old man oil change

ovrszd

Yep, those have been around for years.

The JD grader I run has a bank of small flat face hydraulic couplers that are plumbed into each of the oil sumps. An equipped service truck can change all fluids without removing a drain plug. :)

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the link Aurthuritis. That would be real handy to have around. I need to put that on the wish list. :tiphat: collie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yea. no more laying on my back with hot oil running off of my elbow. Harbor freight sells one too but it isn't much cheaper than this one.

We use these units at work. I would suggest every 3rd or 4th change you perform the oil change in the traditional way. These units tend not to pickup the last inch or so on the bottom of the oil sump.. That's where the nasty particulates tend to lay in suspense.

That is unless the engine was designed to use extraction devises. The car/truck manufactures that now use this method as SOP, have designed in a suction tube that terminates at the lowest point of the sump. Thus a complete extraction is performed.

I know, more useless info��

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice.

I got the manual version of this years ago for changing oil on the boat. Course it works for changing oil in anything, but you do have to pump it up.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--manual-oil-extractor-6-5l--11047123?cm_mmc=PS-_-MSN-_-Shopping%20PLAs-_-11047123?creative=11484886465&device=c&matchtype={MatchType}

Attachments

• OilChangePump.jpg
    OilChangePump.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 292

OrangeBuggy

Nice.

I got the manual version of this years ago for changing oil on the boat. Course it works for changing oil in anything, but you do have to pump it up.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--manual-oil-extractor-6-5l--11047123?cm_mmc=PS-_-MSN-_-Shopping%20PLAs-_-11047123?creative=11484886465&device=c&matchtype={MatchType}

Shoot, I have one of these. Got it 15-20 years ago, still in the box it came in.....lol

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
a quick update. I have been using this now on the RTV and just about anything else. as far as the RTV go i have to say it is great just raise the bed and remove the dipstick, and i measured the oil extracted vs the drain plug method and i think the extractor gets more oil out. great on power steering units on truck and tractor too.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Another gadget I didn't know I need!

That would sure be handy for changing oil in the B&S on a lawnmower, rototiller, shredder etc.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
We use these units at work. I would suggest every 3rd or 4th change you perform the oil change in the traditional way. These units tend not to pickup the last inch or so on the bottom of the oil sump.. That's where the nasty particulates tend to lay in suspense.

That is unless the engine was designed to use extraction devises. The car/truck manufactures that now use this method as SOP, have designed in a suction tube that terminates at the lowest point of the sump. Thus a complete extraction is performed.

I know, more useless info��

I have discovered that the oil drain plug on both of my RTV is on the side of the pan and above the radius so there is always aprox 1/2 inch of oil left in the pan when i use the plug on level ground. when i use the extractor with the tube squared off i get more oil out than if i use the plug.. when i refill it uses the exact amount called for and the oil is right on the dipstick. after i start it the oil is nice and clean.

628pm

Site Supporter
Well after reading this thread I now have something else I want for my garage. Have to wait a little while, just ordered a waterproof jensen radio for my kubota f2690 mower, will move the radio to the x900 when mowing season is over.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dennis,
It wants my email address before it will show what is in your link.
If you are running windows please go to that web page then open the 'snipping tool'. It will help you snapshot that web page .....or just save the image as a pic and post it here ...if it is worth that for us to see it. Thx

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I have one of these that I got from DR several years ago. Just another variation on a theme. This approach really does seem to get all the oil out, faster and with less mess.

It is especially useful on differentials, sucking all the sludge out of the bottom. Something the drain plug can't do.

628pm

Site Supporter
Okay guys if you were going to buy one today, would it be the one from Aurthuritis or D&D farms. I'm leaning toward the one Aurthuritis showed first, it seems like it would be a good quality piece of equipment that will last. It is around $100.00 more though. I have 3 kubotas so I would get use out of either one. Crawling on the ground isn't much fun anymore (if it ever was).

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Okay guys if you were going to buy one today, would it be the one from Aurthuritis or D&D farms. I'm leaning toward the one Aurthuritis showed first, it seems like it would be a good quality piece of equipment that will last. It is around $100.00 more though. I have 3 kubotas so I would get use out of either one. Crawling on the ground isn't much fun anymore (if it ever was).

I asked myself the same question. i also had the one DD linked in my shopping cart before i purchased. i finally went with the John Dow because it wasn't much more than Harbor Freight one and it had the capacity to make changes in my larger equipment,trucks,tractors etc. plus i like the way it empties itself without having to lift the unit. once you pull a vacuum on it you don't really need to do it again until it is almost full but it probably speeds things up a bit if you renew the vac before every change. it also comes with all of the probes and adapters to do everything i need. it is especially great for the auto tranny on my truck. shop around some though as they all really do the same thing, some just have different features. best thing is it takes about 10 minutes to change oil in a RTV1100 and no skid plate to fool with.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've seen a few home made oil extractor systems. Here are a couple links to those type of oil removal systems.
First one is from Northern Tool: you have to supply your own 5 gallon bucket but it's just 19 bucks
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200596412_200596412

2nd one is the entire system and it costs a lot more. 142 dollars.
http://www.imarineusa.com/jabscodiyoilchangesystemwpumpand35gallonbucket.aspx

Both of those above hook onto your battery for power.

I still have the hand pump extractor. All I have to do is pump a few times and then it creates a siphon and it removes the oil automatically after that. Easy peezy.