Ramsey winch synthetic rope

<P style="__styleDocument: [object]">I just picked this tidbit up on Tractorbynet.com under atv's...It was written by JCMSEVEN.....I wonder how much truth there is to this or is it just a one time incident...........What do you think TWO GUNS & BCZOOM......</P>
<P style="__styleDocument: [object]">I would encourage anyone using a winch-operated <SPAN class=highlight><FONT color=#ff0000>plow</FONT></SPAN> for his/her UTV DO NOT go with the synthetic rope winch. These winch ropes have great dynamic, but not great static, strength. I broke mine after four hours of use. Ramsey has been good to deal with, they are replacing mine with a steel line for no charge. I have been impressed by the company and they were as surprised as I about the failure. I wanted others to avoid this potential pitfall.
</P>
<P style="__styleDocument: [object]">Rusty Anvil,,</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Sorry, can't help on you on that situation. First, don't really snow in the south. Second, don't own snow plow. Third, don't own syn rope on winch. But bczoom does own some rope, he just installed his the other day !!!!

ez chair

If syn rope is 3/16 or larger the rope should be no problem.3/16 rope = 3000lbs, plow weight is most likely under 200 lbs. Most likely the fairlead being used is incorrect. Fairlead for cable will fray syn rope very quickly. Special fairlead for snowplow use with syn rope. Bottom roller is significantly larger. Ramsey should know this though.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I agree with EZ Chair on both the rope size and proper fairlead. A roller fairlead is not the proper setup for the syn rope. A Hawse fairlead should be used.

I have never heard of static vs dynamic loads on the rope.

BTW - For winching, you also want to have a mechanical brake in the winch. Without it, the load (e.g. winch) will slowly lower as the winch spool slowly lets loose.

Brian Bolger

Site Supporter
I used a sync rope on my TRX450 with Warn 3.0 winch, Moose plow and roller fairlead (fat roller on the bottom) for 2 years with not an ounce of problems. Got the rope from a sailling company and the rope was rated for 6,000 lbs, better than the cable it replaced. Made my own splice in the end after reading on-line how to do it and it sure was nice to handle as well as operate the plow.</p>

Don't understand this Hawse fairlead requirement you have been talking about. Please explain.</p>

I always understood that the roller fairlead was always the way to go.</p>

Brian</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i to never really understood why you are supose to use a hause fairlead for wire rope . to me the rubbing fritcion would be worst than on a regular roller fairlead.???</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The reason for the Hawse is due to the corners of the rollers. When you pull, if it's at an angle where the 2 rollers meet (e.g. one on the side and the roller on the top), the rope can get into that corner and end up getting frayed.</p>

Cable is more rigid so it doesn't normally have that issue.</p>

A good Hawse is pretty smooth so it shouldn't have burrs that may fray the rope.</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i sent my gorilla winch in for them to check it out and put the fanal touches on it and i asked them to give me a price on some new cable . i priced the cable down here and it was way over 60.00 for some new one so i was waitin for a high dollar figure to come out the email when i got it . but get this the nice lady "chasity"over there at gorilla told me she would give me a deal of 25.00 for the synstetic or 15.00 for regular cable.WOW!!! well me being the old fashon guy i went with the cable but hey thats some good deals. and no guys i ain't no gorilla sales preson i just like to try to turn people on to a good company when i come across one. they took my winch back and fixed it with no questions asked what so ever . now i did have to pay shipping but thats no biggie.but one day i plan on giving that synthetic stuff a try it's just both my utv's are set up with fairleads and i would have to go out and get a hause.i'm very hard on my equipment but after a days work i clean it up and grease it up so it dos last me a long timei still have my original cable on my warn 2500a and it's almost 5 years old it's probably snap on me in the woods when i need it though.</p>