Oil and Hydraulic Question for an Newbie Please

KingBubba

I wondered if I could bundle a mixed bag of questions here. I have never owned a tractor of diesel engine before and am trying to learn as I go. Anyway here goes.

First, my first oil change is coming up and I have filters standing by. In my area, Central Florida, I have easy access to Chevron Delo diesel motor oil but am uncertain what grade to use. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The weather here is warm but does freeze a handful of times a year.

Second, the local tractor repairman, was talking to me about the issues in Florida with humidity, condensation and warm tractors cooling off. He suggested that it would be wise, at a regular interval to crack the transmission drain plug, just a hair, to let any accumulated water to drain out without draining the hydraulic fluid out. I know this sounds easy, but I suspect that it is more of a PITA than one would suspect. It dawned on me that, if I were to install a high quality stainless petcock valve, this inspection and draining would be easy, simple and I would be more likely to do it regularly. Does this idea sound feasible to anyone who reads this? Does anyone out there know what thread type the drain plug has. Is it metric or NPT. I think this idea would make this maintenance job a breeze.

Third, I know the hydraulic filter is there to capture particles in the fluid but does the case surrounding the filter also act as a repository to collect water?

The repair man was also adamant that you should, on a very regular basis, crack the plugs at the base of the 4 wheel drive axles and drain about a pint of gear oil and then replace the lost oil with fresh. The reasoning behind this was that there is a great deal of metal shaving that accumulate in the front axle and that by draining them regularly you don't have a constant supply of abrasive metal floating around in your gear oil. This make a lot of sense to me but my valve idea won't work here because of the open exposure of the drain plug area to contact with the ground, brush, etc.

Any comments are welcome here in my first thread. Thanks to all for the knowledge I have already gained as a lurker here.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
have easy access to Chevron Delo diesel motor oil but am uncertain what grade to use.

stainless petcock valve ...Does anyone out there know what thread type the drain plug has.

Just from reading about various tractors, I get the impression that 15W40 weight is near universal nowadays. And Delo is top quality.

I think the reason you never see a petcock is because it would be too easy to tear off going over brush.

Thread size? First we need a clue about what kind of tractor you own! :D If you put something in your profile you are sure to improve the quality of replies. Better yet is a simple sig line (permanent text that follows each message, look in User CP for for it) that lets the reader know what model you are talking about. Or post in a brand-specific forum.

There's nothing wrong with asking new-owner questions and we would like to respond, but I, at least, don't know the answers to these questions.

Welcome! :tiphat:

KingBubba

Thanks for the response California. I have created a profile. My Mahindra 2516 gear is due for its 1st oil change and knowing 15w 40 is the common grade helps me. Thanks.

I have yet to crawl under the trans to look for the plug, but my plan was to do so the day I do the oil change. If the location is not in an area that brush could get to, I'll post it here for later discussion. I think my idea has merit but I want to take no chances for only the sake of convenience. I just know what it is like here in the Summer with the sweat pooling up in your eye sockets when you are up under machines. It is way too much no fun. Just greasing the mower deck is enough to drive a man to the AC and a cold drink for an hour or two.

Thank to all who visit here.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
You might repeat the question in the Mahindra Forum on here.

I know there are some Mahindra owners on board, and they likely have the specific answers you need.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
As a first time tractor owner and having a new tractor, I would avoid adding the petcock valve for now. I have to wonder if what the tractor repairman was telling you was applicable to new tractors? A whole lot of engineering goes into these machines and I would simply follow the manufacturers recommendations rather than modifying for easier maintenance (maintenance that might not even be recommended by the manufacturer).

Being new to the tractor I would note those words of wisdom but not act on them at this juncture, at least not without first checking with the service department where they service your make of tractor. If those guys thought it was a good idea, then I'd be more apt to act on the suggestions.

Welcome to Net Tractor Talk. And congrats on your new tractor!!!! :thumb: :D

Erik

welcome to the forum!
PBinWa has a 2516, so he should be able to answer your questions w/out any problem.
at the 50 hour maintenance you drain the front axel and after that I'd be surprised if the tractor generates very many shavings, unless you abuse the MFWD. If you're really worried about it, get one of those hevy duty little rare earth magnets and stick it to the axel housing near the bottom drain plug - that'll keep any shavings from floating around. (trick I learned from an auto mechanic for my oil pan)

KingBubba

Thanks to all for the responses. Thanks Erik for the magnet tip, a great idea. I found that the nearest Tractor Supply has Delo in stock, but my inclination is to avoid their house brand hydraulic fluids and gear oils. My first trip to TS did not impress me as I felt most stuff was imported crap and the hydraulic oil may be the same. Does anyone know the source of their house brand fluids?

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
My first trip to TS did not impress me as I felt most stuff was imported crap and the hydraulic oil may be the same. Does anyone know the source of their house brand fluids?
Another Mahindra owner asked that question recently.

I did a little research, and posted what I found.

In summary Warren Distributing makes (blends) TSC's Traveller brand lubricants. The tractor fluid at AutoZone also says Warren Distributing, and probably a lot of other places.

I was in TSC last month and bought 5 gallons of their pre-2007 spec 15W40 diesel oil - for $25 total - on closeout. I don't think my 1981 and 1984 tractors expect any better. I do run the best oil filters I can find, however. NAPA Gold preferably.

KingBubba

Thanks for the info about Warren. I know nothing of them and I plan to only use premium products inside my machine. I would, however, like to find a source for oil filters like the Napa Gold mentioned. Does anyone know a way to cross reference the Mahindra filter products? I ordered the oil filters online and, after shipping, they ended up being about $20 each. It was still cheaper than driving the 140 mile round trip to the nearest dealer. Any filter suggestions would be appreciated too. Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.