Kubota RTV 900 stops abruptly

jraylong

When in a forward gear and coasting to a stop, my Kubota stops forward motion abruptly when I take my foot off the fuel. Almost like a lurch. I suspect my transmission linkage is too tight, leaving no free play to neutral for the machine to coast to a stop, or maybe the brakes are too tight and dragging?. .Any advice on this?. I'm a new owner of a 2006 with 560 hours on it.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
The Kubota RTV series uses a tractor-type system which has no “coast down”. It‘s normal for a Kubota. Get used to letting up on the go-pedal gradually instead of suddenly. You will learn to like it…. especially when going down-hill and finding the vehicle doesn’t run-away with you.
Think of “engine braking”.

jraylong

Thanks geohorn for the quick response and enlightening me on the engine brake. We have a horse farm here in rural western PA with lots of hills and plan to do trail riding with it, maybe a bit of real work too, but only as a last resort!..I just got the thing on Friday, so today we plan to put a few miles on it. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Doc

v10rick

Site Supporter
In addition to previous posts be careful when coasting down gravel roads with sharp turns.
I have lost traction and ended up in a drainage ditch.

jraylong, when you are tired of herky jerky pedal buy a coast valve and you will be very happy . i go up and down hills with my 2011xt and was my best improvement ive made on my 900. i now have 300 hr on this valve with no issues. so nice to letup on go peddle and not get your head put thru the windshield. this valve does not free fall going down a hill,there is still breaking with the tranny when you let up on go peddle,just not as much, if things get at a little wild there is a little peddle on the left side of the go peddle called a brake peddle. Cheers Scotty

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Art, if I remember correctly, those coast valves don't help much on an X model is that right? It crosses my mind every time I see a similar thread and I always forget if my X1120 would benefit from one. Thanks

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
jraylong - welcome to the forum.
I also live in W PA and I have a lot of hills. I'd try to get used to the existing setup and just let off the pedal slowly. I installed the coast valve the others have mentioned but took it back out.
When coming down a steep hill with a load of firewood in the bed, in the current configuration you have, I don't ever need to touch the brake. When I installed the coast valve, I was on the brake pretty much the whole way down and was much harder to control.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Jay, welcome to NTT. You will love your RTV. Awesome machines.
I've owned 3 different RTV's, a 900, 1140 and currently a x1100c. All have the 'feature' you describe. Drove me crazy when I bought my first RTV 900, a 2006 model. BCzoom and others replied to me saying I would get used to the abrupt stop and grow to like it, or I could get the coast valve. They were right. I got used to it and now I will say I like it. I also own a Honda Pioneer 1000 and have to ride brakes on some of my hills in SE Ohio. The RTV I hardly ever have to touch the brakes. On my hills that is a real plus. It sure does take some getting used to but over time I suspect you will also come around to liking the way the RTV works.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Art, if I remember correctly, those coast valves don't help much on an X model is that right? It crosses my mind every time I see a similar thread and I always forget if my X1120 would benefit from one. Thanks
i have read that the coast valve for the X is ok but i don't have any direct experience. my X1100c is pretty soft as it is. on the 07 1100 i installed a coast valve and now it is great. for those that don't want to install a coast valve on the older models if you will look at the linkage under the bed there is a dampner that is supposed to protect the transmission from abrupt stops. i would suggest that you renew this dampner to protect your transmission.

jraylong

Thanks for all the helpful hints. After a days riding yesterday, we are getting used to the "herky-jerky" and can see the benefit on a steep downhill with a load. That's all for now....

jraylong, i love my 900xt!!...built like a TANK and has live hyd. (6gal pm) to run attchments...also has wet breaks on all four wheels. these options are why kubotas cost so much new...btw ..you might want to change all oil in motor and tranny and new filters...I did not want to mis lead you on the coast valve...i dont live on a farm with a lot of hills and such..all i know is i got that that coast valve to get rid of the "herky-jerky" and it is so nice to let off peddle for a smooth slowdown..Cheers Scotty