RTV Stupid Human Trick

ovrszd

Time for an Oil change. Drove onto the shop hoist, up in the air, pull the plug, while it's draining change the filter and look everything over underneath, replace filter and plug, let the hoist down........

Now fill er up with engine oil...... Oooooppppssss,,,, forgot to raise the bed.....

Slightly alarmed at first, then laughed at myself for the next few minutes while I finished the project. Surely I'm not the only one that's done that. :)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sooo ...... how did you get the oil in? ...just in case others follow your lead. I have not done that but can imagine that something like that happening. In my garage it is not totally out of the realm of possibility.

ovrszd

Put the bed lift lever in float, lift bed by hand, while holding it in lifted position put lever back in neutral position. Felt really dumb. :)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well ...I feel really dumb. no manual came with my RTV and I had not needed to try float ...I suppose it will be easy to find, especially if like my FEL on the tractor.

ovrszd

Yep, just slam the lever forward and it goes into float. Lets the bed down much quicker if trying to dump part of a load. Would be very handy for pulling a hydraulic lifted attachment such as a disc.

Okay, I admit, took me more than a few seconds to figure out how I was going to get the bed up to add oil. No way you are getting to the engine without lifting the bed. :)

Tact

I always had a fear that I would do the same one day, but it ain't happened yet. Good to remember the FLOAT.

shinnery

But even with the "Float" that bed gets pretty heavy for some of us 75 y.o. youngsters. I put the safety on the hoist shaft.
Bryce

ovrszd

I was surprised how easily it could be lifted. Not claiming to be a physical stud. But I didn't have too much trouble lifting it. 65 and counting. :)