Newbie Considering X1140, Feedback Welcome

ItBmine

So far all I have seen announced is a dessert sand color and a flatbed for the RTV's.

As for the speed, I called and spoke to Kubota Canada and begged them to give me 30 MPH and they said they would never increase the speed on the RTV diesel's because at 25 MPH they fall into that class where only an SMV tri-angle is needed for road travel.
They told me if I need speed they have the 850 Sidekick for that.

TechJunkie

So far all I have seen announced is a dessert sand color and a flatbed for the RTV's.

As for the speed, I called and spoke to Kubota Canada and begged them to give me 30 MPH and they said they would never increase the speed on the RTV diesel's because at 25 MPH they fall into that class where only an SMV tri-angle is needed for road travel.
They told me if I need speed they have the 850 Sidekick for that.
ItBmine, this is exactly what I expected. I asked several dealers what they heard at the recent owners meeting and said something different. Even as to the reason for the shortage. Some said tires and rims, some said seats and covers at least they all said rolled steel. Only one dealer mentioned the possibility of a four seat sidekick and faster units. I am not waiting, the X1140 meets my needs and you know the issue of waiting for what might come next, you never end up with anything. I bought a new F150 in 2020 and the new 2021s had been announced. The new big media screen really caught my eye but what I bought fit my needs 100 and I saved a lot of money when I purchased. So far I haven't been sorry and love my truck. I expect the X1140 to be the same.

I told my dealer that I wished they would make the X1140 go at least 29 rated like the X1120 but in reality speed isn't my biggest need. The X1140 checks every box. Speed would be nice occasionally but would seldom be used in my use case.

Reactions: Doc

ItBmine

I do long trail rides with my RTV-X1100C all the time. I just would like the 30 MPH for the long road sections connecting trails, but otherwise I don't mind the 25 speed. I had my years of fast riding, now I like looking at the scenery and wildlife.

I bought a 2020 F150 last year too. Then the 21's came out and I like the new body style. Was thinking of trading because people are getting more for their used trucks than what they paid for them, but then somebody made a good point to me...."do you really want to buy anything right now when they are scrambling to find any mico-chip and parts they can find to get them built and out the door?"
I'll just keep my 20 for now. I like it anyway.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
When you do “long trail rides’…. how often do you actually achieve full speed or would you do the imagined 30 mph?

To go 30 miles per hour versus 25 mph over 15 miles the difference in time if you NEVER LET UP OFF THE PEDAL….would be 6 minutes…which would make only TWENTY-SECONDS difference for each mile.

And the RIDE would SCARE you on real trails.

TechJunkie

When you do “long trail rides’…. how often do you actually achieve full speed or would you do the imagined 30 mph?

To go 30 miles per hour versus 25 mph over 15 miles the difference in time if you NEVER LET UP OFF THE PEDAL….would be 6 minutes…which would make only TWENTY-SECONDS difference for each mile.

geohorn: this is my rationale on the X1140. A little more speed might be nice when running to town or the friends house but in reality even my 4wheeler lives under 25 as I currently use it with a trailer for property maintenance and hunting. In both scenarios I am dealing with trees etc so slow and steady. Even running in town I figure the tradeoff of speed for the anticipated durability and longevity of the RTV is a trade-off I am willing to make. My wife’s comment when we discussed the pros and cons of the RTV to UTV was “if you need to go faster than the RTV on the road take your truck. Your cant even do 25 anywhere on our property.“

ItBmine

Well here's a couple different scenario's to try and explain. When I ride my atv's, I notice I don't go over 30 MPH. Even on the roads, as by law here, that is the speed limit for an atv. Plus, unlike a lot of people, I am respectful going past peoples houses.

Trail riding my RTV, I don't even hit the 25 MPH on the trails. I have done 25 on the trails, but It doesn't have the same plush suspension as my atv's. I don't doubt it will take a beating and it sure is more comfortable sitting in the cab than on my atv's. But I tend to baby it and just cruise along.
Where I do pin it to 25 MPH is on the road sections to connect different trail loops. This is where I'd like the speed to do 30 MPH. I have had mine up to 27 MPH on my Garmin on a down grade.

Now, different story when I ride with my friends. Not kids, they are in their 60's and 70's......but they have 1000 turbo's and like to do 50 to 60 MPH. Needless to say, I don't use the RTV on these rides.

One place I like to ride requires a few miles, probably 15 miles or so, on a secondary highway. The RTV would require me to trailer it to the trail head. On my atv's, I just blast up the highway.

I just want to be able to use my RTV for everything and get rid of the atv's. But I guess there is only going to be one solution. Wait until I recoup the money I spent buying my RTV and Boss plow, then go buy a 850 Sidekick with a cab, LOL

TechJunkie

Well here's a couple different scenario's to try and explain. When I ride my atv's, I notice I don't go over 30 MPH. Even on the roads, as by law here, that is the speed limit for an atv. Plus, unlike a lot of people, I am respectful going past peoples houses.

Trail riding my RTV, I don't even hit the 25 MPH on the trails. I have done 25 on the trails, but It doesn't have the same plush suspension as my atv's. I don't doubt it will take a beating and it sure is more comfortable sitting in the cab than on my atv's. But I tend to baby it and just cruise along.
Where I do pin it to 25 MPH is on the road sections to connect different trail loops. This is where I'd like the speed to do 30 MPH. I have had mine up to 27 MPH on my Garmin on a down grade.

Now, different story when I ride with my friends. Not kids, they are in their 60's and 70's......but they have 1000 turbo's and like to do 50 to 60 MPH. Needless to say, I don't use the RTV on these rides.

One place I like to ride requires a few miles, probably 15 miles or so, on a secondary highway. The RTV would require me to trailer it to the trail head. On my atv's, I just blast up the highway.

I just want to be able to use my RTV for everything and get rid of the atv's. But I guess there is only going to be one solution. Wait until I recoup the money I spent buying my RTV and Boss plow, then go buy a 850 Sidekick with a cab, LOL
I while I am close to the Badlands ATV/UTV park In Attica Indiana, I don't trail ride nor does any of my friends. If I did I might reconsider since once my 4wheeler goes to the ATV park in the sky I will not replace it. If I wanted or needed to run between fields far apart I would also reconsider but that isn't something I have to worry about. For me is is just maintenance on my 15 acres and hunting and the occasional 3 or 5 mile run. I hope this isn't a decision I regret but I feel pretty comfortable with the decision at the moment. My test rides seem to confirm this but time will tell. Thank for the feed back ItBemine.

ItBmine

No matter what you buy, there are trade-off's. It's all a matter of picking the one that checks the most boxes. And for me, I wouldn't trade my RTV for anything. Better built, better quality components and better resale and dealers than my Polaris's.

TechJunkie

No matter what you buy, there are trade-off's. It's all a matter of picking the one that checks the most boxes. And for me, I wouldn't trade my RTV for anything. Better built, better quality components and better resale and dealers than my Polaris's.
My rational as well. Hopefully Kubota is able to get more units out the door. I just hope they are paying close attention to build quality due to staff turnover etc.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
That’s true of (almost) anything/everything in life …they are compromises … boats are either good for open-ocean or quiet back-waters… a flat-bottom does not make a good cruise-ship and a deep-vee is not good for duck-hunting… Ferraris make horrible off-road vehicles and RTVs are not gonna win any road-races.

(The “almost” compromise does not apply, of course, to marriage. My wife is the BEST cook, BEST home-maker, BEST lover, BEST advisor, BEST friend, MOST beautiful woman anywhere.) :whistling:

TechJunkie

That’s true of (almost) anything/everything in life …they are compromises … boats are either good for open-ocean or quiet back-waters… a flat-bottom does not make a good cruise-ship and a deep-vee is not good for duck-hunting… Ferraris make horrible off-road vehicles and RTVs are not gonna win any road-races.

(The “almost” compromise does not apply, of course, to marriage. My wife is the BEST cook, BEST home-maker, BEST lover, BEST advisor, BEST friend, MOST beautiful woman anywhere.) :whistling:
Sounds like somebody is angling for a new toy or accessory! haha

TechJunkie

So Tech, did you ever get the new ride? If so where are the pics?
Hunter, well this is the current status of my X1140: sitting in the assembly area at the dealership. I found one and the dealer made me the best deal of all the ones I had talked to. They said all of the accessories are in except two, the multi accessory wiring harness and the Warn Axon winch are on backorder. They have the bed off and will be lining 100% of it according to the owner. I was surprised they even line the underneath side of the bed. Should be ready in a couple of weeks if the last two accessories show up. I have several accessories already waiting to install when it is delivered. Two more weeks seems like an eternity! :blob_blue:

IMG_9831.jpeg
IMG_9830.jpeg

TechJunkie

I will be sure to post up some "It's Here" photos when it is delivered. My wife is beginning to question all of the deliveries that have arrived over the last week. :hide:

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
TechJunkie…and others….: What do you guys plan to do…or already do…with a winch on an RTV?

Mine came with a Warn winch on it and I use the RTV all over the ranch…and have YET to find any reason for that winch…. and the fact it’s a cute little thing also leads me to believe it probably couldn’t pull a loose tooth anyway. If an RTV were stuck in the mud I doubt that little toy winch would really make any difference.

My son has a Kawasaki Mule and he bought a winch and mounting plate…and in 3 years has yet to actually install it. When I asked him ”why” he wants a winch…his reply was that he planned to use it to hoist a deer up a tree to clean the deer. In the meantime he’s simply done that by hand.
In my mind…. If I wanted to pull a rope to hoist a deer I’d just tie the rope to the bumper and back the vehicle uP! Seems simple enough.

So I’m asking those who actually USE their winch…if any of you do for serious work….. How and for what?

TechJunkie

TechJunkie…and others….: What do you guys plan to do…or already do…with a winch on an RTV?

Mine came with a Warn winch on it and I use the RTV all over the ranch…and have YET to find any reason for that winch…. and the fact it’s a cute little thing also leads me to believe it probably couldn’t pull a loose tooth anyway. If an RTV were stuck in the mud I doubt that little toy winch would really make any difference.

My son has a Kawasaki Mule and he bought a winch and mounting plate…and in 3 years has yet to actually install it. When I asked him ”why” he wants a winch…his reply was that he planned to use it to hoist a deer up a tree to clean the deer. In the meantime he’s simply done that by hand.
In my mind…. If I wanted to pull a rope to hoist a deer I’d just tie the rope to the bumper and back the vehicle uP! Seems simple enough.

So I’m asking those who actually USE their winch…if any of you do for serious work….. How and for what?
Geohorn,

I can only speak for myself but I use the winches quite often. I use a winch when hanging tree stands to pull them up into the tree. I have used them for controlled pulls when placing tension on lines and pulleys when felling trees. I have a gambrel and hang deer, especially now that I have arthritis in my back. I have also winched deer up steep ravines to the field edge when it was too steep to drag the deer by hand. You could always tie a rope to the back or front and just put it in gear and go but a winch allows you to control a pull better if setup right. I also see a winch as good insurance. Recently after a hunt we had a machine break down and my winch saved the evening. I will note that I seldom single line pull. If I am doing real work with a winch I always use pulleys and multiply the winch's pulling power.

I would not say that a winch is an absolute must have for everyone. It has just worked well for me and I prefer to have one especially when I am working by myself.

ItBmine

That "cute" little winch will pull more than you think if you know how to use them in conjunction with snatch blocks.

I use mine to skid logs, pull cars out of ditches, move sheds, sea cans and small buildings.

TechJunkie

That "cute" little winch will pull more than you think if you know how to use them in conjunction with snatch blocks.

I use mine to skid logs, pull cars out of ditches, move sheds, sea cans and small buildings.
I will second skidding logs, I left that one off my list. I haven't pulled cars out of a ditch or pulled sheds or buildings with a winch but you are right, rigged right a winch can be very effective. My dad worked commercial construction along side by Grandpa. He did a lot of rigging and we grew up learning from him. Even though he is 80 he gets a spark in his eye when we ask him to help us rig something.