If one wants to drive “On Road” you should be in an “On Road” vehicle

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
What am I missing here? Aren’t these “off road” vehicles? If one wants to drive “On Road”... shouldn’t an “On Road” vehicle have the necessary devices to prevent serious injury to others On the Road? Does your RTV meet the normal braking capabilities of on road vehicles? Does it meet the handing and crash-worthiness?
If No... then it shouldn’t be ON the road where it endangers me, my family and the public, IMO.... unless it’s an agricultural vehicle and only traveling between farms or such...and meeting requirements for SMV’s.
If you don’t care what damage your vehicle does to property ...then you should keep it on property You Own... not public property that the public decides which rules apply.

To argue otherwise is to argue that it should be legal for you to carry open fires thru public places.... or unlicensed explosives, poisonous gasses.... or anything else that doesn't meet the norms of society in public places.

If you want to travel public roads.... you should meet the requirements of public laws that govern such things.... or lobby to change the laws....or move to where the laws meet your satisfaction.... because your Neighbors have other ideas and that’s why the law IS what it IS in your area.
IMO

I’m ALL FOR less restrictions especially on private citizens. But the reason Society has Laws is because Some People don’t know how to Behave in Public! ... which places us all in the same and equal behavior rules.

Slaw32

I think it's a good thing that you live in a country that allows you to express your options on a forum like this .

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I think it's a good thing that you live in a country that allows you to express your options on a forum like this .
AS you might imagine,... I’m the sort who will express my opinion regardless of where I live.... It ain’t a gift ...it’s an “inalienable right”.
I AM glad that I’m not Navalny and/or a friend of Putin like some persons in recent memory.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Geo - Have you experienced some bad situations with off-road vehicles being on the road?

There's laws which dictate road usage which are normally made a the County, State or Federal level. Then there's (and I quote you) "norms of society" and those can vary widely at a smaller level.

Where I live as it relates to "norms of society", off-road vehicles on back roads are normal. In the summer, off-road vehicles may outnumber cars and trucks on a nice day. The police and town population are fine with that. As a matter of policy, the police are not to pull over off-road vehicles. If they don't like something you've done, they won't pursue but instead will wait until you're home or otherwise off the road.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Geo - Have you experienced some bad situations with off-road vehicles being on the road?

There's laws which dictate road usage which are normally made a the County, State or Federal level. Then there's (and I quote you) "norms of society" and those can vary widely at a smaller level.

Where I live as it relates to "norms of society", off-road vehicles on back roads are normal. In the summer, off-road vehicles may outnumber cars and trucks on a nice day. The police and town population are fine with that. As a matter of policy, the police are not to pull over off-road vehicles. If they don't like something you've done, they won't pursue but instead will wait until you're home or otherwise off the road.
BCZoom, ... I live out in the “country” also, where we are all “rural folk” and we get along just fine with tractors, and off-road vehicles running along on the county roads..sometimes driven by young teens or old folks, etc. I have no axe-to-grind and often drive my own RTV on the county road to retrieve my mail from the box out on the road a couple miles from my house. I am not opposed to off-road vehicles on-the-road at all.... out here where I live and where we all frequently encounter them and so are familiar with them. Our laws (and LEO) accomodate off-road vehicles operated responsibly and properly equipped (such as with SMV-signs and lights, etc.
But in some areas of the country... Connecticut seems to be not entirely in-favor of such things.... there ARE other considerations by the general public .... such as “Safety”... And I AM a safety-conscious person, and I AM in favor of abiding by the law of the land.... Hence my previous post.
Basically, I believe we should all follow the customs and norms (the “law”) of the land. And so I was suggesting that to do otherwise might be a good reason to either talk your neighbors and fellow-citizens to either change the law ... or move to a place which better suits one’s lifestyle.
I also think “familiarity breeds contempt”.... and that our familiarity with our little RTVs sometimes blinds us to the fact they do Not Meet the requirements of on-road vehicles and our operation of them on public roads endangers others more than we might recognize... For example: Is an off-road vehicle required to carry and does all RTV owners carry liability insurance? On-road operation carries the same liabilities of on-road vehicles... and the life of my daughter driving along a dark country road late at night is endangered by an off-road vehicle which does not have the same lighting and reflectors and speed capabilities as an automobile.... etc etc.
Just sayin’...
.... and YES... I HAVE had children driving toys and other off-road vehicles shoot out of a side-road an in-front of my truck-pulling-a-trailer... IN TOWN... where one might be less likely to expect such things. If I’d run-over that kid WHO would have been more at-fault? Me..? For not expecting the unexpected..?? Or the PARENT (or other person) who allowed such things???
Abiding by the local laws is incumbent upon us all, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Geohorn, I moved your post and replies to a new thread of their own.
Discussion of this issue might prove interesting and easier to find in a thread of their own.
If you prefer a different title o the thread just tell me what you think it should be.

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
What am I missing here? Aren’t these “off road” vehicles? If one wants to drive “On Road”... shouldn’t an “On Road” vehicle have the necessary devices to prevent serious injury to others On the Road? Does your RTV meet the normal braking capabilities of on road vehicles? Does it meet the handing and crash-worthiness?
If No... then it shouldn’t be ON the road where it endangers me, my family and the public, IMO.... unless it’s an agricultural vehicle and only traveling between farms or such...and meeting requirements for SMV’s.
If you don’t care what damage your vehicle does to property ...then you should keep it on property You Own... not public property that the public decides which rules apply.

To argue otherwise is to argue that it should be legal for you to carry open fires thru public places.... or unlicensed explosives, poisonous gasses.... or anything else that doesn't meet the norms of society in public places.

If you want to travel public roads.... you should meet the requirements of public laws that govern such things.... or lobby to change the laws....or move to where the laws meet your satisfaction.... because your Neighbors have other ideas and that’s why the law IS what it IS in your area.
IMO

I’m ALL FOR less restrictions especially on private citizens. But the reason Society has Laws is because Some People don’t know how to Behave in Public! ... which places us all in the same and equal behavior rules.
Was this directed towards me?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Was this directed towards me?
Or it might have been for me.
Pubic roads are for the public. People walk on them. Bicycles use them Horses and Horses and buggies use them. People jog on them. Side by side vehicles can and do use the public roads. Why shouldn't they? How do they endanger your family any more than a jay walker or jogger or horse? All of us pay taxes and have a right to use the public roads. Whether it be to cross the main road to get to another trail or backroad, or to drive a ways down that public road to get to the trails. As long as you do it safely it does not endanger anyone any more than a jogger, a bicycle or a horse on the same highway.

Slaw32

That's another , maybe the only great thing about south Dakota . 50.00 per year to insure . And less than that to license . There are a lot if side by sides legally on and off the roads around here .

DK35vince

Several Townships have the Twp. roads open to ATV's/side by sides in our area.
And yes public roads and State Forest ATV trails here do require insurance. (I have full coverage on my UTV)

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
I'm all for being 100% legal, After all I do own an insurance agency. Like I was saying even if I'm insured and registered here, makes no difference, still illegal for my RTV to be on any public road.

There is 1 exception as follows-

CONNECTICUT FARM PLATES - Section 14-49(q)

All the following conditions must be met for a vehicle to qualify for the farm exemption: (1) the vehicle must be used exclusively in agricultural production; (2) an agricultural sales tax exemption permit must be issued by the Department of Revenue Services; and (3) gross farm income in the preceding calendar year was not less than two thousand five hundred dollars. Farm plated vehicles are prohibited from transporting goods for hire (transporting products of others for pay).

Application

The initial application for a farm plate must be made in person at a Department of Motor Vehicles office. If the vehicle being registered is 10 year old or more, or was last registered out of state, it will have to be inspected. Applicants are required to submit, along with the completed farm plate application, an Agricultural Sales Tax Exemption Permit (OR-248) issued by the Department of Revenue Services.

Mileage

Farm plated vehicles are not subject to mileage restrictions in Connecticut.

Emissions

Farm plated vehicles are not subject to Connecticut emissions inspections.

Out of State Travel

Vehicles with Connecticut Farm Plates may travel in states that also have a farm or agricultural registration law. However, the driver of the Connecticut vehicle must comply with the farm registration laws of the state within which he is traveling.

Farm Tractors

Registration of farm (agricultural) tractors and self-propelled agricultural equipment is not required. Farm tractors and self-propelled agricultural equipment may not be used on public roads for transporting good for hire (transporting products of others for pay or for other commercial purposes. When operating on a public road at speeds less than the posted speed limit, the driver of a farm tractor or self-propelled agricultural equipment must yield to vehicles approaching from behind. Farm tractors and self-propelled agricultural equipment not designed or employed in general highway transportation are not permitted on limited access highways.

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
So around here the above is mainly used for trucks in the exclusive use of farm work. Like going to Tractor supply or a feed and ranch type place like Agway. I've seen really old beat up pickups, trailers, or flatbed, and box trucks registered with a farm plate. Almost always a vehicle that would not otherwise pass inspection, and rusted to hell, with broken lights. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
Never seen a tractor, or UTV with farm plates.
And might be worth noting that I've never seen a tractor pulled over either.

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
I have been personally ticketed and towed in the past for my off road motorcycle. But it was my fault for being on prohibited public land. It was at a state park that is frequented by the locals with their quads. I was told "it's cool the cops never come here" well the cop waited for me to come out of the woods. Told me I was lucky he wasn't towing my truck! Even though the truck was legally parked. I guess the ramp and gas can in the truck gave me away. It was my 1st and only time there, but tried telling me he's seen me there all the time. I did have a hell of a good time that day, it was late spring, and the weather was perfect for riding. The trails were well worn, and my old Yamaha IT 200S was running tops, with good tires! I received a $77 ticket, and had to get my bike back from impound.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
I don’t know what in the heck you are rambling on about, please use complete sentences and paragraphs. That said I am more scared of a teenage girl texting behind the wheel of a 4,000lb car than a person in a bright orange rtv screaming along at 20mph.

FTG-05

I see one of my neighbor's on his JD Gator on public roads more than I see him in a licensed vehicle. He's out checking his cattle on a 1 1/2 lane country road. I couldn't care any less.

I even see them on a 2 lane arterial occasionally. They're not holding up traffic, so it's no big deal.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
When going from our house to my son's house I drive mostly on the 1 1/2 lane back roads. On the rare occasion that a car approaches from the rear or from the front, I put on my blinker and pull to the side of the road. This ensures safe passage.

Side by sides are not a problem on most roads if driven safely. 4 lane roads are an exception to that. In my opinion no side by side should ever drive on a 4 lane high speed highway. In the examples the OP gave, side by side with no lights on dark road and his daughter has an accident with them, that is a safety issue. A car or motorcycle with no lights on a dark road would also cause an issue for any other driver and could cause an accident. Same with the example of a side by side not looking and pulling out in front of him while he's driving along pulling a heavy trailer. Again, a safety issue. If a car or motorcycle pulled out in front of him that would also cause an issue for him. I believe it's all about being safe no matter what you are driving or doing on public byway. Be smart, be safe and everyone gets along just fine.

HBTexas

Gold Site Supporter
Good place for this too ?>> Remember when if you were on a roadway riding a bicycle YOU Yielded to Cars and Trucks?? No more the case in most states. Them bicyclers have taken over.. Hit one of them and its Your fault No Matter what !

Reactions: Doc

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I agree HBTexas. The other day, I met a group of them on our country road that is also a seldom used county road. One had a brilliant flickering strobe light in front and it almost triggered a migraine in me. It was terrible and I had to avert my eyes with my hand. Totally ridiculous that could be legal.