RTV x1100c drops to 7mph on some hills

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love the longevity of the diesel but ...I'd most likely pull the trigger on the sidekick due to the speed difference. My x1100 bogs down to 7mph on to many hills around here. it makes it up but dang, I feel like I have to pedal or get out and push.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I love the longevity of the diesel but ...I'd most likely pull the trigger on the sidekick due to the speed difference. My x1100 bogs down to 7mph on to many hills around here. it makes it up but dang, I feel like I have to pedal or get out and

Doc ifyour boggen down to 7 mph something is wrong in a bad way. what kind of hill you talking about here???

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc ifyour boggen down to 7 mph something is wrong in a bad way. what kind of hill you talking about here???
It's done it on more than one hill but all are semi steep 1/2 mile long hills (maybe 1/4 mile WAG here). I gradually lose speed to 7mph. Next time I go that route I will try to remember to video the progress. I go into it at 20mph and gradually slow down till I crest the peak.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
It's done it on more than one hill but all are semi steep 1/2 mile long hills (maybe 1/4 mile WAG here). I gradually lose speed to 7mph. Next time I go that route I will try to remember to video the progress. I go into it at 20mph and gradually slow down till I crest the peak.
You already know to let off the go pedal just a little, right?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You already know to let off the go pedal just a little, right?
Yeah, that worked better on the 06 RTV900 and on the 09 RTV1140 that I had. On this newer RTV x1100c letting up on the pedal does not have as much of an impact. Does something need tuned on mine so that it does help more when letting off pedal.
Engine does not bog down a lot it just slows down and slowly gets up the hill.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
moved 7mph issue out of sidetrack thread as this is a completely different subject and maybe an issue I need fixed.

dtreid

If the engine is not pulling down, try turning the charge pump pressure up. That will make the tranny more positive.

Reactions: Doc

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
well doc! you know you need to adjust the peddle and the trans linkeage to spec first right??? after all it is an x1100c???? how steep is the hillllll

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
well doc! you know you need to adjust the peddle and the trans linkeage to spec first right??? after all it is an x1100c???? how steep is the hillllll
No ....but I hear ya now.
I don't have a clue to the degree of the hills but I will video it in action and share if not to big.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Doc i checked my speed drop today. i lost 3 mph from 26 on a 1/2 mile 5% slope. hard rocked packed gravel road. probably carrying about 200 lbs payload and myself.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I got a video the other day but it was to big to post. Today I took pics that might help. I paid more attention to speed prior to hill. At most I would be going 12 mph, most of time 10mph. So maybe this is not an issue at all. Before I did not take into consideration how fast I was going into the hills. This is a windy back road and has curves right before and in the hills.

Hill.jpegSpeedUpHill.jpeg

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yup thats kinda slow. mine is bone stock but fine tuned as far as adjustments. on a hill like that mine will drop to about 20 mph. with my bigger tires using a gps i add 3mph to speed so i am going 23 mph. but do note that if the air pressure in the read tires is less than 20 psi it does make it slower. i suggest you start with the foot peddle and work your way through the adjustments. takes about 30 min to do.

Reactions: Doc

v10rick

Site Supporter
You could upload the video to YouTube and then post the link to it here.

My RTV900 will bog down a lot more on a wet gravel hill, but on the same road dry no problem.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The video just shows from 10mph to 7 mph ...the pics do as good or better representation of the situation.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
no need to back off the peddle on the X series. try keeping your foot in it and see what happens
Yes, out of habit I did try letting off the pedal but this is a different beast than the old RTV 900's that I've owned. So it's petal to the metal all the other times. I suspect I'm complaining about nothing. Since my speed is low at the bottom of the hill it looses 2 or 3 mph going up the hill, no biggie. I had not paid attention to how fast I was going when heading into the hill until recently. I'll test this theory on another road where I can be going 20+ when I start up the hill snd see how much it drops. Now I have to find such a hill. LOL

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Heck yeah. Or we could meet at Forked Run. I can see it now. A drag race tween two RTV's. Break neck speeds of 24 mph. Lets do it. LOL

dtreid

Does the engine pull down when the speed decreases? If it does not, you could turn the charge pump pressure up to make the hst more 'positive'