Top speed reduced

BigDan

I noticed Tuesday evening the top speed of my 900XT was about 21mph, I've seen it up to 26. I now have 21 hours on it and seems to have lost a little power. Any ideas ? :drink::drink:

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
BigDan, was the machined warmed up to operating temperature when you noticed the reduced top end speed? Oil viscosity due to cold temperature could reduce speed. If all was warm, I'd check the spark arrester if you still have one installed. Another thought related to temperature is tire air pressure. If pressure has reduced due to colder ambient temperature, your speed will be reduced.

BigDan

It was not up to full operating temp, and it was about 50 out so tire pressure and oil temp may have effected, when I run this thing I've noticed it takes about 10 minutes or more to get up to operating temp. I have removed the spark arrestor.

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
50 psig raised an eyebrow. Thats 30 psig above maximum stated in the OEM Operator's Manual. That didn't reduce your speed but could reduce tire life and create a bumpy ride.

It seems as though someone else recently experienced a reduction in speed on a new 900 XT. I'll do some searching.

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
BigDan, Electric posted a thread on December 13th??? about the same issue. Electric never stated what the cause was if that has been determined. You might consider sending a private message to Electric to question what he/she found.

Last edited:

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
.... on ours, and several others. It did slow down a little.
BUT, when we serviced the machine. Boom, went right back up.
Fluid is running threw filters faster, which gives one better performance...

When a unit is brand new, there is much particles in the hydraulic that will get caught up in the filters. And of course, that what the filters is there for, to catch it.

ALL new engines and transmissions has "new shavings" on their first run.

Like stated before, need to let engine and tranny fluid heat up some before starting to run.
Your RTV will pull better with the tranny fluid hot .

Need NOT to have to much air pressure, not good. Wear to quickly, and will make tires wear unevenly. Do what tire states to run.

Quality of fuel is a source. Also, need to keep air filter VERY clean. That is why many buy or fabricate the High Rise system is to keep a clean filter so machine will breathe better and perform at it's best.

Fuel filters. Don't care if it is a so called "new filter". If you run some ruff fuel threw it. Don't care if your machine is almost new. It will slow you down and pull your power away. Just a little bit a bad fuel will not only contaminate the rest of your fuel, but restrict your filter flow.
That is why I am a firm believer in that MR. Funnel when filling up our RTV. Takes all impurities out, along with everything else that DON'T need to go threw the fuel system.

........ two guns

Attachments

• Deer  and Victor Trap.jpg
    Deer and Victor Trap.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 159

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
50 psig raised an eyebrow. Thats 30 psig above maximum stated in the OEM Operator's Manual. That didn't reduce your speed but could reduce tire life and create a bumpy ride.

It seems as though someone else recently experienced a reduction in speed on a new 900 XT. I'll do some searching.

I think he meant air temperature was 50 degrees?. Check the air filter and brake have been some of the members' suggestions. I would check the transmission fluid level and might consider an early fluid and filter change. bordercollie

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Bordercollie, yet again you are right. My bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigDan, I mis-read your post and jumped to an incorrect conclusion. Sorry. I now see you meant 50 degrees-F, not psig.

Last edited:

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Hey TG. Not to change the subject, but, where can I get one of them big rat traps? Peanut? Happy New Year!! :)

Yes, Peanut >>>

He can build anything .....

Was worried about security on the place. Ole Tommy didn't let me down. Next thing I knew, he built and sent me the best security system on planet earth. NOTHING made it threw,
...... NOTHING

You will know the second one comes to close. Just that quick.

Sleep so much better at night now, knowing my family is safe and sound from intruders !!!!

Attachments

• Set bear traps 2008.jpg
    Set bear traps 2008.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 153

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Pepr, I do the same thing. When I am cutting wood or metal I measure 3 times to get it right. ;) .
I posted a picture of how dirty my magnetic transmission plug was on the thread Pepr and Two Guns mentioned. I was glad I changed it.My top most speed was pushing 30 probably 29 mph with the xt. :doggy: bordercollie

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
I do that too!!! Measure once, cut, then measure 2 more times so I can try to figure out how I cut it too short.

sounds like me.lmao thats one reason i like working with iron .if i mess up i can always build it up with weld or add a piece and grind it down but with wood if you cut it short your stuck with a short piece.

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Have you checked the bed to see if Tommy's sister is riding in the back? She would cut your top end down for sure. She wore out her bike!

Attachments

• suster.jpg
    suster.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 113

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Ol "shop" teacher here.........Send em next door to get the board stretcher that the metals guy borrowed..............might take them the whole period to come back empty handed...........God bless.....Dennis

Electric

Big Dan, it sounds like you are having the same problems i am. I have a 2011 900xt with 40 hours on it. i have talked to the dealer and decided to go ahead with the 50hr service to see if it helps. Over the weekend I did the 50hr service with my fingers crossed and did not help the problem. My next step is to get dealer to check it out.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Big Dan, it sounds like you are having the same problems i am. I have a 2011 900xt with 40 hours on it. i have talked to the dealer and decided to go ahead with the 50hr service to see if it helps. Over the weekend I did the 50hr service with my fingers crossed and did not help the problem. My next step is to get dealer to check it out.

Do you still have your spark arrestor ?
Did you change your fuel filter ?

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
Here's mine, without spark arrestor... (this video is from several years ago and the driver is the guy I bought the car from. I'm good, he's better. )

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc9thNrECBY&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]