Rtv 900 wont respond to ignition switch

dennishowens

Believe my grandkids left ignition switch on. Charged the new battery and it test fine with load tester. Checked the key switch and alternator fuses and alternator fuse is blown. Will replace but dont know why that blew. What should I check before replacing?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had a similar issue. Folks here mentioned the Neutral switch (I think that's what it's called) ...To verify I moved the handle all over the place in neutral and found that far to the right the machine would fire. So first thing I'd do is play around and maybe you'll get lucky.

dennishowens

When the vehicle was new, it would only start in neutral or high. Lately, it would start in any gear. Still dont understand a 60 amp fuse blowing. Thanks for suggestion. Will try moving gear shift around.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Maybe somebody will find them and post them here before I can find them. There are a couple of threads that talk about this, basically the fix is to merely cross-wire the neutral safety switch. Easy to do; but the shims or whatever in the switch become worn and need replacing if you want it to work or to "hot" wire as mentioned above........God bless....Dennis

Just did a search for "NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH" AND THERE ARE A WHOLE BUNCH OF THREADS ABOUT THIS ISSUE.....Go to the magnifying glass above in the top right corner with search, and plug that in.........Neutral safety switch.......

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I hope those suggestions by Dennis and Doc solve your problem . The neutral safety switch wires could be shorted out - Mice will sure chew on those wires - for some reason wiring is very appealing to them so look for chewed wires all over the RTV. collie

Reactions: Doc

dennishowens

Well I managed to get the fuse on order at messicks. Will try local napa in morning to see if they have. Would you use aftermarket fuse? Believe I located the neutral switch. Cant believe all the dirt and trash accumulated around switch.
Will keep you posted. Thanks for help.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Its perfectly fine to take a high pressure hose, like a garden hose, and wash off the engine and transmission from time to time. Keep the spray from the alternator itself; but not gonna hurt anything. I dont know what fuse you are talking about that is blown but as far as I know there is no fuse associated with the neutral safety switch. Am sure there must be cause it's an electrical circuit of some type; but wish I knew more about the fuse from the alternator that is blown..

dennishowens

Its perfectly fine to take a high pressure hose, like a garden hose, and wash off the engine and transmission from time to time. Keep the spray from the alternator itself; but not gonna hurt anything. I dont know what fuse you are talking about that is blown but as far as I know there is no fuse associated with the neutral safety switch. Am sure there must be cause it's an electrical circuit of some type; but wish I knew more about the fuse from the alternator that is blown..
The blown fuse is the 60 amp slow blow alternator fuse. Dont know what caused that to happen. Have replacement on order.

dennishowens

Well, the RTV is running. Replaced the 60 amp alternator fuse and it started up. Dont know why it blew and that is concerning but if it happens again, will have to dig deeper. For now I'm happy. Thanks for all your suggestions. Now I can walk behind birddogs.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Special fuse only from Kubota or could you get it at the local auto parts store? 60 amp :wow:

dennishowens

I have one on order from messicks but went to advance auto and got a 60 amp fuse that fit. Cost $5.75. May not be slow blow but got me going. May replace next week when my messicks fuse arrives.

Reactions: Doc