Tractor Detailing

Do you wash your tractor?

• Yes

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters

Glowplug

I was just wondering how many tractor owners out there wash their machines. I don't keep mine perfectly clean but I do wash it two or three times a year. I've heard the argument, "Why do you do that? It's a tractor! It's supposed to get dirty!" Many think it's a City-Boy gone country thing to wash their tractors. The way I look at it is that I just like the way it looks when it's clean. Also, just seems to me that minor structural and mechanical problems would be more easily caught before they became MAJOR problems with a clean tractor. The military keeps their heavy equipment (tanks, fighter jets) clean! Airlines keep their jets clean! Why not keep your tractor clean? I am by no means a "Clean Freak" though. Most of the time my tractor's filthy. But I do like the way it looks when it's clean and wish it were clean more! Of course I don't want to sacrifice 'seat time' for 'cleaning time' either!

Attachments

• IMG_0688 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0688 (Medium).JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 785
  • IMG_0689 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0689 (Medium).JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 772
Last edited:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Last weekend I used a scrub brush and went over the parts I'm likely to touch, after grubbing out a lot of Poison Oak. Does that count? :)

And when I hose the mowing chaff out of the radiator core, I sprinkle a little water around. For example wash the battery and its mounting cradle. Then maybe hose off the hood.

But generally, no. The crew here is on me to repaint my Yanmar but I think it's beyond help. The tractor would clean up ok (except for the dents) but that complex and rusty loader is more than I want to attempt. I think this rig spent its first ten years mucking out a riding stable, an environment that attacks paint. Then the next 20 years stored outdoors.

So sure, I wash it a little. Once in a while. But you can't tell the difference.

Filters, fluids, lubing, adjustments, are the only things I stay on top of.

I park it under cover, so it doesn't look any different today than when I bought it 4.5 years ago.

P1070303rYM240,UnloadingDiscAtRanch.jpg

Edit, added: Aint she purty? :respect:

IMG_6494rROPSfront.jpg

Last edited:

billbill1

I like to keep all of my vehicles cleaned up somewhat. I tried to use the pressure washer on the radiator of the tractor-bent the fins, not a good idea. When it gets a dirty residue on the engine and moving parts, I spray it off. I even waxed it a couple of times before the new wore off. Plus it cuts down on the wind resistence.:rolleyes:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I pressure wash mine whenever I've gotten mud all over it. Otherwise if it gets washed once a year it's a good year. :hide: I keep it inside, so she'll get a little dusty just sitting there. I get into the mud only when I have to but thinking back it seems to happen about once a year. She's clean, but she does not shine. I hate to give up seat time for cleaning time but after this thread maybe I'll do just that and make her shine. I feel guilty of tractor abuse. :(

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I need to wash mine every time I use it :(

I have a shed on the side of the barn I keep it in but a family of pigeons roosts in the rafters. I plan to put a ceiling in this summer.

Jim

jwstewar

Staff member
Mine is usually dirty, but I do try to wash it 2 or 3 times a year using a wash mit and soap. Almost every week when I wash the radiator, screen, & hydro cooler, I'll also spray the front axle, hood, and operator area off. The hood & operator area are usually pretty dusty from mowing. After I use the KK rotary cutter, I usually end up having to power wash it because it usually ends up pretty muddy because I've been stuck at least twice.:eek::pat::yum:

BoneheadNW

You know, I just answered "no" on the poll, but I did rinse off the tractor several months ago after caking the thing with mud. For the time being, it is stored outside in front of the house under a tree, and stays pretty clean there. We will be building a shed for my tractor, which was my wife's idea (maybe she doesn't want to look at it anymore from her office window, or maybe she loves the tractor so much she wants it to stay cozy).
Bone

Glowplug

I like to keep all of my vehicles cleaned up somewhat. I tried to use the pressure washer on the radiator of the tractor-bent the fins, not a good idea. When it gets a dirty residue on the engine and moving parts, I spray it off. I even waxed it a couple of times before the new wore off. Plus it cuts down on the wind resistence.:rolleyes:

I've learned to be careful with a pressure washer ever since I bent the fins on the turbo intake on my previous Subaru. That car met an early untimely demise for other reasons though!:hide:

zionview

I wash mine whenever it gets "dirty enough". I also use an old 1972 John Deere A18 pressure washer. It only puts out 550psi, so I don't get any seal damage or paint scaling. The big thing is, it cleans enough to locate the occasional oil leak, and keeps grime from building up. We've used that old pressure washer to death. It's on it's 3rd pump! When we farmed, we did everything from tractors to harvesting equipment and everything in between. A neighbor questioned Dad for waxing the haybine once, but he bought it when we were done with it! And we got more than Bluebook for it.

PBinWA

I use a leaf blower on it to keep it clean but only hose it off if it is really dirty.

Otherwise, it is parked out under some trees. I might build a shop someday. Not sure if the tractor will go in it though. ;)

Tom

I always hose the mower off after using it. I do power wash my tractor when it needs it. I've operated allot of equipment over the years, its nice to get back in the shop and give it a good bath once in a while. A couple squirts of grease a day add up. Like my father always said, it seems to run better when its clean. That may not be true, but I like a clean machine!

Mith

There was a time when I washed the machines when the season was over.
Not any more though, just dont find the time. I'm about 20 hours behind on oil changes too. I do keep up with the greasing though, because you really can see the difference when its all well greased.

I tend to wash off the compost from the wheels after a day of loading the spreader...:rolleyes:

I use the air compressor to clean all the hay debris from the tractors at the end of day...

Poll needs a few more choices...After every use...Once a month...Once a year...Not that I remember...:D

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I have washed it, but maybe twice or three times in 5 years. I use the air hose on it more than the water hose.

rlk

Gold Site Supporter
I wash mine occasionally - 2 or 3 times a year.

If it has to go in for service, I make sure to wash it prior to it going to the shop. I have always thought that if you take a dirty piece of equipment in for service, the technicians will tend to treat it differently than a clean piece of equipment. I may be wrong on this, but I tend to look at things that way.

Bob

Glowplug

Cleaned it this evening. Mainly did it for two reasons. I have a couple dozen barn swallows that have taken up residence in my barn for the summer and they poop all over my tractor which is kept in the barn!:yuk:
Also I have had an extremely slow hydraulic oil leak somewhere around the rear of the tractor but couldn't find it because there's about an inch of grit and grime all around that area.

Now the bird poop is all cleaned off and I found the leak! Very simple. Just a loose connector at one of the rear remote valves.:pat:

Now my tractor's all clean. Course I made sure I greased and lubed it all up afterwards! Time to get it dirty again!!

Cleaned it this evening. Mainly did it for two reasons. I have a couple dozen barn swallows that have taken up residence in my barn for the summer and they poop all over my tractor which is kept in the barn!:yuk:
Also I have had an extremely slow hydraulic oil leak somewhere around the rear of the tractor but couldn't find it because there's about an inch of grit and grime all around that area.

Now the bird poop is all cleaned off and I found the leak! Very simple. Just a loose connector at one of the rear remote valves.:pat:

Now my tractor's all clean. Course I made sure I greased and lubed it all up afterwards! Time to get it dirty again!!

Well, one advantage of barn swallows is the are insect eaters par excellente!!!...:D

jbrumberg

I answered no, but I do clean my tractor's grill, radiators and air filter regularly as well as my FEL and attachments after use. Jay