Stupid question

elkhound

Site Supporter
Early last fall i purchased a 2001 Kubota L3000DT. This is my first tractor, outside of yard and garden tractors. So from time to time i'll ask some stupid questions.

Just before Christmas i purchased a used plow and disk. And as i can afford i'll buy other implements. I've not used any implements other than a lift pole as of yet. And does my back love that implement. Recently i was looking at the 3 different positions the top link can be adjusted to. So here is my question. What implements work best with the top link either in the top hole, middle hole (which is where it is located now), or bottom hole?

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Try them all and see what works. I think you will find that when an implement is lifted, the clearance to tires will vary according to which hole you used. Also how far the back of the implement will rise depends on which hole.

I don't know if the hole makes any difference with the implement lowered. You adjust whether the lowered implement is nose-low or nose-high by adjusting the length of the top link.

Kanook

Many years ago I asked this very question of a tractor salesman.. His response was that ideally the lower lift arms and top link should be parallel to each other with the emplement attached to the tractor...Can't vouch for the accuracy of the response....after all...he was a salesman.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Makes sense to me Kanook.
Not a dumb question at all elkhound. I have regularly used a 72" rear finish mower, rotary cutter aka bush hog, box blade, regular blade, potato plow and a 3PH rake. I have always been okay using the center hole for the 3PH. With the adjustment in the top link I've never had any issues, but not sure I'm using the right hole per implement.

urednecku

Only stupid questions are then ones you don't ask!!!!
The Operators Manuel for my KUBOTA M7040 explains it this way:
"If the hydraulic unit is set for draft control, draft response is more sensitive when an implement is connected to the lower set of top link mounting holes. If draft control is not required, it is recommended to use the top set."
In the "Hydraulic Control Unit Use Reference Chart" it shows using things like a plow or disc, etc. in one of the bottom 2 holes. I think when it's set right, (the 'draft control') the system will lift the plow up or lower it down according to how hard the tractor is pulling.
If yer using a mower or digger, scraper, or something that does not need the draft control, use the top hole.

If you can find an operators manual, it'll help ya with a lot of this kinda info.

(OH YEA, I have the manual in front of me, & I still have trouble understand just how to set this dang thing!!!)