RIVER RUNS THROUGHT IT

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
RIVER RUNS THROUGHT IT

<P mce_keep="true"> The Mississippi River is expected to rise above flood stage Monday. Our flood stage here is 48 feet. It's expected to hit 46 feet today. Sunday or Monday, the U.S. Corps of Engineers plans to go intothestart Phase 1 of the flood fight. That meansthey to patrol up and down the levees and provide assistance to the levee boards.The Concordia Parish Office of Emergency Preparedness will also begin levee patrols when the river reaches its flood stage.By theU.S. Corps of Engineers, if all goes as predicted, the river will continue to rise in increments of less than a foot a day until it reaches its crest height during the morning of April 6, which will be 54 feet. At 53.5 feet, the river will be at its highest since 1997. </P>
<P mce_keep="true"> Was going to swap out my tires on the RTV, but think I'd better hold off for a little while. This situation might get hairy down here. Going today and do some looking down the levee with the RTV, bringing a camera and get some shots. Post 'em later on, what it's lookin' like...... When the river gets like this, in some places, the levees start giving way, erosion sets in, and then you have " river boils " , that's water that will blow under the levees and boil threw the ground and start blowing water under the levees .The Mississippi river is close to a mile wide right here, and with all that water coming down, and the curves and twist of the river path, that is some force coming down, hitting the levees !!!</P>
<P mce_keep="true"><FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=4> ~~~~~ Two Guns ~~~~~~</FONT></P>
<P mce_keep="true"></P>

Re: RIVER RUNS THROUGHT IT

<P mce_keep="true">Jamie,</P>
<P mce_keep="true">Well I feel for the folks close the Mississippi River. I have friends(neighbors) that just got back from Biloxi and New Orleans visiting their relatives that are trying to get things back together from Katrina. His sister lost her home and is just getting out of a FEMA trailer back into a house. </P>
<P mce_keep="true">A flood is the last thing those folks should have to contend with now. However, as you know it is coming. Our crest is not supposed to get here until the 25th. The crest has been lowered to 54 ft. instead of 55 ft.Many towns and areas are sandbagging and many homes have water in them. We are high enough to be above it all, but muddy water in a home is a mess no matter how little gets in. </P>
<P mce_keep="true">Lets just hope this is the flood for the year, however it is still early and the spring water usually comes in the May-June time frame. Hope it does not get too bad but the 54 ft. crest you mentioned seems pretty high. I know this is the most water we have had in quite a while. Also, the Ohio and Mississippi are both above flood stage. </P>
<P mce_keep="true">Hope it doesn't get too bad. </P>

<P mce_keep="true">Two Guns,</P>
<P mce_keep="true">I hope you don't have any problems......................Keep us informed......</P>
<P mce_keep="true">Rusty Anvil,,,,,,</P>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter

<P mce_keep="true">well if them people in that comercial was telling the trueth about useing that snow or whatever to brew that coorslight /coors beer then why don't they just brew some more and drop the level of water comin down here. but then again the more water in the spillway means more crawfish AYYEEEE!!! eatum up cowboy.</P>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter

<P mce_keep="true">two guns is so close he gets his rtv and a few buckets and goes down to the levee and gets drinkinwater .</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Re: RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT

<P mce_keep="true"> 1/2 mile or less >>>>></P>
<P mce_keep="true"> So close, if the washing machine ever goes, I can send the house keeperto the river to wash clothes >>> He * He * He !!!! [;)]</P>
<P mce_keep="true"><FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=4> ~~~~~ Two Guns ~~~~~~</FONT></P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter

<P mce_keep="true">This is the water creeping up, this morning, it was no water in that area at all, come morning, it will be touching the levee !!!</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter

<P mce_keep="true">This is a zoom shot, a sawmill on the Mississippi side, you can see the river has done got to the log pile ~~~</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter

<P mce_keep="true">The picture below this, I rode the RTV ( on dry ground ), beyond the tree line that you see, just the other day. Don't have any idea how deep the water is at that point now. On the other side of the trees, down the hill, is the " normal " area that the river back stays, give or take a few feet ~~~~</P>
<P mce_keep="true"> </P>
<DIV><FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=4> ~~~~~ Two Guns ~~~~~~</FONT></DIV>

<P mce_keep="true">Thanks for the pictures Two Guns. I got my RTV out today and took my neighbors for a ride. It was about 52 deegrees here (heat wave) and I have almost five hours on theRTV now. Keep the powder dry!!!</P>

Deerlope

<P mce_keep="true"> For all you that live along and near the river please be careful and on the lookout for the slightest teltale sign of danger. Sometimes I have to wonder if the corps knows what it doing.</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter

<P mce_keep="true">I thought I seen some folks smiling from way down here !!!! Bet they had a great time .... Got about 72-75 degrees here. We done a fair bit of riding today down the levees.Mrs.Two Guns, took the Honda Rubicon, I took the RTV, ( had the Sirus radio blairing,rifle up top in the rack) , and my best buddy and his wife, took their two four-wheelers. Trying to keep a close eye on the river..... doing the " eyeballing " thing >>>>>> He's a Louisiana State Trooper, and he said he's going down river, roughly 30 - 35 miles south, a looking come Monday, and see how things are lookin' down there. </P>
<P mce_keep="true"> </P>
<DIV><FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=4> ~~~~~ Two Guns ~~~~~~</FONT></DIV>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter

<P mce_keep="true">Thanks deerlope for the concern !!!!! We Really Appreciate It !!!!! </P>
<P mce_keep="true">That's why we keep a close " look-out " on the situation down here.Many folks down here pretty well feel the same way you do about the corps !!!!</P>
<P mce_keep="true"> </P>
<P mce_keep="true"> </P>

doggman

<P mce_keep="true">Two Guns, Do you know what mile marker you're at on the Mississippi?It looksyou must be around Mile 400. Ikind of remember that sawmill and those high lines. But it's been over 25 years since I was towboatin' or on the high seas so I could be thinking of another place. Still keep my captain's license renewed every 5 years just in case I get sand in my shoes...</P>
<P mce_keep="true">The high water'sreceding here but it was touch and go all weekend. I-44 had 10,000 feet of sandbags right up on the shoulder to keep it open. </P>
<P mce_keep="true">Nick-America is right in the crosshairs now since he's at the convergence of the Ohio and the Mississippi. </P>
<P mce_keep="true">I hope you guys do all right downstream. It's no fundealing witha flood. </P>

<P mce_keep="true">Our crest is Tuesday, but there are still folks sandbagging. There is a small river named Cache River which runs from near the Ohio River about 30 miles north of us, south to the Mississippi River, south of us. This drains the interior of the farthest southern part of Illinois, and it is now the problem as well as the two main rivers. Most of our flooding is coming from the Cache River not getting rid of the watersto the rivers. It is part of Cypress Creek National Wildlife Refuge and the drainage isn't very good. It is the farthest north tupelo and cypress swamp and that is the reason for it becoming a refuge, along with some endangered wildlife in it.</P>
<P mce_keep="true">See Two Gunns, I live near a swamp in Illinois-no hogs oralligators though. The mosquitoes have carried all that stuff off.</P>
<P mce_keep="true"></P>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter

<P mce_keep="true">now bear with me guys to me it would seem we could run a 24" or even 36" pipeline to nevadaand channel some of that water off heck even put some spickets in states that have droughts so they can open a valve. to me we are waistin a huge water source here. if we can run a gas pipe line from the gulf to way up north and run apipe line as long and big as the alaskan pipe line we sure in the hell can run one for water lets recyle this fresh water instead of running it into the gulf. we can make miricale happen just to put a rig on a location and then pum the oil out but we let this water just flow right buy us and say hey the worlds fresh water supply is getting smaller. what about floriday and them lakes run a smaller pipeline to them .</P>