Repair idea for split in seat vinyl

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I bought my RTV used. The drivers side of the seat had a tear right on the rear corner. I put duct tape on it. Helped a little but soon pulled off. Over time that tear has grown. It's probably 4 inches long now and the split keeps getting a little wider.
Anyone else have this problem with your RTV seat? Hoping one of you found a good fix for this, cause it only gets worse if left alone.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hasn't yet happened to my RTV but I've used those vinyl patch kits on my ATV seats that tore and they've worked well. The finish isn't as clean as they make it look on the package or in the commercials but the tear never came back.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Haven't had to buy a kit in awhile but as I recall, auto parts stores or the automotive section of WalMart. Amazon sells them as well.

If your tear has widened where you can't get the pieces of the tear to come back together, you may want the kit that has the patches. IIRC, you put a patch under the seat, glue it into place so it holds everything in place then cover the exposed gap with a colored filler paste.

Mark.Sibole

I went the vinal patch route and it really didnt last long.Duct tape isnt worth a damn.What has lasted the longest for me and does come in a lot of colors now including clear is gorilla tape.Its great stuff and had worked on my drivers side seat for over a year now with no slippage and still looks like i put it on yeaterday.Just a suggestion.
Go Gorrilla !

Mark.Sibole

Depending on the size of the tear you can place a piece sticky side up under the vinal then place the other piece sticky side down on top of the seat.I recovered the back rest a few years back and that was easy but the seat has a lot of odd rolls and angles.If you have a heat gun you can buy new vinal for about 20 bucks and recover it.But you will need a good heat gun to really warm up the vinal to stretch it to the right positions and staple it on.I may do that next spring.But for now the gorilla tape has worked well for over a year so im in no hurry.I still need to rebuild the hydro rams on my tractor front bucket so it wont sag and am desperatly looking for tire chains for it but i cant afford and wont pay 500 bucks for a damn get of tire chains for a 16.9 tractor tire.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'll throw something out as it's sort of related.

When I was doing a lot of firewood this year, it required a bunch of trips up-and-down a steep hill almost 1/2 mile long. Well, the dog would follow on foot. After a couple trips, she would get exhausted and would ride with me. No problem on the way up but on the way down, she would constantly slide off the seat so I'd have to hold or strap her into place. All passengers have to wear seatbelts coming down the hill or you'll slide off as well.

Then I had an idea. I had some non-slip toolbox liners laying around. I put them on the seats and tucked them under. Dang things worked perfect. The dog could stand, sit or lay down without sliding. My butt didn't slide either.

This is similar to what I'm using (although this is a 24' roll and my pieces were probably 2'x1').
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Duck-281876-Non-Adhesive-20-Inch-24-Feet/dp/B00C2LMKTO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1418830896&sr=8-9&keywords=tool+box+drawer+liner[/ame]

I'm thinking about getting one of these larger pieces and covering the seat. Not only for grip but to protect against many of those things that could tear the OEM vinyl. I wouldn't adhere it much, maybe a few staples on the loose ends (e.g. corners) so it could be removed easily for cleaning if/as needed.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
i just had mine recovered. cost $75.00
26 bucks for a kit with matierail from amazon or $75 to have it covered. Man, $75 would win every time. Hope I can find a local place that will cover it for that reasonable. Thanks. :tiphat:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'll throw something out as it's sort of related.

When I was doing a lot of firewood this year, it required a bunch of trips up-and-down a steep hill almost 1/2 mile long. Well, the dog would follow on foot. After a couple trips, she would get exhausted and would ride with me. No problem on the way up but on the way down, she would constantly slide off the seat so I'd have to hold or strap her into place. All passengers have to wear seatbelts coming down the hill or you'll slide off as well.

Then I had an idea. I had some non-slip toolbox liners laying around. I put them on the seats and tucked them under. Dang things worked perfect. The dog could stand, sit or lay down without sliding. My butt didn't slide either.

This is similar to what I'm using (although this is a 24' roll and my pieces were probably 2'x1').
http://www.amazon.com/Duck-281876-N...8830896&sr=8-9&keywords=tool+box+drawer+liner

I'm thinking about getting one of these larger pieces and covering the seat. Not only for grip but to protect against many of those things that could tear the OEM vinyl. I wouldn't adhere it much, maybe a few staples on the loose ends (e.g. corners) so it could be removed easily for cleaning if/as needed.
Sounds interesting. But, when one gets in and slides into position or scooting across the seat for others to get in wouldn't that stretch or move the non slide surface?
I've had to much sliding at times also, and wondered about a non skid surface but didn't think it would last as you have to have some slide / scoot ability.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's anti-skid on both sides so there is no sliding or scooting. Wherever you place your butt, it stays unless you lift off.

What are you looking at in the repair kits? When I looked at Amazon, most were $10 or less.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I can't squeeze the tear together. I'll need a fair size piece of vinyl to patch in the area. the cheapest kit I saw with vinyl patches was 26 ...but it was a quick look.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Doc,
If no one is local to you, bring it with you next time you visit one of the kids (grandkids). Drop it off and have one of them bring it back to you next time they visit you. I'm sure there are plenty of upholstery shops in Columbus.

Suggestion - try a boat shop. They are most likely looking for work this time of year. Any shop worth it's weight knows how to recover a seat as simple as the RTV's. Heck, you could probably get piping added at the same time just to make it fancy. Boat shops are a great source for replacement vinyl/plastic windows for the soft top as well. These guys sew new panels all the time. Just saying..............And Happy Holidays to all.......

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Seat Cover Upholstery

Took me forever to find it; but this thread has several outfits one can use to order material to re-cover your seats.

I did this a couple of years ago and finally got around to doing the repair last spring. There was no problem. Just took out the bottom seat, turned it over, stretched the fabric over the old stuff, stapled it on and wah freaking lah..........Done...........

God bless...........Dennis

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13613&highlight=seat+cover