Is a Kubota RTV-X1100C considered a LSV (low speed vehicle)?

606timm

This may have been asked already. I have searched and didn't find much. But by definition...

The final rule did not include the rated cargo load requirement proposed in the NPRM. The new definition became effective October 3, 2005 and it reads:

Low-speed vehicle (LSV) means a motor vehicle,

(1) that is 4-wheeled,

(2) whose speed attainable in 1.6 km (1 mile) is more than 32 kilometers per hour (20 miles per hour) and not more than 40 kilometers per hour (25 miles per hour) on a paved level surface, and

(3) whose GVWR is less than 1,134 kilograms (2,500 pounds).

I think the X1100C fits this definition. I'm asking because UTV's aren't allowed on our roads but LSV's are and town officials aren't really giving me much information. Thanks.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Officially I have never seen that in writing but by definition the RTV fits that to a Tee.
Someone posted here on the forums that Kubota keeps it's specs as they are and the vehicle slow so that it is a LSV. Sure seems accurate to me.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Based on speed definition, I'd say the RTV is a LSV.
Based on GVWR, it may not be a LSV. Its weight is under the 2500 pounds but because it has a payload capacity of around 1500 pounds, its total GVWR is closer to 3800 pounds. BTW, according to this, it's been updated to 3000 pounds.

Here's a spec sheet (confirm your model/year to be precise).

Where are you located? I'd check with your local police (with spec sheet in hand) to get their thoughts.

606timm

Ok. I'm currently chatting with our state DNR to find out. I agree, by definition, it fits. I just want to clarify what is allowed and what is needed for LSV registration.

606timm

I was going to fill out the MV-14 below for Wisconsin LSV but noticed the item check box on the bottom of the image about "Low Speed Vehicle manufactured for roadway use and displays required Federal Certification Label as a low speed vehicle". With the attached Certificate of Origin for my Kubot, the bottom states that "This vehicle was not manufactured for use on public streets, roads, or highways."

So...I guess it doesn't apply as a LSV after all?

WI MV14.jpg

Kubota Certificate of Origin.jpg

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Based on that, I agree it doesn't qualify.
Around here, they're registered as ATV's. Although not road legal, the local police won't bother you if you're driving responsibly on back roads.

606timm

Dang. I was trying to see what I can qualify as. My father-in-law just got pulled over on his Polaris UTV by a DNR warden for driving on the road. We never had any issues before. Lots of four-wheelers around here and UTV's parking on the road and then getting off their trailers and going to the boat ramp to ice fish. Warden was nabbing them all for riding on the road. Maybe she/he was having a bad day.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
probably depends on your location. in my ao the utv is allowed on state roads and certain hwy. some towns will issue a permit for a tax of course.

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I bought Tennessee class one off highway tag for my Polaris Ranger. Allows vehicle to be used on county roads. must be able to reach 35MPH. That knocks out the RTV. Also sales tax must be paid. That also knocks out my RTV. I bought it as farm vehicle, tax exempt. I have the bright orange triangle on the back of the rtv and have never been stopped.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
If I could get my hands on a couple of JATO pods, I could achieve 35mph with my x1120. Anyone sitting on a used set they want to part with?

CFS

It depends on the state. In Washington they can be registered as long as you have the DOT package. Same in New Hampshire. My understanding is the DOT package makes it a LSV vs a UTV which doesn't have signal lights and other required equipment.

Iron mike

In Alberta it’s a little foggy as to what is a LSV, as a LSV has to have a propulsion system that does not use fuel, ie: electric or animal drawn.
we do have Slow Moving Vehicles, and that is we’re it’s get foggy, a SMV is a vehicle that travels at 40kph or slower such as a farm tractor, animal drawn vehicle, there is no min or max weight, nor any apparent registration you just need a slow Moving Vehicle sign, ie: orange triangle. If I were to get said sign the RTV would qualify , but then again so would my Wife’s SUV if I set the cruise control at 39kph And stuck the sign on the roof.