RTV x1100c popped out of gear going downhill. Out of control

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had a big ole tree fall and block my trail. So I'm backing away and have to back up a steep hill to change direction. I had to go a ways up the hill and had trouble backing up the hill, even after going into 4wd, but eventually I got up to where I could hit the Y part of the other trail. I switch from reverse to forward and go.
I'm in gear and the hydraulics are holding me back from going to fast. Then all the sudden I hear a pop and the RTV picks up speed FAST. A drop off to the pond was directly in front of me but I managed to brake and steer away from that. Scary though.

Somehow I was in gear, then I wasn't. Could have ended much worse than it did.
Anyone else experience their RTV popping out of gear into neutral?

ItBmine

No, not me. I've been on some steep hills. I do find the brakes don't feel very strong in them though when you are in neutral.
Was the shifter still in a gear hole or did it pop out too?

I took mine out of gear once and let it roll down a hill a bit and I had to really step on it to stop it. But then again I'm used to air brakes in big trucks. Even my new F150 feels mushy to me.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a half mile run that I sometimes would take my ole RTV 900 out of gear for a quiet coast down the hill. The x1100c seems a good bit heavier. I have not tried that with this RTV yet. Maybe one day.
But this time it did pop out of gear. I was on a steep hill when I shifted from reverse to forward and I guess it did not go all the way in gear. worked for a bit then POP ...and away we went. Shifter was in neutral.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have a half mile run that I sometimes would take my ole RTV 900 out of gear for a quiet coast down the hill. The x1100c seems a good bit heavier. I have not tried that with this RTV yet. Maybe one day.
But this time it did pop out of gear. I was on a steep hill when I shifted from reverse to forward and I guess it did not go all the way in gear. worked for a bit then POP ...and away we went. Shifter was in neutral.
Its just great that mama has that GOOD washer and dryer that is especially for shorts...........God is good and glad you had the nerve to ride it out........God BLESS YOU BUD....................

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Dennis. The brakes helped for sure ...once I got my foot to it. I was not ready as the engine was hollding me back to a nice downhill speed, till the pop.

I have had same happen on my hydrostat Kubota tractor. Guessing I did not have it seated all the way in gear. Shifting on a hill is tricky.

FTG-05

Thanks Dennis. The brakes helped for sure ...once I got my foot to it. I was not ready as the engine was hollding me back to a nice downhill speed, till the pop.

I have had same happen on my hydrostat Kubota tractor. Guessing I did not have it seated all the way in gear. Shifting on a hill is tricky.
This happened to my Kubota GST tractor the last time I bushhogged my hill. Stick came in and popped it out of 4x4. Right below the crest of the hill. Down I went, rear tires locked, doing nothing. I hesitated dropping the FEL and it's bucket, fearing that I'd flip over and roll down, so I let it go.

Last time I worked my hill. Now I do it all with my right hand - by writing a check. Life is too short.

ItBmine

It is easy to see how it can happen. Shifting isn't the easiest thing to do sometimes on these RTV's. I tried the firm brake pressure technique with mine (and mine isn't always bad) but what I end up doing now when it does stick......I either let it roll a bit, or if it doesn't I just "blip" the throttle and feel it mesh as I push into gear gently.
I doubt it will hurt anything because I don't do it hard enough to where it grinds or clunks into gear.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I agree. That is a good technique.
I rarely shift while on a steep hill but this time I had to. I could not back up the entire hill. It seemed to be in gear, the engine was holding me back. Since it was steep downhill I did not want to hit the throttle. I think this is a very unusual situation and I doubt it happens again. Somehow I managed to place it between gears so it popped out. Something I'll be ready for if I have to shift this way again.