Planning stages for new garage. Steel vs pole barn vs traditional build

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm considering adding a 3 stall garage next fall or depending on cost might be spring of 2023.

I looked at one a friend just built, 40x50 steel, fully insulated. He bought it in 2020 but just finished it up. Cost back then was 20k for materials. 13k for the concrete. Very nice building.

Not sure steel can work for what I want. I don't have room for 40' deep for all 3 stalls. I'm looking at 40' deep for one stall and the other 2 stalls would be 30' deep. A telephone poll, underground electric and underground gas line preclude me from going 40' deep for all stalls.

Thoughts / ideas welcome.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Just make sure that there's room enough for cars/trucks to get past the posts. My bil built a 4 car one with fluted columns as roof supports and steel I beams around the perimeter . It's ok for 2 cars but, try to park 2 trucks side by side with those wide posts..... and it's a little too tight. He actually lost a mirror ( $200 ) backing out one time. He also built a safe room out of steel plating in one end . It's supposed to safely survive a F5 . We covered it with Hardy board so it looks like a wood structure. Years ago, when my nieces' young teenager friends came to visit they were worried because they saw the 3 deadbolt locks on those doors, and though we were in a crime area. ha ha humm .. Well not yet anyway.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good point Collie. That is a huge advantage to the steel building. No posts. But I thought they had to be rectangle. Not sure they can accomodate the shape I'm wanting. Will find out soon. I plan to contact the one that built the one I looked at today. Soutwest Steel is there name I think.