Jensen HD radio losing preset memory

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I have the factory Jensen HD radio and the problem I have is that it quite frequently clears all the stations I have programmed in. It does not lose the time, nor is there a problem with loose connections. It happens after about 7 starts when the radio is left on. There is no interruption in reception while it is on and it behaves fine except the once in a while when the memory is cleared of all stations! Anyone have the same problem?

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Considering a lot of inexpensive radios need a fulltime power source to remember presets, is it possible that you have a loose or corroded wire from the battery as they are acting just like they only have a power source when the ignition is on.

Tsunamibob

Considering a lot of inexpensive radios need a fulltime power source to remember presets, is it possible that you have a loose or corroded wire from the battery as they are acting just like they only have a power source when the ignition is on.
Or the loss of power when the starter is engaged causes it to lose the memory

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
The lighted dial never fades and the clock has never had to be reset. The lighted dial shows no dimming when the starter is engaged. In fact this has only happened when the engine is warm and previously run. Never when starting in cold and when the glow plug has needed to be used and the temperature is below freezing. The memory for the station presets and the clock and dial light is on dedicated 5 amp circuit that is always on when the key is on. All the connections are tight and secure.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Those presets are maintained either by an internal battery in the radio or your 12V supply. Assuming no internal components have broken down, first possibility I think of is the internal battery has died. You would have to crack the case and look for a round type battery, like a CR2032. Does your clock reset if you disconnect from power?

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I just took delivery of the new machine in December and have not had the radio out. I have not disconnected the power. I'll pull the 5 amp fuse. That is a good idea. The interesting thing is it is somewhat sporadic - and never happens when the radio is off when I start the machine up - only if the radio is on when I turn it off. I have not been able to duplicate the "problem" with any sense of a pattern other than something like 7 events - but even this is just speculation since I can't seem to duplicate it. I appreciate your ideas and help.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
you didn't let the majik blue smoke escape the radio did you? once it escapes it's impossible to put it back in.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I think it's that internal battery like Ohio Pawpaw mentioned. If the battery is weak/dead, it does seem like it would act up if the radio was left on when the key was turned off. I'm sure not an electrician though so my opinion on this isn't worth much.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Good deal @BiffNH i have a feeling it’s something to do with the bota though. It has done that since i bought mine. I think I set the presets like twice then realized it was erasing them and never used the damn thing again, besides that it’s hard to see up there

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Follow up! I received a RMA from ASA Electronics (Jensen) and wrote a full description about the stations losing pre-set values randomly. The radio was returned promptly with a note saying that after 4 hours of continuous use it operated flawlessly! They did not turn the switched wire source off at all! I spoke with a representative and I received another RMA and they sent me a brand new radio. This again, has the same problem. Clock memory is perfect, but the stations I set get erased randomly. This radio has only a switched wire power source. Kubota has a white/green wire in the harness that is hot all the time that is not used with this radio model. I changed the harness pin location to take advantage of the hot wire and all is fine. Unfortunately, that means the clock is on all the time even though the radio is turned off. The radio does have a low voltage shut off which is a nice feature if the radio is left on. It is nice to have the radio work while the RTV is not running and the key off. I've measured the voltage of the switched wire while starting and the voltage does not drop at all. The clock has never been affected and the capacitance available to keep the time is perfect - the select station buttons just don't work!! :LOL:

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I’d like to but it came with the X1100C!😂. The dealer won’t help me without taking it to them and I bet they won’t figure it out. They are a few weeks out for service. It would be easier to purchase another brand. It is always an option. Nice radio otherwise.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I gave up on mine, speakers are terrible too, but it’s hard to see way up there to tune it in.
I have an off brand one up there and I agree. So hard to see to tune or even change the inputs. Frustrating.