Squeak be gone

DIXIEDOG

I finally got around to fixing my squeaking steering wheel on the RTV 500...I popped the steering wheel nut cover, took the nut off with my fingers...it wasn't even snug:bonk: and then I pulled it right out. After the wheel was off I pulled the rubber bushing and sprayed the inside and outside of the bushing with Fluid Film and sprayed the shaft with fluid film as well. It's nice and quiet now. :clap: Hopefully it stays that way for awhile.

Bucks_071

I pulled the cap off and removed the center nut but the steering wheel wont come OFF? I even took a rubber mallet to it and it would not budge. Is there anything else besides the center nut holding on the wheel? The squeak is driving me insane. LOL.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
I pulled the cap off and removed the center nut but the steering wheel wont come OFF? I even took a rubber mallet to it and it would not budge. Is there anything else besides the center nut holding on the wheel? The squeak is driving me insane. LOL.

kinda reminds me of this old story where this old guy went to the dr because he was havin trouble down stairs.so the dr gave him a scipt and told him to come back a week later to let him know how thing went. well a week later the ole man went to the dr the dr walk into his room and asked if his problem he was having got any better. the ole man said dr i don't know i tried with my right hand and nuthin i then tried with my left hand and still nuthin.i called my wife into the room and let her try she tried with her right hand and then the left hand and still nuthin she then tried with her mouth and nuthin happened she even took her teeth outand gave it a try like that and still nuthin. the ole man then hands the bottle of meds he had prescribed to the ole man and said here you try to get the cap off cause me and the mrs can't get it.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This works for me but do at your own risk since you'll be hitting on the shaft.

Loosen the nut enough so it's flush with the end of the threads. Use the mallet (or a real hammer if you dare) and hit the nut while someone else has hold of the wheel on both sides and pulling hard.

Option B is to put some Kroil on the shaft and let it seep into the area where the wheel is attached to the shaft. Wait a day then try some removal method.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
yes that kroil stuff works the best i have a can or two in my shop and when a nut or bolt won't move just a little spray of that stuff and let it set for a while and most if not all the time it will loosen it up.

DIXIEDOG

It's been over a year since I put Fluid Film on it and it's still squeak free:a1:

That nut is all that's holding the wheel on there, I pulled mine off with out anything but my hands. I would spray it and leave it awhile and see if it comes off easy. The problem with using a hammer is you could cock the wheel off and make it worse.

oldhat

Site Supporter
Go to the local parts store and borrow a steering wheel puller. All the parts places around hear do that. They want a deposit so you bring it back but refund it when you return it. Be sure to use it properly or you could screw up the shaft.