oil indicator light

rayash

bad times. oil indicator light on and the garage can't find the problem. They checked all electronic stuff and replaced oil sensor switch and checked mother board. Claim the problem is internal with engine and engine needs to be taken apart and machined. Any ideas to avoid this?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I think I'd go to another shop for a 2nd opinion. Are you dealing with a NH Dealer? If so I'd hope there is another one not to far away. If not a NH dealer would be your best bet.

Changing oil and filter seems like a good idea if you haven't already.

Are there any symptoms besides the oil light being on? Good Luck.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Is this an oil pressure light or low oil light?

Not sure about this particular light on your particular tractor but have you inspected all the wires? If a mouse or some other varmint has chewed through the wire from the sensor to the bulb creating an "open", it may cause an issue. If possible, for testing, I'd run a wire between the 2 (kind of like a mini jumper cable) to see if anything changes.

There's a lot of quasi-generic videos on how to test on youtube. I didn't watch it but here's the first one that popped up

Reactions: Doc

Oldpath

Anyway to change oil light to an oil gauge? If motor runs find than the motor is find, I wouldn't go major til the motor says so......

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Anyway to change oil light to an oil gauge? If motor runs find than the motor is find, I wouldn't go major til the motor says so......
Generally the first thing I do in this situation is replace the sender with a mechanical gauge to be sure there is pressure. Usually an NPT fitting will work but if the Kubota sensor is metric threaded, I've had some luck with removing the sensor, gutting the internals and threading the inside to the smallest NPT that will work. You can then use a mechanical gauge adapter.

Some places like McMaster Carr carry some metric taper hardware as another option, if necessary.