Seems to be a dog

Doug S

Let me start by saying I purchased my RTV 1100C for farm use and never wanted a race car.

So here goes...

My RTV is two years old and has about 30 hours on it. Been real busy and don't get to use it enough. When I drive up the lane, about one mile long and a slight incline, the unit starts out around 18 MPH and slows gradually to 14 MPH.
I took it to the dealer and they said they adjusted the squash plates. Now you have to push the accelerator half way down to get it to move. Also the idle RPM is much higher than it was. As a final insult, when I got it back from service, they DOUBLED the hours on my machine.It also tops out at 18 MPH on flat ground.
I took it back again and they said it is normal operation and if I want it to go faster up the hill, I need to let off the accelerator to let the engine spool up. My foot is on the floor and when I let off, it slows down, not speeds up.
What is the thoughts from this group on the next course of action? I think speaking with a factory rep would be helpful as the dealers here are all the same owner.

Doug

P.S.
I still love my machine and it will still be awesome at 18 MPH, I would just ;like it to go the advertised 25 when on the blacktop.

Walnut1

Mine does 25 empty on the flat. If I have a full sprayer in the back, 75 gallons, it will do 22/23 on the road to the next field. It takes awhile to get up to speed. A/C drops it 1 mph when it’s on. Yours should do better.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Let me start by saying I purchased my RTV 1100C for farm use and never wanted a race car.

So here goes...

My RTV is two years old and has about 30 hours on it. Been real busy and don't get to use it enough. When I drive up the lane, about one mile long and a slight incline, the unit starts out around 18 MPH and slows gradually to 14 MPH.
I took it to the dealer and they said they adjusted the squash plates. Now you have to push the accelerator half way down to get it to move. Also the idle RPM is much higher than it was. As a final insult, when I got it back from service, they DOUBLED the hours on my machine.It also tops out at 18 MPH on flat ground.
I took it back again and they said it is normal operation and if I want it to go faster up the hill, I need to let off the accelerator to let the engine spool up. My foot is on the floor and when I let off, it slows down, not speeds up.
What is the thoughts from this group on the next course of action? I think speaking with a factory rep would be helpful as the dealers here are all the same owner.

Doug

P.S.
I still love my machine and it will still be awesome at 18 MPH, I would just ;like it to go the advertised 25 when on the blacktop.

sounds like the dealer messed up the adjustment process. just do it yourself so it gets done right. it isn't hard and takes little time. also you should note that it will get better as it breaks in.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm sorry you are having such trouble Doug. A call to the factory rep sure wouldn't hurt. I had RTV 900s and my 2011 once did 30 on the pavement. I say once maybe twice. ;) Usually though it avgd about 22. If you are going to try and do it yourself, I'm sure there are folks on here that can guide you along in the process. I never had to do that though.
Anyways, it doesn't sound right and needs an adjustment I would think. One of our members Dennis found a good dealer in Tenn that had a brain. His post about it were fairly recent so you could do a search on posts within the last year by him where he told the name of the dealership and maybe give them a call. It could have been in Chattanooga but not sure.
Best wishes, bordercollie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
it seems that from the factory most of the RTV are out of adjustment some more some less. the hardest thing to do in the procedure is to understand the wanky service manual. i think there was some loss in the translation from Japanese to english. and the dealers just say live withit!!! KTC had better get a block man out training the service techs on this common easy fixed but much misunderstood condition before it cuts into their reputation.

Doug S

Thanks for the feedback. I will speak with a factory rep and see what they can do with my dealer.
I still love my rig but would like it to run a little better.

Westfield

aurthuritis, I did not even get my machine yet but I'm always curious. Where can I get this information on how to adjust the squash plates? And maybe someone can explain to me what these actually do.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
aurthuritis, I did not even get my machine yet but I'm always curious. Where can I get this information on how to adjust the squash plates? And maybe someone can explain to me what these actually do.

when you get the new machine and can familiarize yourself just let me know and i can walk you through it. the swash plate is what controls the stroke on the pumps/motors to get rpm=speed. the swash plate is adjusted via a linkage threaded rod on the outside of the transmission. it is crucial that the peddle throttle and swash are all in perfect time with each other. it is a robust simple design and most misunderstood. but easy peasy to adjust without special tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_P0Lb3rB5Q

Westfield

informative video, this is a little over my head for this old guy. I have rebuilt vane pumps in my day, they we're vacuum not liquid. So what i got out of it is the angle of the swash plate determines the flow less angle less flow. So do you adjust the angle of the swash plate to get this right?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
informative video, this is a little over my head for this old guy. I have rebuilt vane pumps in my day, they we're vacuum not liquid. So what i got out of it is the angle of the swash plate determines the flow less angle less flow. So do you adjust the angle of the swash plate to get this right?

yes pretty much. with the machine in gear and the peddle at idle the swash plate isn't tilted so there isn't any oil flowing. as you depress the peddle the swash plate begins to tilt and so you just creep. the more peddle the more tilt to the swash and away you go. the idea is to get full travel of the peddle that matches the available tilt to the swash. all while applying throttle to get the Horse power. it all works off of a linkage system and it works real good unless mal adjusted.

Westfield

Thanks for the info I will look into this when I get my machine to see where this is located. Thanks again!

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Thanks for the info I will look into this when I get my machine to see where this is located. Thanks again!

yes on the x1100c the swash servo lever is at the extreme lower left or drivers side rear of the transmission. the control rod runs at an angle toward the front top and connects to a bellcrank.

spin

So here goes...

Doug

P.S.
consider yourself lucky,my rtv1100 tops out at 15mph,,, its a real dog,and,my tranny slips too,,,,,,very over rated machine

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
you need to adjust the whole linkage from the peddle to the hst and injection pump. if it isn't in spec you wont be able to diagnose any of the problems you mention. my x1100c had exactly the same issues and after I adjusted to spec it was much better

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Anyways, it doesn't sound right and needs an adjustment I would think. One of our members Dennis found a good dealer in Tenn that had a brain. His post about it were fairly recent so you could do a search on posts within the last year by him where he told the name of the dealership and maybe give them a call. It could have been in Chattanooga but not sure.
Best wishes, bordercollie

Just saw this Doug. I dont see any feedback of you getting it straightened out and throwing a tool like the RTV away cause it doesnt work right is not a good thing..........Do you live close to Chattanooga or where?? It would be great to try to hook you up with the dealer there cause they have a tech there that is fantastic. Let me know if I can help you..............God bless....Dennis