starting the kubota 1100 in cold weather

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i learned something new this morning while starting the 1100. the temp here was 2 degrees F with light wind. i already had anti gell in the fuel so i knew that wouldn't be a problem, so what i learned was that i had to glow the engine for 1 min and continue cranking to assist the engine as it was running but would die without the starter. the new biggie for me anyway was the discovery that if you fudge back on the key while cranking you can glow while the starter is engaged. that caused the engine to take right off and then i released the key some more and continue to glow for about another 15 sec. i used to do this on the old Caterpillar but i had separate glow plug control. should take the wear from the starter.:starbucks:

foxalaska

My Bota is the only transportation I currently have in the village, so cold starting is a must. I've started it as low as -15 without using the block heater. It seems to start better if I cycle the glow plug and start 3 or 4 times. Glow, then run starter for a short time and repeat. The idea is to build some heat in the combustion area. If the starter is run to long to much cold air is drawn in, cooling the combustion area. A little pause between cycles help. I've used Botas at -50 up north with block heaters with no problems. Have to baby the hydrostatic drive for awhile until it warms up.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
My Bota is the only transportation I currently have in the village, so cold starting is a must. I've started it as low as -15 without using the block heater. It seems to start better if I cycle the glow plug and start 3 or 4 times. Glow, then run starter for a short time and repeat. The idea is to build some heat in the combustion area. If the starter is run to long to much cold air is drawn in, cooling the combustion area. A little pause between cycles help. I've used Botas at -50 up north with block heaters with no problems. Have to baby the hydrostatic drive for awhile until it warms up.

Thanks you are correct and that is the way i have been starting it when it is cold enough to require it. but if you can apply the glow plugs while the starter is engaged it isn't necessary to pause. at least at 4 degrees it isn't but at 50 below who knows?

foxalaska

At $.70 a kwh, I don't run the block heater very long. The city had a meeting last night, discussing utility rates, and a buck a kwh is a possibility, which is the rate in many of the other villages in Alaska. May rig up quick connectors and use my hydronic wood boiler for engine heating. A heated "buggy" house is probably the best way to go. Then everything will be warm. Of course, if you lower 48'rs keep taking our cold I wouldn't need to do all this. 27 above today!!! Thanks!!

hondajoe

Cold start

For me anything under 32 degrees is going to get a block heater.It starts better and runs better don't rattle and fight to run my tractor always had a heater started like summer.Joe

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
At $.70 a kwh, I don't run the block heater very long. The city had a meeting last night, discussing utility rates, and a buck a kwh is a possibility, which is the rate in many of the other villages in Alaska. May rig up quick connectors and use my hydronic wood boiler for engine heating. A heated "buggy" house is probably the best way to go. Then everything will be warm. Of course, if you lower 48'rs keep taking our cold I wouldn't need to do all this. 27 above today!!! Thanks!!

if you would shut the door we could warm up. you were warmer than me today.:yum:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
30 to 40 below for us in a couple days. You lower 48'ers should start warming up. You're welcome.
We're welcome for you giving us our normal weather back? You took our warm weather and kept it for yourself for the last month. ;)

I caught on the news this morning that there was snow in all 50 States this morning. Hawaii has it on top of their volcanoes.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yea, and keep it up there please. I've had only one pipe bust so far. Ritchie Water troughs are still frozen even at the covered float though . 12 degrees just doesn't cut it down here- just not prepared for multiple days and nights below freezing. Pleassssse, Take it back and lock the door. ;) collie.

Lee1935

my x900 at zero degrees starts just fine, however per the manual I go by how cold it is to determine how long to use the glow plugs, about 18-20 seconds from 28 to 10, after that I will slowly count to 50. Never have had to monkey around trying to start the engine while engaging the glow plugs☺☺

Lots of weird things start to happen when the temp stays at -30 or more. metal will shatter like glass, plastic?☺ breath on it hard and it might fall into little pieces.

CKing

How much sun do you get? Would a solar cell with water/antifreeze mix help store heat for the night, or too cloudy too short. :14_6_12:

The fuel suppliers should be blending more DF-1 (kerosene) into the DF-2 diesel fuel in cold weather. However, I keep a supply of kerosene around with an good dose of Optilube XPD for wintertime use to reduce the chance of jelling, and to improve the cetane number and lubricity. I did have difficulty starting on what was probably mostly DF-2 with temperatures below zero degF (maybe -15 F) when the X1100C was new with fuel from the dealer.

Lee1935

1969-1974 Fairbanks, you could buy a electric or propane hot water circulater
which was many times better than any block heater. I had one hooked to a 63 ford 6 cyl. That ford would start instantly in weather down to -69. You just had to be careful not to set on the seat until the chill was off☺

Lee1935

I don't know if I'd have the guts to back and live up there ☺ somewhere I have a old photo of a outdoor thermometer in Fairbanks that shows -69

foxalaska

40 below this morning. Forecast 48 below tomorrow. Hope you lower 48'ers understand the sacrifice I'm making so your hiney's are frost free.

foxalaska

Damn it boys. Been bouncing between 40 and 45 below for the last 18 hours. Any chance of sending some of this "fun" to you lower 48'ers!!