Spray on bedliner on an 1140

ny unsub

Been considering having the bed of my 1140 Line-ex'd, anyone had it done before? Any issues converting the bed after? The other thought I had is fixing the bed in the short configuration, since I never change it.

vintovka

Nice, but IMHO bed/gate metal is too thin/weak to sustain my kind of heavy use w/o damage. A full bed liner of good 3/4 ply with full rail protection, diamond plate on tailgate and real tailgate chains cured my weak points. You could add removable side racks while youre at too. Good paint and sealer on the seams will lengthen its life. Being removable helps so you can check on the bed itself every s often.

Sorry to say the only benefit i can see with spray on liner is that it looks nice when its brand new and does give some long term rust control. Spray on does add some sound control but a liner will give you much, much more. I would buy a kit and do it myself if I felt it necessary. My RTV has its own little place in a nice dry garage (with its own remote opener) so is mostly out of weather.

vintovka

To the above, I should add that a well constructed liner can stiffen the bed frame and keep it in square. It acts like skeleton on mine and has defied some real hard use/abuse. Seen several RTV beds damaged by slight rear end collisions. Many owners have bent the bed to the point you could not close the gate or it would spring open on a bump. Leaving the gate off is also not an option as the closed gate actually helps keep the bed rails held together.

Easier and cheaper to just build another liner when needed than replace the $$$ original bed.

Ok i said enough.

Mark.Sibole

Nice, but IMHO bed/gate metal is too thin/weak to sustain my kind of heavy use w/o damage. A full bed liner of good 3/4 ply with full rail protection, diamond plate on tailgate and real tailgate chains cured my weak points. You could add removable side racks while youre at too. Good paint and sealer on the seams will lengthen its life. Being removable helps so you can check on the bed itself every s often.

Sorry to say the only benefit i can see with spray on liner is that it looks nice when its brand new and does give some long term rust control. Spray on does add some sound control but a liner will give you much, much more. I would buy a kit and do it myself if I felt it necessary. My RTV has its own little place in a nice dry garage (with its own remote opener) so is mostly out of weather.

Even being thin Ive had mine for 8 years and have hauled a couple hundred cords of wood in it plus anything else I can throw in and other than a few minor dents from me missing the bed while log chucking they are pretty durable.I thought about a bed liner or spray on and never seen the need for it myself and by no means am I easy on my Machine

BigDan

:shit:I purchased a 1" thick rubber mat from Tractor supply, trimmed to fit the bottom. I like this very much. I think the mat was about $30 or so.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A fine choice (of the stall pad)

I'm a little late now in replying but I got one of the first RTV's back in 2004. I didn't have a forum to inquire about the integrity of the bed, especially when throwing firewood into it. On the day I got it, I took off the OEM sides and tailgate and made my own box out of wood. At 7 1/2 years, it's still holding strong. I also built in some much needed storage.

DocGP

Not the best picture for examining the bed, but here is mine with Rhinoliner. Was 200 bucks if I took the bed off and took it to them;

DSC_0203.jpg

I MUCH prefer the spray in bedliner. My experience with the plastic inserts is that they rub the paint off and you are going to get some moisture under there one way or another.

Have had no problems with knocking any off after 18 mo or so. Don't haul gravel but a good bit of wood and deer feeders/stands/ladders, etc.

Doc

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks real good Doc!

Don't haul gravel but a good bit of wood and deer feeders/stands/ladders, etc.
Ummm, you mentioned feeders/stands/ladders but no mention of a deer. Do you shoot them with a Canon like I do? I'm the only one in the family that eats venison so I don't hunt them anymore. Get a whole cow in the freezer and that works for us.

ny unsub

I like the idea of the Rhino or LineX spray on liners, but there's that convertable bed on the 1140 that might not work. Anyone done an 1140?

BigBen

I'm Like Doc, I much more prefer spray-in liners. We have had drop in liners in all our trucks years ago,and have had all sprayed in now. The drop-in's rub paint off and one rusted thru. Have tried all the spray-in's, Rhino, Line-X, etc. Found one that beats em all, Perma-tech !! It maintains a rubber like feel and stays with the metal even if dented. We love the stuff. Only pic I have is when it was new in '07, still holding on strong.

Attachments

• Bed Liner.jpg
    Bed Liner.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 202

DocGP

Looks real good Doc!

Ummm, you mentioned feeders/stands/ladders but no mention of a deer. Do you shoot them with a Canon like I do? I'm the only one in the family that eats venison so I don't hunt them anymore. Get a whole cow in the freezer and that works for us.

Yes, I do hunt with a cannon. I have a sweet spot for the 50 Beowulf.....piles them up where they stand!!!! However the stupid thing is, if I spent the money on beef that I do on all this dang stuff.....well we would be money (and beef) ahead......

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a sweet spot for the 50 Beowulf.....piles up what's left of them up where they stand!!!!
Here you go Doc. Fixed it for you with the text in bold.

However the stupid thing is, if I spent the money on beef that I do on all this dang stuff.....well we would be money (and beef) ahead......
I found it doesn't quite work that way. If you're like me, you'll still have all this dang stuff anyway. :wink: As a rough number, I'd say we go through about 500# hanging weight of beef each year. That's around $1300. If you only buy one gun a year, it's a wash.

Trailmaker1

Hello, new 1140 owner here. I thought I'd bump this thread since I'm interested in lining the bed. Has anyone done an 1140 yet. How hard is it to remove the bed?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Can't help with the bedliner but I can welcome you to the forum, so welcome aboard!

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
mythbusters did a story on bed liners they sprayed on entire car with bed liner and left on plain they then ran the car into a brick wall and to prove the myth the car with the spray on bed liner didn't have much damage to it now the one without bed liner did have alot of dents on it so to prove the fact that bed liner does stiiffen and add strenghth to the metal is a proved fact. i'll see if i can find the epesode where they done it.

Trailmaker1

Thanks for the welcome bczoom. Peanut, this might be the video

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-fHI8tJhwg[/ame]

I had my Tacoma completely coated with Line-X a few years ago and it's held up very well.

Heatwave

Got my RTV900 bed Line-X'd during the first week after purchasing the machine, 4 years ago. No complaints.