starting RTV 1100 when cold

mrploww

Hi, I just bought a 2008 1100. It does not have an owners manual with it, but I have one on order. When starting it in the cold, do I turn the key until the glow plug light comes on and just hold it there? I figured you turned the key to the On position and the light would just come on. I have to turn the key a little more, almost to the crank position to see the light. Does that seem right? Will the light go off when it is ready to crank? I guess I am trying to figure out if this is a Wait to Start light similar to my Cummins truck or a little different?

Thanks for the help!

Kanook

While the key is held in the 'heat' (glow plug) position, the glow plugs are being energized. As long as the key is held in this position. Depending on the outside temperature you are trying to start the engine in, this could be as little as 5 sec to 20 or 30.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The light does not go out when ready. I do hear a 'click' after it has been on a few seconds, then I turn further and it fires right up. On my Kubota tractor the light goes off when it's ready to fire but on my 06 RTV it does not go off, but I'll guess you'll hear the click (I assume that means it's ready).

Kanook

I believe the clicking you are hearing is the hour meter and not glow plugs.

Yes, that is the hour meter...I guess what I should have said is that the glow plugs are being heated as long as you hold the key in the position between run and start (preheat).

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I believe the clicking you are hearing is the hour meter and not glow plugs.

Yes, that is the hour meter...I guess what I should have said is that the glow plugs are being heated as long as you hold the key in the position between run and start (preheat).

Oh, Thanks guys. I'm new to the RTV also MrPlow. I just got my 06 RTV900 last Dec. I can't wait for warmer weather to really get to use it more often.

Mark.Sibole

Yes the clicking is the hour meter you are hearing.When you turn it a bit more you will see the glow coil light come on.Depending on temps will determin on how long you want the glow coil to run.On mine 2 to 4 seconds in warm weather and I go as long as 30 seconds in temps from 20 degrees and lower.You will figure out the bugs of each machine the longer you own it.Then its second nature to you.As with anything else RTV there are so many members here that know all there is to know about the RTV so never be afaraid to ask.Better to ask a dumb question than to make a dumb mistake or get frustraited over nothing.We are all here here to help each other and combined between all of us here there isnt much we cant figure out fix or answer