Kubota MX5000DT

kubmx5000dt

Have a problem can't figure out turn ignition on and left rear light comes on, I've unplugged the light switch but light still comes on any ideas what the problem is

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!
I don't have that tractor but here's a thought.
First, is the tractor new to you? Wondering if the light has been coming on since you got the tractor.
Second, have you or anyone else played with the wiring for the lights in the rear or are these newly installed lights?
What I think you should check:
Look under that left fender for the wiring harness that goes to that light. There should be at least one extra wire which is there for a rearward facing work light. That wire should be hot as soon as you turn on the ignition. I'm thinking your rear light has been plugged into that wire instead of the other that's there that is wired to your light switch. If you have a volt meter, check the other wire to see if you get 12V, but only when the light switch is on.

Reactions: Doc

kubmx5000dt

There is 12 volt only when switch is on , I've had the tractor about 4 years don't see this problem until a couple weeks ago, as for as I know none of the wires have been unplugged I even unplugged the light switch under the dash and rear light still comes on when ignition switch is on ( crazy ) I've checked the wiring on right side and is wired same as left but right side don't come on with ignition switch on

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmm.
Can you turn your lights on with the ignition in the OFF position? If so, do both rear lights come on?
For clarification, are you referring to the brake light built into the fender or the amber hazard light mounted on top of the fender?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here's the parts catalog for your tractor (thanks to Messick's)
If you go to Electrical System then Rear Lamp, two options are shown depending on your tractor serial #. In there, you can see the 2 pigtail electrical connections I was referring to in my first reply. Can you check the voltages for each plug by comparing your right side that's working to the left side?

kubmx5000dt

Hmmm.
Can you turn your lights on with the ignition in the OFF position? If so, do both rear lights come on?
For clarification, are you referring to the brake light built into the fender or the amber hazard light mounted on top of the fender?
No lights on with without ignition switch off and it is the back lights not fender lights,

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OK.
On your tractor, are those back lights running lights only or do you have brake lights?
If you have brake lights and depress the brake pedal, do both sides of your brake lights come on and are equally as bright?
It may be a long shot but wondering if the switch for your brake lights has gone bad (it's stuck in the ON position) and your right side bulb is dead.

kubmx5000dt

OK.
On your tractor, are those back lights running lights only or do you have brake lights?
If you have brake lights and depress the brake pedal, do both sides of your brake lights come on and are equally as bright?
It may be a long shot but wondering if the switch for your brake lights has gone bad (it's stuck in the ON position) and your right side bulb is dead.
no brake lights on this tractor just running lights and signal lights on rear it's 2003 serial # 51279 and like I said only happens on left side

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If these are running lights could the right one be burnt out and they both are supposed to be on whenever you turn the key on?

kubmx5000dt

If these are running lights could the right one be burnt out and they both are supposed to be on whenever you turn the key on?
On this tractor no lights come on until the light switch is turned on that's why I can not figure out the left rear light comes on when key switch is turned on, I can turn on light switch and all lights are on, I'm about ready to just unplug the light that comes on when key is on lol

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A truly unusual problem. Can't blame ya for considering unplugging.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hard to diagnosis electrical issues remotely (through the forum).
I'd suggest you find a wiring diagram for your tractor then follow the light wiring to see what all is in play. I'd start with that wiring harness under your left fender and check voltage at each plug to see if somehow the light is getting power from that hot wire that turns on with the ignition switch.

kubmx5000dt

Well I finally found the problem and still don't see how it could happen, I have a new pack of bulbs that has the chrome housing on them I switched the bulb to right side turned the ignition on and that light came on when it had not been coming on took a bulb out of my 68 roadrunner with brass housing and everything works as it should ( I mean a bulb is a bulb still don't know what the difference is ) anyway thanks for all the imput on this

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Firstly, can you post pics of your Roadrunner? :)
Secondly, the brass or chrome shouldn't make a difference AFAIK. Does the light you took out of the car work properly with the switch?
There is in fact different types of bulbs that will "fit" into that socket. Below is a couple pics.
There's double and single filament bulbs and even those can vary on fit. Does your bulb from the tractor match the bulb from the car? Does the socket in the tractor's light have 1 or 2 contacts?

E.g., here's a double filament bulb. Note the 2 filaments inside the lens and the 2 pins coming out of the sides of the brass are offset (so it can only be inserted one way.
1674492867846.png

In this pic, you can see the 2 contacts at the bottom of the bulb. Also notice the alignment pins are 90 degrees offset from the contacts. Other bulbs may have the alignment pins in-line with the contacts.

1674493006030.png

Here's a single element bulb. Note there's only one filament inside the lens, the pins out the size are at same distance so you can put it in either way and there's only a single contact at the bottom.

1674493046358.png

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here's a partial parts manual for your tractor.

If you look through there (or just type "bulb" in the filter box), you can see there's 5 different bulbs.

kubmx5000dt

There's the Roadrunner bczoom, the bulb has two contacts problem still not fixed with tractor have new bulbs from Kubota on the way I haven't replaced any bulbs since I have had the tractor but it has 1157 bulbs in it so I don't know if the person I got it from had changed them and don't know what # bulb is suppose to be in it again thanks everyone

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Aweosme Road Runner.69? Standard I'll assume. What engine you got in it? Very nice.

Thanks for updating what you've found so far. Truly unusual issues. Now at least others with the issue will have a clue on how to fix it. :tiphat:

kubmx5000dt

Aweosme Road Runner.69? Standard I'll assume. What engine you got in it? Very nice.

Thanks for updating what you've found so far. Truly unusual issues. Now at least others with the issue will have a clue on how to fix it. :tiphat:
!968 I got it in 1978 383 engine 4speed transmission