RTV 500 Rear Lift?

DIXIEDOG

I was glancing over my RTV 500's rear suspension yesterday and I started wondering about lifting the rear of the buggy. Is there any reason not to just put a longer strut assembly in it? From what I could see it looked like it was just a trailing type suspension, it's allowed to droop until it hits a bump stop or suspension resistance.

I was thinking that not only could a user gain a bit of height but if you were to go slightly longer assembly with a touch lighter spring you could also gain travel and a much better ride.:brows:

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I was glancing over my RTV 500's rear suspension yesterday and I started wondering about lifting the rear of the buggy. Is there any reason not to just put a longer strut assembly in it? From what I could see it looked like it was just a trailing type suspension, it's allowed to droop until it hits a bump stop or suspension resistance.

I was thinking that not only could a user gain a bit of height but if you were to go slightly longer assembly with a touch lighter spring you could also gain travel and a much better ride.:brows:

What is the reason for this ? Just curious >>>>

I really don't think your ride is going to get any better.
Everytime I have lifted anything, the ride changes for the worst. Now that was
just me, might work for somebody else ....

............ two guns

DIXIEDOG

I'm thinking about lifting the front and would like to keep the factory stance.....just higher. I'd like to put larger tires on to prevent a bit of the contact I'm getting now. In stock form they are great for work but not for trails, I see this unit as being capable of both very well if a few mods could be made. A lift and tires could likely save quite a bit of winching up and over stuff.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I'm thinking about lifting the front QUOTE]

Some folks have use the "lift kits", and had to remove the for reason
it was changing the "tuning" of the front end. It made the front
wheels " pigeon toed", ( )

I had a set given to me to install. And found out what it was making it do to the front, gave them to somebody else >>>>

Attachments

• Bang Just Kidding.jpg
    Bang Just Kidding.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 109

DIXIEDOG

We all have different uses/needs for our toys....the way it's sitting now it isn't meeting them....I'd say the tuning is a one size fits most and mine doesn't fit so it's time to reevaluate or move on to another brand. It will be much cheaper if I can modify my current buggy to meet my needs than buying a different one so I'm planning to try that first.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't have a 500 but I'd say to give it a shot. Do they have a lift kit for the 500? On the 900, the lifting of the rear end was a very easy process.

Bucks_071

BCzoom,
No lift out for the 500 as of yet. I thought at first is was because it was newer and the aftermarket stuff would eventually come around. Now I am starting to think it is just built so it can't be lifted. I rode down to a friends house who has a speed shop and all he does is build race cars, work on quads, motorcycles, cars, trucks...(dude put a snowmobile engine in a golf cart and it runs 55MPH...) I was asking him and told him nothing was avail. and he said he could lift it then looked under the rear and said, "man I don't know how you would ever lift it in the rear." So if anybody finds something that works let me know.

DIXIEDOG

I think the key to lifting the rear is a longer strut assembly or an adapter to drop the upper eye mounting location for the strut.....it's a simple coil over suspension....I don't see why it couldn't be lifted moderately.

Bucks_071

Dixie
Whenever I look @ the rear end on the 500 it is a straight axel. From what I see whatever you do with the shocks / struts will raise the body but I don't see how you could raise the axel. ????

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Dixie
Whenever I look @ the rear end on the 500 it is a straight axel. From what I see whatever you do with the shocks / struts will raise the body but I don't see how you could raise the axel. ????

TALLER TIRES !!!!
That will get your axle higher ....
All else, Just makes it harder for you to install yourself !!!

Attachments

• Tires.jpg
    Tires.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 73

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i would just put a little bit bigger tire on it and scrap that lift kit. the most you could safely put if a 2" lift kit on it and that really won't give you much lift because you won't get the full 2" out of it.if you go higher you will need longer shafts if not you'll pull the shafts right out of the diferentials not to mention you'r cv boots will heat up and tear they are not made to rub and will give out really fast. something to think of is get a stiffer shock and install that that will keep the rtv up and not sag as much if there is any adjustment on your stock shocks turn them up a bit and see if that helps.