New Holland tech???

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi, welcome to our forums.
There are quite a few excellent mechanically inclined members here. I am not aware of a NH tech, but maybe we'll both be pleasantly surprised.

Fedup

I know it's ua long shot but is there any New Holland tech's/mechanics on here???
THANKS!!
New Holland tech. I'm not quite sure if your description of that term agrees with mine, but I spent some years with a New Holland dealership back when the TL series tractors were sold new. I worked on my share of them at that time, and got to know them fairly well.

I've read your posts (here and elsewhere) concerning your current problem, and for a couple reasons I have not responded. For one, it's been a few years since those days and your particular symptoms don't exactly come to mind. For another, I don't know how your particular tractor is configured so offering suggestions might be counter productive. On the other hand, since you seem to be coming up empty on replies, maybe I can help somehow.

Also, the problem really doesn't make sense. Does your tractor have a mid mount valve stack for a loader? I'm not sure what that would have to do with it, but I would need to establish some basics. As I remember it, following the standard open center configuration, oil flow from the pump goes first to the mid mount valve (if so equipped) then to the factory rear remote valve stack, and last to the lift system valve body. So your three point operation is sporadic, at best. the only way to get any action is by working remote valve levers? In theory, all that would do is temporarily interrupt oil flow to the lift valve and force it over relief somewhere. When the remote valve returns to neutral the oil flow into and through the lift valve resumes. My first guess would be something is sticking within the lift valve assembly, and the quick pulses of fluid flow stopping, starting, stopping, starting again are somehow affecting that flow to the lift cylinder when the levers are positioned to demand it. I don't remember a lot of problems with those valve bodies at the time. There were a few, but I don't recall that one.

I would be inclined to remove the valve body, strip it down and look for a spool or part that's not sliding freely. The valve body mounts in front of the lift housing facing forward, held in by four bolts. (probably allen head) there is another control valve bolted onto it that must be removed to access the bolts. If your tractor is open station, then access is fairly simple.

NHcowman

Thank you sir!!! I really do appreciate your time explaining to me how that hydraulic system works!
Yes my tractor has mid hydraulic an control for a loader. but doesn't have a loader on at this time.
An it is doing just as you said when the remote lever is returning to neutral. The lift arms jump up 1/2" or so.

Unfortunately yes my tractor does have a cab....
Will the cab have to come completely off to access the lift valve body?

Fedup

No, you won't need to remove the cab. I can't remember exactly, but I'm sure when you pull the floor mats out there are panels that unbolt to allow access to much of what's under the cab.

NHcowman

Not on this one the underside of the cab is one solid peice of steel...... The cab sets up off the frame probably 4"or 5" an that's plenty of room to get to the bolt's/lines... But is that enough room to get the top of the case off???

Fedup

You don't want to remove the lift housing. Just the valve body that's mounted in the front face of it.

NHcowman

Heyyy man!!! Thanks for al the help I did find metal shavings in the control valve.... An I placed the packing on the lift cylinder. Lift works great but doesn't come al the way up.......?
Any idea what it could be???
Thanks!

Fedup

No, not really. Metal shavings in the control valve is troubling, but then the symptoms you started with are unusual to begin with. At least in my experience.

NHcowman

I got ya......
I'm 101 percent sure the shavings came from a junk aftermarket pump.......? That came apart a couple years back. What tells the control Valve ok you are good. stop sending fluid to the lift cylinder??? Other than the safety at the end of its stroke

Fedup

If you had the valve apart you know there are multiple spools and passages in there. I have no idea which ones do what. There is also linkage connected to the draft and position control levers, as well as the rockshaft. All of that interacts with the spools in the valve body. In order to answer that question you need a service manual with the section on the lift system theory of operation. There are multiple pages of color chart diagrams that explain how all that takes place. No way to answer that here.

Reactions: Doc

NHcowman

I do understand stand what u are saying for sure..... I have the service manual an still dnt know what I'm looking @.... 🤣🤣🤣
On ua side note...........
I wouldn't be on here asking dumb questions if there wasn't a strip mall an twn houses. Where there used 2b be a dairy an NH dealer 🫤
Thanks again 4 the help!!!!!!

Reactions: Doc