RTV900XT

Deerlope

I am looking into trading up to one of these. My dealer says they now have more power with the same HP. Being able to climb over an 8" concrete block in high range. Does anyone have one? Has anyone heard the pros or cons about them?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No need to move on... It's a new model by name but I don't see anything different in the spec sheet related to power to the wheels. I hadn't replied hoping someone who has one can speak out on the increased climbing capabilities.

I just wonder if they have pumps and things tweaked better off the factory line.

Can you get a demo unit brought out to your place so you can do a side-by-side comparison of performance?

DocGP

Deerlope,
This typically is a very slow forum. Folks will respond if they have any information, but it may take a week or more.

If you find any more 'bota forums, please fill us in.

Doc

Deerlope

No need to move on... It's a new model by name but I don't see anything different in the spec sheet related to power to the wheels. I hadn't replied hoping someone who has one can speak out on the increased climbing capabilities.

I just wonder if they have pumps and things tweaked better off the factory line.

Can you get a demo unit brought out to your place so you can do a side-by-side comparison of performance?

Brian, yes one will be brought out to my turf when he(dealer) gets one in.

Kanook

I'm anxious to read your comments on the "new unit" with comparision to the existing machine...Thanks for the info

doggman

I've got one on order. If you search this site I posted about the changes during the winter.
They are slow arriving at the dealers. Mine was scheduled for the end of March but will now probably be May. It's okay because I still love my 2005... The dealer just made us an offer we couldn't refuse regarding our trade-in.

randu2

Just posted on Kubota site, New VHT Plus 2 ?
Randy

Kubota Ramps-Up Innovations in its Utility Vehicle Line:Introducing the New Kubota RTV900XT

TORRANCE, Calif. (March 29, 2011) - Kubota Tractor Corporation announces the latest version of its popular RTV900 workhorse utility vehicle model, the new and improved RTV900XT. Building on the strengths of Kubota’s diesel-powered RTV900, this model’s key new feature is the exclusive Variable Hydro Transmission (VHT) Plus2, boasting higher torque to maximize towing and hauling performance, along with smooth dynamic-braking and easier shifting, making the Kubota RTV900XT ideal for the toughest residential and professional jobs...

Ricochet

Well, Kubota finally put grease fittings on the rear u-joints (propeller shafts) and put the improved VHT Plus T/M in it.

For some reason the OEM rear u-joints did not have grease fittings but the replacement parts did. I believe this was Kubota being cheap and finally realizing they had a problem with rear u-joint and spline failures. Their QA/Warranty department is very slow to respond to issues like this and they are not the sharpest tools in the shed, to say the least. The XT is the same RTV900 but with new decals, seat and a better T/M and T/M components...which basically addresses customer complaints (be it 2-3 or more years late). Lastly, the grill guard looks the same to me in their photos, so I'm not sure what is different there.

I'll bump up the thread (by doggman) that talks about the differences between the VHT Plus and VHT Plus 2 T/M. I can find out more if y'all are interested.

Last edited:

Kanook

Well, Kubota finally put grease fittings on the rear u-joints (propeller shafts) and put the improved VHT Plus T/M in it.

I can find out more if y'all are interested.

Any info on this "new" RTV would be appreciated. I am curious if the new tranny addresses the shifting difficulties encountered on the older units due to torque still being applied after a full stop. This is not an issue for those that are not required to constantly shift forward/reverse but quickly becomes a major pain in the butt when it is used in snow plowing.

I have tweeked my RTV900 so that it shifts "almost as good" as a RTV1100 that I test drove, but neither are suitable for commercial laneway plowing (which is what I do)...

They're great little snow pushers but that shifting means mine gets used only for light clean-up duty
Please tell me that Kubota has addressed this in my opinion "flaw".

Deerlope

Many thanks for all the repies, they are a big help. However I don't think I will be buying new anytime soon. The area that I live in does not have dealers every 20 miles or so down the road. I called my local dealer 4 times last week to see how big of a tire was safe to go with on the front and rear of my present 900. Still do not have an answer. If I can not get answers on the old one I sure won't get them on the new one.

Ricochet

Any info on this "new" RTV would be appreciated. I am curious if the new tranny addresses the shifting difficulties encountered on the older units due to torque still being applied after a full stop. This is not an issue for those that are not required to constantly shift forward/reverse but quickly becomes a major pain in the butt when it is used in snow plowing.

I have tweeked my RTV900 so that it shifts "almost as good" as a RTV1100 that I test drove, but neither are suitable for commercial laneway plowing (which is what I do)...

They're great little snow pushers but that shifting means mine gets used only for light clean-up duty
Please tell me that Kubota has addressed this in my opinion "flaw".

Yes, it does take care of the issues you mention. It took a few years for the Kubota designers to get right...better late than never I guess.

Kanook

Not sayin' I'm going to trade my '04 900 in for one of these, but I am sufficiently motivated to check these new models out when my dealer gets one in...Thanks for the info.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Kanook,
I plow my own driveway and my sons but that is about it.

I did change the shift gate to make getting to reverse easier. That helped. Not sure why they made it like they did, no real reason as the things don't shift unless you are stopped.

Having my neutral set, then adjusting the hst rod afterwards, was a big help. My RTV1100 2009 was always a bear to shift before these changes.

Attachments

• IMG_1277small.jpg
    IMG_1277small.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 117

LongBlackRam

Howdy, I guess this is my first post. I've been lurking here since before the move from compact tractor review. Plenty of good information can be found on this site.

My RTV 900 was built 10/08 and has about 340 hrs on it. Its camo with black canope, heater, windshield & drivers wiper.

Looks like they forgot to include the reverse pedal in the new VHT +2.

Kanook

Spudhauler....Ihad not noticed before, but the shape of the shift gate is different from mine. (unless your camera angle is creating the illusion). On my 900 the gate shape is a straight H where as yours is more V shaped (the h to m side slopes toward the R, top to bottom). I think I'm going to eliminate that hook.. as you have.. to facilitate getting into R. As you say it really doesn't serve and usefull purpose.

Thanks

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum LBR!

I too would have liked to see a reverse pedal.