Just got the bad news: My RTV900 needs a new engine.

FTG-05

One of the cylinders has lost compression; requires a rebuild or replacement. :( It smokes like heck. Worse, the throttle/HST linkages are fubared and no one will fix it due to the engine problem. "We stopped when we saw the engine problem!"

I could *probably* live with the smoke and lost of power - if it ran right - but it doesn't.

Who here has the definitive "throttle/HST linkages" set up/tune up guide here?

My dealer says used RTVs are selling like hot cakes: How much do you think I could get for ~1800 hours RTV with a bum engine?

Thanks for listening. :(

v10rick

Site Supporter
Bum RTV900s have been listed and seem to sell quickly, in my area. Some with engine problems but most with transmission issues.
If the body is in decent condition (no cancer from road salt) $2K is the asking price.

What's specifically wrong with the engine? A new OEM head with valves (ready to bolt on) and gasket is about $1100, $900 for a Chinese version. I priced a OEM short block for $2500 several years ago.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
maybe it needs an engine and maybe it doesn't............. pull the glow plugs and make or purchase an adapter to check compression. could be a valve spring or valve or could just be a bad injector. might just need a head????? i would investigate. the linkages aren't that complex unless they are fubar

FTG-05

Bum RTV900s have been listed and seem to sell quickly, in my area. Some with engine problems but most with transmission issues.
If the body is in decent condition (no cancer from road salt) $2K is the asking price.

What's specifically wrong with the engine? A new OEM head with valves (ready to bolt on) and gasket is about $1100, $900 for a Chinese version. I priced a OEM short block for $2500 several years ago.
Bad compression in at least one cylinder. It's burning oil like no tomorrow.

FTG-05

maybe it needs an engine and maybe it doesn't............. pull the glow plugs and make or purchase an adapter to check compression. could be a valve spring or valve or could just be a bad injector. might just need a head????? i would investigate. the linkages aren't that complex unless they are fubar
Local shop already did that. They're going to readjust the linkages so at least I can use it somewhat around the farm until the 850 gets here. Then I'll swap tires and sell it. I'm tired of dealing with it.

FTG-05

They never adjusted the linkages the first guy screwed up. I can get the engine started and running, but no go at all. :(

Still a couple more weeks before the XG gets here.

FTG-05

In the words of the immortal Tom Petty, "the waiting is the hardest part."

Has anyone suggested what might have contributed to engine failure with only 1800 hours?
Two words: Mud.

I've had it about 5 years, but we don't have mud around here. The first time I cleaned out the bottom, there was mud caked everywhere. when I serviced it the first time, the air filter and air filter housing were full of mud.

The head has been replaced at least once, according to the dealer tech; he could tell by the different color, something I never noticed. Basically, I got someone's abused machine. I got five years out of it; enough to know that I can't live without one. It's been a real PITA not having a RTV to run around and carry stuff on the farm.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
if the head was replaced and the metal in the engine had turned blue or appeared to be case hardened then most likely was severely overheated at one time of another. good thingit lasted 5 years. there are applications where these little engines run at full rpm 24/7 and they last decades with many 10's of thousands of hours,but they like any engine don't like to be overheated.

FTG-05

Well, two things have changed since I started this thread:

- I sold the -900 the day after I got my -XG850 (May 20).

- Today I got pics from the buyer: that engine just blew a hole through the block. A connecting rod to one of the pistons broke.

It served me well for about 5 years. RIP little guy. :(

FTG-05

Dang. Is the buyer wanting money back?
No, his text was more of a "here's the latest" type post. I was pretty clear about the condition of the engine and very clear what both techs said about it's condition when I sold it to him . He knew what he was buying and explicitly told me that he believed he was going to have to replace the engine. If this was just a negotiating tactic, it's certainly true now.

Reactions: Doc

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
After pulling my skid plates this past weekend, I will be doing this at least once a year from now on and making regular inspections of the filters, radiator and cooler cores as well as pre-filters. I had no idea they could collect so much crap so quickly. We have to drive two hours to get to the farm so we usually just fire up the equipment we need and roll. You made a good move selling that 900 and I hope you are enjoying the 850.

Reactions: Doc