Lets talk tires one more time

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have been reading tires threads, lots of good info but I still have a question or two.

Mainly, I notice most buy the same width all around. I think OEM for the x1100c is 9 on front and 11 on the rear, or even 12" on the rear (25x12x12)
Like most I want more height so I'm leaning going to a 27x9x12 front and 27x11x12 rear. I need a tire good in mud so I'm primarily looking at the infamous Blackwater evolution and also considering Tusk Terrabite.

when I bought my Honda Pioneer 1000 it had 26x10x14 on the front and 26x12x14 on rear. when I upgraded I went 28x11x14 for all four on a wheel and tire deal from my Honda dealer. Cornering performance and stability changed some. Not major but I noticed it. Now I'm used to it. The honda is a good bit faster and driven different than the RTV so I am not sure if wider in back and narrower in front would be good or not. But since 90% of time is in 2wd (and I'm the dummy that will go in 2wd till I can't go no more then switch to 4wd) so wider for the two rear once might be handy. What say you?

I

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Doc, Well, tires make the machine -when you are in muddy conditions - that is. I did love my BEs because of that. They could handle the weight and were aggressive so just what I needed here on the cattle farm. I had 9 " in front and 11 " in the back. I could go in 2wd a lot of muddy places with them. :) Good Luck on what you decide. :) :) :17875: collie

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Collie. that is the way I'm leaning but I was wondering why so many go with the same width for all 4?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I would call the owner at the all terrain tire place and see what he had to say also . If I remember right it was called allterrainonline and they are based in TX. I think I posted his name on one of the threads where I talked about my tires years ago. .. It's a family business though I do remember that.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks again Collie. I think part of the reason for going same width for all four might be so you can rotate front and rear tires, at least that is what a couple dudes on a honda Pioneer 1000 site said.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm having trouble reading these tires to see what size they are. Wheels looks so small, must be 12's.
I'm considering going with 14 inch wheels.
Has anyone run 27x11x14 on an x1100c? Just wondering if they'd fit or If I should go to 26's.7.jpeg8.jpeg

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Those tires say 25x10x12 (someone else please confirm).
That's the standard size, at least for my RTV.

HBTexas

Gold Site Supporter
I would confirm that size is indeed 25x10x12 . (zoom in can see the size)
I put the Tusk Terrabite on mine 26x11x14 (and wheels) love em so far.
Seems like Arthuritis has the 27's on his x1100

At least ya already got nice wheels DOC. mine just had the ole steel wheels on it.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks guys, I zoomed but still could not catch the size.
I reread Aurhuritis's need for speed thread yesterday and I believe he also has 26's ...maybe on 12" wheels.
I'm wanting a little more ground clearance and agree those are nice wheels so I'll have to whittle on this for a bit.

Edit to add, once I rotated the pic I found the size. :pat: Thx again guys.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I quit procrastinating and went to Rocky Mountain ATV and bought 2 Blackwater Evolution 27x11x12 for the rear and two 27x9x12 for the front. Supposed to arrive at my place on Christmas eve. I won't bet on that but at least my decision is made.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats Doc. I think you'll really like them . :) The stiff sidewalls took a lot of limb hits and kept on going for me.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I quit procrastinating and went to Rocky Mountain ATV and bought 2 Blackwater Evolution 27x11x12 for the rear and two 27x9x12 for the front. Supposed to arrive at my place on Christmas eve. I won't bet on that but at least my decision is made.
make sure the radius and circumference is exactly the same or you can damage the 4wd

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
make sure the radius and circumference is exactly the same or you can damage the 4wd
thanks, but I looked at specs and they did not mention either of those. If buying the same brand and the same size other than two wider than the other isn't it a given they will be correct. I sure as heck hope so.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
thanks, but I looked at specs and they did not mention either of those. If buying the same brand and the same size other than two wider than the other isn't it a given they will be correct. I sure as heck hope so.
no sir.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I never had any trouble with my Blackwater E's - 9" wide in front 11" wide in rear . Enjoy them Doc. :)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A simple way to ensure all is okay would be to set all four tires side by side on a level surface and put a level across the top. Circumference would be easy to check for each tire. Radius mounted or not would be tricky with the knobby tires, but the level might work.