Red Hawk Down

Bindian

The pair of Red Shouldered Hawks, that hang around my property had a baby two summers ago. The 3 of them were flying together last summer, teaching junior how to hunt. This spring, the parents left so the youngin' could find a mate. Today, I caught him (her?), as (s)he has an injured wing, with a towel. I hope to take him (her) down to Bellville tomorrow to a raptor rehabiliator. Has anyone here nursed a hawk back into the air? I feel sad as these creatures are wonderful medicine to see in flight every day or so on my place.
hugs, Brandi

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No, I've never nursed one back to the air. Sure would like to see pics of the one you have if possible.
Good luck getting him fixed up good as new.

urednecku

Bindian, be careful....capturing one can be illegal in some areas ---I'd call the rehabiliator or Fish & Game commission, (or what ever they are called there,) & ask their advice. BEFORE I told them I had it captured!!

I will agree, they are magnificent to watch.

Bindian

Doc and Urednecku,
I just got back from leaving "my" hawk with a raptor rehabilitator. She said the hawk has a weak wing and will get it x-rayed tomorrow. She said he has a good chance to return to flight..................from my place.
I had called a lot of vets, who referred me to some experts that told me to catch it before calling anyone else. So I did. I am drained and sleepy. I worried all night about the hawk and around day light, when I fell asleep, Booger starting howling!
Oh yeah Doc,............here's some photos
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 7-11-09 Red Shouldered Hawk in wheelbarrow.jpg
    7-11-09 Red Shouldered Hawk in wheelbarrow.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 205
  • 7-12-09 Red Shouldered Hawk in milk crate with flash.jpg
    7-12-09 Red Shouldered Hawk in milk crate with flash.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 199
  • 7-12-09 Red Shouldered Hawk on Evelyn's arm.jpg
    7-12-09 Red Shouldered Hawk on Evelyn's arm.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 7-12-09 Red Shouldered Hawk closeup on Evelyn's arm.jpg
    7-12-09 Red Shouldered Hawk closeup on Evelyn's arm.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 201

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Brandi,
You did good by finding someone who can rehabilitate it and better yet to return it to the wild if possible.
We are lucky to have a great wildlife center here in our town that will see to it that any wild animal that can be rehabilitated is and returned back to nature. Dr. Burton used to be our Vet.
Here's his website

joe lasky

The world is a much better place to have such a kind hearted person as yourself.

No matter what happens to the animal, you tried, and that's what matters:respect:

I was out with a buddy this past weekend shooting. A couple of hawks flew overhead (they've got a nest somewhere, becuase since I've been here they always fly around the pasture) and there's something that makes you feel alive when you hear a hawk's "screech" and hear it's echo in the distance.

We are lucky to have a great wildlife center here in our town that will see to it that any wild animal that can be rehabilitated is and returned back to nature.

You ARE lucky.

Have to laugh to some extent though. When I read the title of the thread, my first thought was a communist chopper went down:D

shvl73

Great to see up close! Good of you to help.
We had a hawk hanging around picking off the little birds near my feeder. I thought I was running some sort of bird buffet. One morning I saw it chase a mourning dove, unsuccessfully I think, as they went out of sight. That dove was zigging and zagging for all it was worth!

PBinWA

We've got a Red-Tail Hawk that has been hanging around lately. He sure takes a lot of crap from the crows.

I hope he eats the crows. ;)

Bindian

Great to see up close! Good of you to help.
We had a hawk hanging around picking off the little birds near my feeder. I thought I was running some sort of bird buffet. One morning I saw it chase a mourning dove, unsuccessfully I think, as they went out of sight. That dove was zigging and zagging for all it was worth!
Torin,
Thanks. I haven't seen crows badger a hawk. But I have seen them badger an owl. Smaller birds can escape hawks zigg zagging in the tree tops.
hugs, Brandi