Todays shop time

Oldpath

I went in the woods this morning and decided it was a bit to muddy so figured it was a good day to drop my skid plate and do a little cleaning, it had about 3 years of dirt on it. Theres 4>1/2" bolts on front and 4>5/8" bolts on back that hold it on, gives much needed protection in the woods, just makes it harder to grease the 2 brake zerks underneath, so before the plate went back on I grease it up, one wasn't working good so changed that one then blew all the rest of dirt off.
fZOCNQnh.jpg

1HeHzLih.jpg

hFeMmU7h.jpg

IB49kdDh.jpg

5chhL3ih.jpg

48XTAxHh.jpg

0uQgU1Ih.jpg

Reactions: Doc

Oldpath

I used one of these long blow-guns from HF, I drill out the hole in the restrictor to get more flow, now it real blows the dirt out from the walls. I bought it to blow tractor radiator out, I have another air restrictor to screw back in if it's now to much.

The 5 sec rule didn't last long.........

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've heard of the 5 second rule where if you can pick it up off the floor in 5 sec or less you can eat it. But I know your not eating the stuff off that garage floor so wondering what your 5 sec rule is?

Oldpath

Well I figured since I spent 2 hours sweeping out the garage floor collecting a 5 gal pal of dirt, if the wifey brought in some fresh Dunkin Donuts and telling me I was doing a wonderful job and then 5 fresh donuts got dropped on the freshly clean garage floor, they'd still be fresh and good if picked up in 5 seconds. That's how much I trust my cleaning, it would be 50 minutes if I washed the floor, PS I dont do the house floor, sorry dear....

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
After I sweep out the big stuff, I run a leaf blower around the shop. It gets everything that's stuck under things, cracks and the dust/dirt the broom missed. Just be careful where you point it so you don't blow everything off your shelves.

Oldpath

My red-neck seat spring didn't last long, I know I was shocked to. All the ebay ones was for the BX and I thought a little pricy at $30.00.
Now the $18.00 dollar question, use both new springs, just replace the one thats broke or buy a new tractor.........
IMG-9945.JPG

IMG-9943.JPG

IMG-9944.JPG

IMG-9942.jpg

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Good call. Messicks is always nice to deal with. We buy parts for the little Case 1840 skid steer from them too. It's my favorite skid steer so easy to handle compared to the cat brand ... Old Path, mighty nice saying you have quoted at the bottom of your post. Thanks for it.

Oldpath

This was the first time I bought parts from Messick's, I usually buy from Coleman but they didn't have the springs. I notice this time at Messick's they gave shipping quote right up front, I complained about that 4 years ago, I dont like buy stuff without knowing shipping cost, sometimes that can be a shocker. I they keep giving shipping quotes I'll buy my tractor oil there to although it only takes a week to get get it from Coleman

Couple years ago I ask my local Kubota dealer why dont they do tractor parts selling and shipping, they wasn't interested. To me if a business gets stuck in the past they might become the past especially while in this pandemic culture, let alone I cant stand going to stores anyways, deal with crowds, traffic and for it's very time consuming.

Oldpath

My son picked up a free Alpiner wood stove this weekend to replace a homemade one that is 25 years old, he had to relocate the smoke outlet to the top side and he wanted runners on the stove leg's. I used a carbon arc gouger to remove the outlet, works real good depending how steady one's hand is, course going round around pipe is always harder, have to constantly change hand angle, same when welding.

One thing for sure it's one heavy wood stove, built with 1/4" plate steel, in Canada long ago I believe. I dont think this stile is still made, everyone has switched to making catalytic wood burning stoves starting at 2k, I know someone that has this brand wood stove and likes it......
IMG-9935 (1).JPG

IMG-9936 (1).JPG

IMG-9950.JPG

IMG-9951 (1).JPG

IMG-9955 (1).JPG

IMG-9959 (1).JPG

Oldpath

Rough week expensive to at around $300.00 for tire fix, I found out I had a leak when I went to fix my loader mount, to much bulldozer work. I wonder if a bulldozer would be the same price as a tractor, if they are I made the wrong choice, but then I cant remember the last time I seen a dozer with FEL, a must have for me, so guess I'm back right where I started from.......
I need to see about fixing tires my self but liquid ballast adds to the complication not to mention one is very lucky to get a tire fixed in one week at a tractor dealer, especially this time of year but they did. Also need to see about wheel weights to but even thats a pain to find weights for L3400, ones that I can afford, ones that add up to around 200lbs each side.
IMG-0206.jpg
IMG-0123.JPG

IMG-0174.JPG

IMG-0175.JPGIMG-0167.JPG

IMG-0171.JPG

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ouch. $300 to fix a tire.
Around here, we do have a tire company that'll come to your farm to fix tires. You pay a premium but they're there pretty quickly (normally, same or next day). They can also drain then re-load you liquid ballast while onsite.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It's about 200 for a road trip to here too. That is sure expensive but better than the price of a new tire these days. Rubber just doesn't last like it used to.

Oldpath

Yeah it cost a lot to fix a loaded tire. I figure there's 5 hard parts to tractor tire change, get ballast out, break bead, remove tire, put tire back on, put ballast back in, and in my case I prefer ballast in tube.
But I thought they would reuse what ballast was left but they dont do that, another reason doing this my self with wheel weights and windshield washer fluid.
Why is it the easer things are the more it cost, heres a $1,000.00 example,........

Oldpath

This was car maintenance day, trying to get a few more miles out of my 04 Jeep Liberty with 180k mi, it was getting over due on plug change and way way way overdue on trans-fluid change. So fortunately I have my oldest son to help where he's more mechanically inclined, he gets lots of practice keeping his mill and equipment running. The plugs are suppose to gapped somewhere around 0.035-0.038, the old ones was over 0.060 and with no never-seize on threads they come out like rusted hinges on 100 year old barn door, all in all though the early Jeep Liberty's are fairly easy to change plugs, you can see the motor, I wouldn't buying another Liberty if I could find one in good shape near by.

One important thumb note, a magnetic socket works good on these deep hole plugs....
IMG-0383.JPG
IMG-0384.JPG
IMG-0385.JPG
IMG-0387.JPG
Now the messy part, someone forgot to put drain plugs on the Liberty's trans pan, hope he got fired with a very large severance pay package. I watched a couple videos on it and what I noticed is a car lift with tall drain catch pan would make it much easier, this lying on floor work is for the young. So I was on one side son on the other, go around loosen up bolts over a big wide what ever you can find that the wife aint using.

So as I looked at the trans pan I notice wow it's more rusted then rest of the Jeep, and sure enough, after all off and cleaned up, painted and put back on, a small little leak on the side, I wire brushed a little a put some gasket maker on in as soon as it was put on no leak, now wait let it dry overnight hoping I can get by til a new one shows up next week. So yah-hoo get to do this all over again, dont really mine though as dark and dirty that trans oil looked it could use another change, and since I heard horror stories of a trans flush I rather just drain and refill.

Oldpath

There was only 13 bolts on the trans pan but when I saw a battery ratchet last month I says to myself nows as good as time as any time to get one, but which one, I have Dewalt and Ryobi and dont want anymore different batterys, so after a couple videos on Ryobi of how the head will rotate and I cant find Dewalt battery ratchet, I says Ryobi is the one to get. It worked good on getting all those bolts out, just start the bolts like a regular ratchet then push the variable speed trigger.
Starting bolts by hand is good since it gives you a feel of how tight the bolts are, dont want to snap bolts off off with something too strong.

For $80.00 it's not bad, especially with a $30.00 gift card that I had for a year, just waiting to spend it on something that I can hold in my hand.....

IMG-0390.JPG
IMG-0388.JPG