RTV x1100c drops to 7mph on some hills

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good thought. Engine does not pull down on these hill climbs.

dtreid

You need to take the tamper proof cap off of the charge pump adjustment screw and turn it in a turn or two and see how it is.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Tonight something happened that probably has nothing to do with the 7mph issue. But I'm not sure.
I have the machine in L and 4wd going up a steep hill. Gas is at two bars. I get just about to top of hill going 3 or 4 mph and it sputters jerks and dies. When it died I had crested the steep hill and it started right up, sputtered just a little. Then made it up next hill that was not quite as steep to my house. I'm guessing it was due to being low on fuel. Reasonable guess?

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Doc I have a trail that is about a 14% grade. If I am under half tank, mine will sputter same way. On flat road, I can run it down to one bar no problem. Its only when I am on that real steep trail that leads to a ridge top orchard.

Hope that helps.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc I have a trail that is about a 14% grade. If I am under half tank, mine will sputter same way. On flat road, I can run it down to one bar no problem. Its only when I am on that real steep trail that leads to a ridge top orchard.

Hope that helps.
Good. Glad to hear that. That is what I was guessing and hoping it most likely was. No prob. I was planning to top off the tank anyway. :D
Wondering if you ever got stuck in the middle of a hill due to that sputtering?

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Never stopped me. I did ease off the go pedal a little which slowed me down but did not stop. I seemed to notice it most when it was cold outside, around 30 degrees and I initially thought I did not let it warm up enough. But filling up the tank cured it.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yesterday was a good day for a ride. I had to get diesel fuel so I loaded up the cans in the RTV and set off. I also found a GPS app for my phone, speedometer. A free app that will show your GPS speed. Since putting on larger tires the top speed I was seeing was 20. So I thought I needed some major tweaking. With the GPS app I saw a top speed of 28, and easy to get to 26 mph. On hills where I thought I was dropping to 7mph I was really going 11. I did drop from 22mph to 11mph on the longest steepest hill. That is still a huge drop in speed but I feel better knowing I am not dropping all the way to 7mph. :D

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Yesterday was a good day for a ride. I had to get diesel fuel so I loaded up the cans in the RTV and set off. I also found a GPS app for my phone, speedometer. A free app that will show your GPS speed. Since putting on larger tires the top speed I was seeing was 20. So I thought I needed some major tweaking. With the GPS app I saw a top speed of 28, and easy to get to 26 mph. On hills where I thought I was dropping to 7mph I was really going 11. I did drop from 22mph to 11mph on the longest steepest hill. That is still a huge drop in speed but I feel better knowing I am not dropping all the way to 7mph. :D
that sounds about right. i also gained 3 mph with larger tires. from 20 to 11 probably about right if the hill is steep. sounds like your hst is in good shape also. probably could up the fuel just a tad and give it a few rpm to 3650 no load but really your pretty good.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Aurthuritis. I do feel better about it now. Has anyone else noticed such a big discrepancy between GPS speed and digital speedo on the RTV x1100c?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Thanks Aurthuritis. I do feel better about it now. Has anyone else noticed such a big discrepancy between GPS speed and digital speedo on the RTV x1100c?
My x1100c speedo was right on with factory tires. When i replaced the tires with a larger radius i also increased the real speed by 3mph but my speedo still reads the lower speed. I checked and the difference is all across the range.

ZZZ2D1

Site Supporter
Mine is a 3 MPH difference also.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Doc I did some benchmarking today and on Meigs county township roads I cruised along with two adults, one of whom is a former tackle and linebacker and managed about 20mph just taking it easy. On moderate hills, I dropped to 15mph. On substantial hills, I dropped to 11mph but pulled hard. I am running 26 inch blackwaters and was in high gear. Hope this helps.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc I did some benchmarking today and on Meigs county township roads I cruised along with two adults, one of whom is a former tackle and linebacker and managed about 20mph just taking it easy. On moderate hills, I dropped to 15mph. On substantial hills, I dropped to 11mph but pulled hard. I am running 26 inch blackwaters and was in high gear. Hope this helps.
Were those speeds from your digital dash speedo or GPS?

I have 27's on mine and for the life of me could not understand how that increased my top speed. The tires are bigger and heavier than what was on there before. I guess it's due to circumference. Each turn of the center the outside edge goes faster. And the further from the center the faster you go. I think I answered my own question. Does that sound right?

Would you be interested in meeting on Success Rd or Joppa and we could do a run to Forked Run State Park area. We are not allowed in the official park but we run the side roads around the lake. Some beautiful views.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Were those speeds from your digital dash speedo or GPS?

I have 27's on mine and for the life of me could not understand how that increased my top speed. The tires are bigger and heavier than what was on there before. I guess it's due to circumference. Each turn of the center the outside edge goes faster. And the further from the center the faster you go. I think I answered my own question. Does that sound right?

Would you be interested in meeting on Success Rd or Joppa and we could do a run to Forked Run State Park area. We are not allowed in the official park but we run the side roads around the lake. Some beautiful views.
yup. bigger tires more distance per revolution changes the ratio equals more speed as long as you have enough power to overcome the leverage.

Slaw32

If there's enough run room , try to start out with warm machine at about 12 at bottom of hill , hold it to the floor . Shouldn't go below 10 at the top .

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If there's enough run room , try to start out with warm machine at about 12 at bottom of hill , hold it to the floor . Shouldn't go below 10 at the top .
I've done that and it drops way more than 2mph. more like 5.