NEW Warn XT40 ATV Winch

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Bet that is going to be a great winch .... Looked at it, and it shows that that package deal is coming in with a Synthetic Rope and a Roller Fairlead >>>></P>

I have never owned a Syn line on any of my winches, but many say you suppose to run a Hawse style fairlead >>>> Must be a special winching rope >>>> But, I like that winch, it's going to be a big seller , and also noticed it has a limited lifetime warranty ..... </P>

JW1

If I am going to spend $500 on a winch this is what I will put on.</P>

http://www.4wheelonline.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=1576&ProductId=5447</P>

Spoke with one dealer and that is what they are installing on the 1100's now. A local fabricator is building brackets to mount this to the frame of the RTV. You can get for the same money a 9,000 pound warn winch weighing 77 pounds with 100' of 5/16" cable vs a 14 pound winch with 50' of synthetic rope. I am the heavy duty type myself so I will either take the new warn 8,000 off of a 4x4 I am going to sell or buy the warn 9k tabor. If weight is an issuefor you then the 40xt should be a good choice.</P>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i was going to say the same thing that winch is made for a truck or car . now i could run it because i have two batteries and two charging sytems . the stock system puts out 21 amps to the stock car battery 550cca and the toyota tercel alternator i installed puts out 100 amps to a marine deep cycle battery 800/900 cca . and i have a disconnect switch in between the two batteries so if one goes dead i just flip the switch and just start myself off .lol but that winch would draw some power .

doggman

Their chart shows that at a 9000 lb. pull that thing draws 556 amps! I'd like to see the wiring harness. 4/0 welding cable which weighs 8 lbs./ft. is rated at 440 amps. Something doesn't sound right...</P>

ez chair

Hi Two Guns, Warn has a "Polished" roller flairhead made for syn rope. they developed it for snowplow use. They say better than Hawse because of less friction. I looked at the Tabor 9000, then asked myself "have I gone over the edge on overkill?". I also said if Two Guns is using a 3000 and can't kill it, then isn't 4000 enough overkill. After all if you hooked high in the tree you could pull the RTV up it with a 3000.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
why not just take your regular roller fairleads off and hit them with a flapper whell on a grinder ? that will polish them up so you can see yourself in them . then you won't have to swap out nuthin. right???

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The reason for switching to the Hawse is the corners.

Since the rope is so much more flexible, it can get caught in the corners of the rollers. Basically, the 2, 5, 7 & 10 o-clock positions (were the rollers meet), the rope can pinch between the rollers. That's the main reason for switching to the Hawse.

ez chair

Hi BC, Talked with Warn rep. He stated that their tolerance on the rollers is so tight in the corners on the syn flairhead it can't grab the rope. Bad news is price is going to be $600+. That is $150.00 more that the RT40 steel wire, wired remoteversion. Rep also stated the Tabor 9000 draws to many amps to work on the stock RTV battery and charging system.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
It wouldn't be no doubt, that's one of the first things changed out would be the battery. Point in the direction of the Optima Deep Cycle Marine battery. Somewhere in the area of 900-1200 cca ...... My next RTV, will have Tabor 9000, considering the price of them.... @ $464.99 , that price is not back compared to the smaller winches..... More bang for the buck !!! Oh, by the way, next RTV willNOT be a new RTV 500 >>>></P>

But, as most folks know, 99% of the time, when your winching out a vehicle, you don't have to winch but just a couple of feet, and your out !!!! Vehicle can go on it's own then ..When I have winched out at a distance before, I will winch a couple of feet, and wait a minute, winch a little, and wait, that way, you don't overheat the winch & gives the alternator time to try to catch up ... When a winch is in use, some people don't realize, that that darn winch motor gets hot, I don't care how big of a winch, battery, alternator one has, them little starter motors run hot !!!!!!*** Keep winding on that winch motor for tolong, and you'll be replacing that winch or motor >>>>Always tried to keep my winch motor as cool as possible, for running a winch motor to hot has ruined more winches than you can imagine .......</P>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2> <FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=5>>>> Two Guns >>></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=5></FONT></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

ez chair

Hi Two Guns, Has your 3000 ramsey ever let you down? I'm close to getting a Warn 4000. Patience always is a possitive addition to any crisis. This last snow storm I was "winging back the snowbanks on the side of a neighbor's roadway when I slipped off the shoulder with one of my rear wheels headed for the brook 6 feet below. I camly stopped the truck, got out took my shovel, cleared the snow out in front of my blade, sanded in front of the wheels still on solid ice and slowly drove the truck out. Twenty years ago I would have stepped on the gas and ended in the brook. Old age and patience wins again.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
EZ,</P>

My Ramsey 3000 pounder has never let me down . Patience is a big plus to a crisis....</P>

Yes Sir, OLD AGE & PATIENCE IS ALWAYSTHE WINNER !!!! [:D]</P>

BULLDOG

Nice winch, just be careful using a wireless winch or wireless go light with a two way radio in close proximity. </P>

I learned my lesson the hardway. I went through 3 go lights on different equipment untilI realized every timeI keyed up the two way radio it was interfering with the go light and burned out the electric motor that swivels the light around. OnceI realized what was happeningI added a toggle switch to the light tocut off the power to prevent this from happening. But after your done using the light you must "remember to shut the switchback off " or you can only guess what happens again.</P>

Just a costly word of advise!!!!!!!!</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Thanks Bulldog,</P>

I have a toggle " cut-off " in my gang switch panel, going to my GoLight >>>>> I was warned about this about the time I purchased the light.... When I called Code 3 about a question about some other installation procedure, that's when that information was told. And there are no warning papers in themanual of the GoLight of this needing to be done !!!!!</P>

I bet that was a hard lesson to shake >>>>></P>

</P>

</P>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2> <FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=5>>>> Two Guns >>></FONT></FONT></DIV>

BULLDOG

Yea that was a hard one to shake, but they did warranty 2 of the Golights, as for the third one i sent back a couple of months ago it stillhas not yet found its way back home.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I'd be calling and finding out, the longer one has to wait, it will be harder to find, including the paperwork if need be ~~~~~~ Which you already know, them things don't come cheap >>>>></P>

</P>