RTV Daily uses, What did you do today with your RTV?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Starting yesterday, the RTV has been relieved of firewood processing duties for a week as it moved on to sandbag duty.
I had 1,000 new sandbags laying around so it's time to set them up for usage. I had 20-tons of sand delivered yesterday and started loading up the bags. By myself, I can do about 30 bags per hour, maybe more now that I have a routine established. I'll do some by myself but will hire a couple teenagers to do the bulk of the work. My old body doesn't want to do more than 100 per day.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Starting yesterday, the RTV has been relieved of firewood processing duties for a week as it moved on to sandbag duty.
I had 1,000 new sandbags laying around so it's time to set them up for usage. I had 20-tons of sand delivered yesterday and started loading up the bags. By myself, I can do about 30 bags per hour, maybe more now that I have a routine established. I'll do some by myself but will hire a couple teenagers to do the bulk of the work. My old body doesn't want to do more than 100 per day.
For flooding? I never knew you had any issues with that. Good luck. Sounds like a lot of work for sure. Perfect for young bodies to earn some spending cash.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
For flooding? I never knew you had any issues with that. Good luck. Sounds like a lot of work for sure. Perfect for young bodies to earn some spending cash.
Yes, for flooding. I have a creek behind the houses that runs 540' through the back yards. The 25 acres adjoining us immediately downstream was logged a couple years ago. All the logs they didn't want as well as the tops are laying in the low ground. When we get a lot of rain, those logs are acting as a dam and things back up pretty badly on our property. I've been ripping the logs out as much as possible but since it's muddy back there I can't get there very often.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Wow BCZoom . Filling those sacks reminds me of how we use to sack cotton seed for the cows. ( before we got a feed wagon and loader. It was just us and a real chore each winter day) . I finally got one of those plastic pots like large plants and trees come in and cut the bottom out -then split it down the side. (It was a big pot for our burlap bags (Like 50 lb size) . Any ways , the split gave it enough spring to hold the bags open while one person shoveled in the seed. Then it could be pulled out easily and used on the next sack.Maybe something like that would work for you in holding the bags open. It sure helped me when sacking 50 bags a day with a "snow" shovel .

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I bought a tool called a GoBagger (pictured below). I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS TOOL FOR FILLING BAGS.
I was timing myself yesterday. I can grab a bag, put it on the GoBagger, fill with 40-50 pounds of sand and load it on a trailer in under 30 seconds.
It then takes another 20 seconds or so to tie off the bag.
I can do 1 bag, start to finish, in under a minute.
Clock time takes a little longer as I take breaks and then the time to take the load about 500' then stack the sandbags.

iu

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
While I was at the dentist yesterday, my son took the initiative of filling bags. Unfortunately, he and I didn't go through the process beforehand.
He did fill about 80 bags but he wasn't careful about cinching the bag ties tight. I re-tied some but I think the others will just get zip-ties instead of the drawstrings included.
I also did a little math while working. The loading and unloading of 40 bags requires 5000 pounds of lifting.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good to hear you son took the initiative. :clap: Good luck getting the project done. At least we have good weather for that kind of work for the next few days.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Doc. Taking today off as I've been doing them for the past several days and yes, my back does need a break.
For the record, that stack is for storing the bags. It's not to protect that building from water.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Zoom, do you hire out? I have about 700lbs of pawpaw seeds to bag!
Sorry but I have to finish my sandbags first. I dumped the 20-ton of sand in the middle of one of the driveways. I need to get it out before it freezes.
Never bagged seeds but with the GoBagger I'm using, I can fill a bag with about 50 pounds of sand in under 30 seconds.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yea Woody....Filling . bags wasn't ever a joy; as we had the durn red clay to deal with to fill.....As Det. commander I would load up a crew of the guys, 5 or 6 shovels, 3 or 4 bundles of bags, a couple of cases of cokes or beer, and enough arms for a small war and head out to the dump. The dump would be a sure fire place to find fresh, turned over MOST IMPORTANT....LABOR.

In Viet Nam, if you had anything on the back of the truck you wanted to keep you better have a couple of weapons back there to protect it and keep it on board. Sure as the devil though you could find several boy sans to contract out to fill the bags for the cases of fluids.

There we were the American Warriors doing our duty to develop the self-protection for when the real SHTF..............lol...we might've even consumed some of those fluids for sure.
Thanks Woody for bringing back those "good" memories that the VA "groups" had pretty much gotten rid of cause the get GROUPED WITH THE BAD..............God bless these United States.......Dennis