RTV_X1100C Mirrors

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
OK this may take a while. Fixing the wobbly socket. First off use inch and a quarter long, 1/4" screws with a lock washer on only the nut end. This will make the mirrors very secure. As far as lowering the mirrors, (you need to be adventurous here) . Add (pack tight) with dry sand in the inside of the thin walled tube this will keep it from collapsing while bending. Insert a 6mm screw in threaded hole to keep sand from falling out. Need a good vise to hold the tube while heating to a cherry red. Once tube is red ,you can easily bend tube appx 30 degrees from the (perpendicular pivot tube) using a pipe wrench. You can also add a slight twist to the tube to add more drop. I achieved appx. 2.50" drop. More than enough to lower the mirrors. Took 3 hours to do. Also remove the 2 plastic caps at each end of the pivot tube, prior to heating. Works great.
Oh boy, not sure where to start, but here goes. I noticed the screws that came with the mirrors are starting to rust, so I will go to HD to try and find stainless inch and a quarter long, 1/4" screws with a lock washer and nut, as well as 8x32 cap head screws (Westfield mod) for comparison, to tighten the socket. I will post a pic when I get them to be sure I have the right ones.

BTW, I am not a mechanical engineer, just an insurance agent with a high school education, so go easy on me for this next part. I assume you are using some type of torch to heat the sand filled tube cherry red? I don't have a torch either. And lets just say that everything went well with the heating and bending, because with my lack of skills and experience I will absolutely mess that up in every way possible. I would then have to repaint the re-bent tubes because the torch will burn off the original finish. And then reassemble and install.

So to sum things up. for most of us this is not a "no cost" mod. I need to buy a torch, and spray paint, and another set of mirrors (because I will kink and bend the crap out of the original ones) to replace the ones I fubared. And still have to buy the Helibars extenders to achieve the same thing.

No thank you. I think I'll just take the short cut, and save me some money, trouble, time, and aggravation with the simple Helibar and larger screw with washer mod. Now that is something I can handle.

Thanks for everybody's input, this has been fun! Stay tuned for my results!

Semper-Fi

Oh boy, not sure where to start, but here goes. I noticed the screws that came with the mirrors are starting to rust, so I will go to HD to try and find stainless inch and a quarter long, 1/4" screws with a lock washer and nut, as well as 8x32 cap head screws (Westfield mod) for comparison, to tighten the socket. I will post a pic when I get them to be sure I have the right ones.

BTW, I am not a mechanical engineer, just an insurance agent with a high school education, so go easy on me for this next part. I assume you are using some type of torch to heat the sand filled tube cherry red? I don't have a torch either. And lets just say that everything went well with the heating and bending, because with my lack of skills and experience I will absolutely mess that up in every way possible. I would then have to repaint the re-bent tubes because the torch will burn off the original finish. And then reassemble and install.

So to sum things up. for most of us this is not a "no cost" mod. I need to buy a torch, and spray paint, and another set of mirrors (because I will kink and bend the crap out of the original ones) to replace the ones I fubared. And still have to buy the Helibars extenders to achieve the same thing.

No thank you. I think I'll just take the short cut, and save me some money, trouble, time, and aggravation with the simple Helibar and larger screw with washer mod. Now that is something I can handle.

Thanks for everybody's input, this has been fun! Stay tuned for my results!
Yes Bota Fett , the tube bending is a very clean &economical option providing you have the know-how as well as all the necessary equipment. It cost Me nothing but 3 hrs time. Good luck in whatever works for You.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Could you give us some info on your mirrors. Custom made, store-bought, where did you purchase the mirrors.

Thanks Westfield
The brackets were made by a fellow forum member (who I haven’t seen post in a long time) and i am not sure where he purchased the mirrors that are mounted on there. I know not much help but the design and mirrors are are really simple and work great

Semper-Fi

The brackets were made by a fellow forum member (who I haven’t seen post in a long time) and i am not sure where he purchased the mirrors that are mounted on there. I know not much help but the design and mirrors are are really simple and work great
I understand the upper 2 bolt attachment. It almost looks like the lower brkt is fixed to the door?

ItBmine

Me too after seeing that. My mirrors still haven't come in, so still not sure if I'm going to dislike them yet or not.

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
I wonder if those mirrors would thread into the stems we all have? Do you know the thread size and pitch?