L39 vs L48 ?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dougster said:
It doesn't bother me at all that Kubota added a new top-end megabuck TLB machine to their line-up. All power to them!!! :) I'm just confused why they've left such a large gap in the TLB line-up. I think the only conclusion you can draw is that Kubota must feel that the L39 is a decent, pick-up truck towable line-up replacement for BOTH the L35 and the L48. Many of the performance specs are close... but for my needs, give me an L48 over an L39 any day of the week.

I copied this from the L39 thread, trying not to hijack that thread.
I'm just wondering the reason you would take the L48 over the L39? I have reviewed the specs and they are close. Is it the type of work you would be doing that makes you go for the L48 or what?
I'm just curious. I had wondered why Kubota even had the two models so close to being what I thought of as the same.

Curtisfarmer

The L48 is significantly more machine when parked side by side to L39 and I feel the spec.s are those of the machine way maxed out while the L48 can handle the rated loads comfortably. The machines are to far aprt for me size wize to compare them. The L39 is certainly a beast for the size market it fills, but is not a "full" sized CUT/TLB. I thought about buying one, but felt having L48 that I would try doing to many things the L48 would do that the L39 won't i.e, full pallets, 6' brush hog, HST loader work (although I have owned GST and prefer it for several purposes), building walls with large rocks using forks and thumb, ect. The L39 has balls for sure but is in too small a frame to suit full sized needs. I am in no way demeaning them :respect: as they are great machines, just my 2 cents on the comparison as questioned. You can get a L39 with 5 hours for right around $30k......which is significantly less than a M59 but will perform most tasks for some operators.:wink:

Dougster

Old Member
I copied this from the L39 thread, trying not to hijack that thread. I'm just wondering the reason you would take the L48 over the L39? I have reviewed the specs and they are close. Is it the type of work you would be doing that makes you go for the L48 or what? I'm just curious. I had wondered why Kubota even had the two models so close to being what I thought of as the same.
Bear with me Doc cause I'll be repeating a lot of things I've already said elsewhere in NTT... plus I am only speaking for myself and my particular (read: unusual?) needs.

I happen to like the new design L39 a lot. It's a very slick package with great specs for a machine of it's weight and HP class... and if I wasn't in the business of trying to sell my tractor & backhoe services to survive, I might go for the more modern L39. From all reports, it appears to be a very fine machine. LarryRB... my trusted, sometimes reluctant and occasionally outright disgusted at me backhoe mentor has also given the new L39 his qualified blessing.

But let's be clear here: If and when I'm ever in a position to upgrade or add a new TLB to the stable, I'll be looking for ALL of the digging power I can possibly get in a 3/4-ton pickup truck-trailerable TLB. I'll also be looking for a genuine, honest-to-God bargain... far more likely in a "slightly used" machine than in a brand new one. In my opinion, in the next 1-2 years, there will be far more bargains available in slightly used L48's than L39's... if for no other reason than the introduction of the logical upgrade path M59.

New vs. used aside... and considering the Kubota line-up only... the new M59 is simply too big for me to trailer around to jobs. It's a total non-starter. I'd buy a slightly used full-size machine first, insure & register it... and drive it to my jobsites. The L39 is very easily trailerable and has all the modern design features... but to me, the larger, heavier L48 is still the gold standard (digging power-wise) in a legally trailerable TLB. Last time I checked the local dealers, there was a mere $4,000 price difference (L39 vs. L48) brand new. I view that as representing a clear premium on the inherent value of the new design and a slight closeout discount on the older design. I'll take the older, heavier, more powerful design with the discount! :thumb:

Let me be clear that I don't really care about pretty or modern... or metal vs. composite... or flat surfaces vs. curved one... and yes, I'm well aware that the older design has a few well-known glitches & drawbacks that were largely addressed in the new style machines. In the end, I just want the biggest, best digging machine that I can legally tow on my trailer behind my truck.

I'll also go WAY out on a limb here and also bluntly state that I don't believe the specs are really all as close as Kubota would like us to believe. If you stare at the numbers long enough and consider all of the technical and real world factors, I think the L48 will easily earn that $4K difference back over the long run.

Dougster

larryRB

LarryRB... my trusted, sometimes reluctant and occasionally outright disgusted at me backhoe mentor has also given the new L39 his qualified blessing.
Dougster
Dougster
these nice people on this net are not aware that I call you now and then and ask why you are still testing pogo sticks in your 5 ft high cellar. They will be now though:tiphat: I do, in all honesty call Dougster on ocassion and read him the riot act when it comes to "this" type/size machine for "this" type-size job. And why not? He is fairly new at it and I'm getting away from machines for the most part. And besides, he needs the training.

LarryRB... my trusted, sometimes reluctant and occasionally outright disgusted at me backhoe mentor has also given the new L39 his qualified blessing.
Dougster
Dougster
these nice people on this net are not aware that I call you now and then and ask why you are still testing pogo sticks in your 5 ft high cellar. They will be now though:tiphat: I do, in all honesty call Dougster on ocassion and read him the riot act when it comes to "this" type/size machine for "this" type-size job. And why not? He is fairly new at it and I'm getting away from machines for the most part. And besides, he needs the training.

But the real question here Larry :poke:is he really trainable?:yum: :bangin::hide:

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster these nice people on this net are not aware that I call you now and then and ask why you are still testing pogo sticks in your 5 ft high cellar. They will be now though:tiphat: I do, in all honesty call Dougster on ocassion and read him the riot act when it comes to "this" type/size machine for "this" type-size job. And why not? He is fairly new at it and I'm getting away from machines for the most part. And besides, he needs the training.
First, we need to teach you how to do proper quotes! ;)

But then Larry... I hope you don't think that comment was meant as anything other than total respect and thanks for all the help you have given me and my struggling little business over the last couple years. I know it hasn't always been easy for you. I am stubborn as a mule at times... but then again, so are you!!! :D

Dougster

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks guys for the comparisons. I agree $4000 is a lot of cash, but for the difference in these two machines it doesn't seem like that much.
Go figure. But the M59 does not appear to be the L48 replacement, it's to big. I wonder what Kubota has up their sleeve?

edit to add:
I did a little tweaking on the quotes in question. :hide:

Dougster

Old Member
But the real question here Larry :poke:is he really trainable?:yum: :bangin::hide:
There is no way on God's green (or winter white) earth that I will ever reside in the same advanced, graduate-level backhoe operator's class as Larry. Heck, he has a 30 freakin' year lead on me, has an unlimited license and owns a stronger backhoe. :eek: Gimme a break here! :rolleyes:

Plus he can practice anytime he wants on his palatial lakeside resort in Northern CT.

I mostly need to practice using something called "on-the-job training"!!! :D

Dougster

Dougster

Old Member
But the M59 does not appear to be the L48 replacement, it's to big. I wonder what Kubota has up their sleeve?
But that's the funny part Doc. It actually *is* the L48's replacement.

Don't let the $10,000 price difference (L48 vs. M59) fool you!!!

Dougster

Curtisfarmer

But that's the funny part Doc. It actually *is* the L48's replacement.

Don't let the $10,000 price difference (L48 vs. M59) fool you!!!

Dougster
For those who question the L39 vs. L48, lets be clear....the M59 is the high level TLB....as is the L48. Comparing L48 to L39 is same as B21 vs. l39. 2 different classes. Park a L39 next to a L48 and see for yourself, and a L39 next to a M59 is the same comparison. $4K more for a L48 to a L39 is 1-2 jobs payback for me and justifies the L48 over the L39 by far. If people can get L48s cheap in the future due to M59 replacements, absolutely do so as there are few machines that = the L48 in most, if not all catagories. And that specifically is the biggest 10,000 lbs. or less TLB (with multiple BH operations and ax. hyd.s) with 3pt. hitch. The L39 is the nice smaller brother to the M59, but is not the older L48 equivalent by many measures.:hide:

Dougster

Old Member
For those who question the L39 vs. L48, lets be clear....the M59 is the high level TLB....as is the L48. Comparing L48 to L39 is same as B21 vs. L39. 2 different classes. Park a L39 next to a L48 and see for yourself, and a L39 next to a M59 is the same comparison. $4K more for a L48 to a L39 is 1-2 jobs payback for me and justifies the L48 over the L39 by far.
I take your point... but you obviously have significantly more profitable jobs than me! :eek: What is your job focus/market?
If people can get L48s cheap in the future due to M59 replacements, absolutely do so as there are few machines that = the L48 in most, if not all catagories. And that specifically is the biggest 10,000 lbs. or less TLB (with multiple BH operations and ax. hyd.s) with 3pt. hitch.
As I mentioned in another thread, brand new L48's have all but disappeared in my area. I am hoping to see some trade-ins and sales by individuals in the fall and summer for those folks who plan to upgrade to an M59. My fingers are crossed anyway! :)
The L39 is the nice smaller brother to the M59, but is not the older L48 equivalent by many measures.:hide:
Well, that's what started this thread: the remarkable similarity in key specs. And there certainly seem to be a lot of very happy L39 owners around. But for me, there is no good substitute for maximum weight, maximum reach and maximum power in a pick-up truck-trailerable TLB. If you are going to attack a job commercially, it's the only way to fly.

Dougster

As I mentioned in another thread, brand new L48's have all but disappeared in my area. I am hoping to see some trade-ins and sales by individuals in the fall and summer for those folks who plan to upgrade to an M59. My fingers are crossed anyway! :)

Dougster

Doug...there are three low L48s traded in here...

http://www.ironsearch.com/IRONsearc...=8028492830&group_id=&type=*&make=&eqstatus=0

Tractor Loader Backhoe...Kubota...L48...2001...516...$33500 (USD) very clean...View Details ...2/1/2008
Tractor Loader Backhoe...Kubota...L48...2001...709...$31500 (USD) 4wd w/11' hoe...View Details ...2/1/2008
Tractor Loader Backhoe...Kubota...L48...2002...300...$33900 (USD) many extras, 4wd, 11' hoe, hst, 3pt. & ptoView Details ...2/1/2008

Dougster

Old Member
Doug...there are three low L48s traded in here...
And I hope you're noticing Paul that they aren't exactly giving these things away. :eek: Those are premium prices in my book... far more than I can afford to pay for what amounts to an in-kind upgrade of what I already own... when decent (and often newer) used JD 110's are going in the $22K to $27K range and I've seen a couple near-new Yanmar CBL-40's go for well under $30K. In a down housing construction market with such equipment being dumped left and right, you'd expect asking prices to be a little better than shown for those aging L48's.

The bottom line is that Kubota remains the gold standard in terms of high resale value... and unless/until the introduction of the M59 floods the market with slightly used L48's... owning a decent used L48 will remain, for me, an impossible dream. :(
:starbucks: Dougster

larryRB

not really,
right after I pick up the Irish sweepstakes winning ticket, I'll sell you mine cheap compared to the other figures listed,

Dougster

Old Member
not really,
right after I pick up the Irish sweepstakes winning ticket, I'll sell you mine cheap compared to the other figures listed,
Larry - Unless you lose your mind after the big win, you will still sell out to the highest bidder... which given the continuing "death spiral" of my business, personal finances and 401(k)... is unlikely to be moi! :eek:

Besides... what is it they say? Never sell a used anything to a friend! ;)

Dougster :starbucks:

p.s., Conex CT on *Wednesday* if that works for you. :) -d

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
not really,

If your ship does come in via the Irish sweepstakes why don't you buy all your buddies here a new M59? I'm sure you could get a discount if you buy them 100 at a time :pat:

Curtisfarmer

I thought about buying used, but at those prices for used L48s posted above, why spend only a couple 4-5$K less for a 6 year old machine with hundreds of hours......and no warranty? It is cheaper and better to buy new if you are going to have it a while. The extra cost is minor and easily recouped in a few good jobs or a good season.

Dougster

Old Member
I thought about buying used, but at those prices for used L48s posted above, why spend only a couple 4-5$K less for a 6 year old machine with hundreds of hours......and no warranty? It is cheaper and better to buy new if you are going to have it a while. The extra cost is minor and easily recouped in a few good jobs or a good season.
What is a good job??? And a good season??? :eek:

Just kidding you. :) Your point is entirely valid. Even my local Kubota dealer admits: It makes no economic or practical sense to buy a used Kubota from a Kubota dealership. For that reason, he almost never takes trades. I sometimes wonder if the old one (L48) on his lot is a rental unit or repossession... or simply the result of a lucrative new tractor deal that was simply too good to pass up. :)

Dougster :starbucks:

Curtisfarmer

Used equipment even at a dealer is 12-14% compared to 0%/ 3 years. The financing makes a new machine almost = out the door cost of new machine, with no warranty. When I thought about trading my L48 in and up for a M59, they offered less than 1/2 new.....with 1,000 +/- hours. If they took the L48 for a trade, they probably took it for a song. I believe the dealer doesn't get the repos back, they go to auction, and my dealer said he hardly ever sees a repo.:eek: