Upgrade from X1120 to X1100C - Anyone Do This?

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Rolling up on retirement and reduction in income, we are considering replacing our 1120 with an 1100 now so we can stay busy even when the weather is not great. We would have to work a deal with the dealer to trade in the 1120 and our 9n plus a bunch of implements and cash. I doubt our dealer would go for it but just speculating right now. My questions would be:

1. I am 6'2" and am told the cab has a little less leg room. True/False?
2. Looks like the 1100 is a little slower - is that because it has a smaller engine, the wind resistance of a cab or more weight?
3. Are you able to hang your arm out the window like a car? It looks like the windows are up a little higher in the door than a car.
4. Any other surprises/lessons learned?

Appreciate any insight you have as always.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I can hang my arm out the window. I was 5'11 but dr office now says I'm 5'10 dang it. It is a bit high but so are cars wiindow openings these days.

I suspect it is a bit slower due to weight and wind resistance.

New 1100's are expensive, 25k. I'd start looking around for a nearly new used one. Save 5 or 10k Then set about selling what you want to sell. You're not far from me so if you find one far away I have a trailer and I'd be happy to do a road trip with you to pick it up. I drove to Mobile Alabama for my first one. It was well worth the 12 hour drive.

RickW

My wife is 5'2" and very comfortable in the 1100. I am 6' and also comfortable. It is snug but my knees are not banging against the dash or anything. I have an assistant who is 6'9", he will not get in the 1100. Plenty of head room but his knees are smashed against the dash.

I can hang my arm out the window but the A/C is almost always on so it is rare to hang my arm out the window. The cab is air tight. When you go to close the door you will quickly know if a window is up or down. The A/C will freeze you out on the hottest of days and cook you as well on the coldest.

I have never played with a 1120 but I can tell you that racing in the 1100 is foolish. The 1100 is built for cruising or working in comfort. I can load too buckets of material from by B3030 tractor in to the bed of the 1100. Even in the summer heat of Texas, the 1100 has no problems with load of the material or the heat of summer when fully loaded and the A/C on. It will work and work and work.

When looking for a ATV we looked at them all. Diesel and hard working were my only two requirements when I stated the search. My wife took one look at the 1100 and said that is the one. The 1100 was about 35%~40% more dollars that anything else we looked at and considering. But by the time I added the items (if it was an option) to the others to get them to an apple to apple comparison to the 1100 that price difference started to close and quickly. We quickly realized the 1100 was (at the time) in a class all its own.

After 9 years of ownership we are just as happy with it today as the day we purchased it. Our salesman was quite clear that if we wanted speed that the 1100 was not the right choice. On flat pavement our top speed is around 24mph on a good day. Typically it 22~23mph. The best speed we have ever seen is 27mph and that was going downhill with the hurricane force winds to my back. We are not typically on the road with the 1100 and are rarely in conditions that allow us to travel faster than 20mph. So the 1100 is in its sweet spot. I will say that for the rare times we are on a road having a top speed closer to around 30mph would be nice but that would be the only thing I would change, if I could.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Not sure if you'd consider used or not but I searched marketplace on FB and found these that might be of interest.

2015 Kabuta x1100c​

$14,000
Listed 2 weeks ago in Chilhowie, VA
A 2015 Kubota RTV X1100c. Everything works as it should. 4x4 hydraulic dump bed. Diesel, heat & ac work good. 1382 hours & 9758 miles for 14k.

=====================

2021 Kubota x1100c​

$18,000
Listed 2 days ago in Jackson, OH
one owner.
(no hours or miles listed)

Smilingreen

Just do the X1100C. You won't regret it. It won't win any races, but I dare bet, it will drag the racers around backwards and never even flench. I just got my X1100C 3 weeks ago. Already put 179 miles on it. The interior is comfortable, the air will freeze you out and the heat will bake you out. It's a heavy machine. It drives like a heavy machine. It rides like a heavy machine. Haven't found any excuse to put it in FWD yet. Anything I went to climb, it has done effortlessly in two wheel drive without spinning. The same hill with my 855D gator would have to have it locked in FWD. The sealed cab is wonderful. It it quiet? Not really, but keeping the dust, dirt, spiders, bees, orb weavers and other critters off of you is worth it.
It will be nice this winter, in the chance we get snow (middle Tennessee) to go out cruising the roads, without cold wind blowing on you, or freezing rain or snow.

Getting ready for full time retirement in about 2.5 years. That is why I bought mine now. Going semi-retireed the first of November of this year. The only reason I am still working is for health insurance and now, to pay off the RTV. I got plenty of things to do around my farm, and I am not going to sit inside and wither away when I get fully retired. I just needed to do one last upgrade from the Deere before I took full retirement.

I think on the later models, they have moved the keyswitch so you don't accidentally hit the key with your knee. It is basically in the center of the dash.

ItBmine

Yes, unfortunately you missed the window of when they were "reasonably" priced. But at least you should get a good dollar for your 1120 if it still looks in good shape. I wouldn't get rid of the 9N though!!!!

And as Smilingreen has said, yes they are heavyso you are not going to go mud bogging, but I can say I also rarely have even put mine in 4WD with the Worksite tires. This RTV will go places my Polaris Sportsman will not climb in 2WD.

ItBmine

Rolling up on retirement and reduction in income, we are considering replacing our 1120 with an 1100 now so we can stay busy even when the weather is not great. We would have to work a deal with the dealer to trade in the 1120 and our 9n plus a bunch of implements and cash. I doubt our dealer would go for it but just speculating right now. My questions would be:

1. I am 6'2" and am told the cab has a little less leg room. True/False?
2. Looks like the 1100 is a little slower - is that because it has a smaller engine, the wind resistance of a cab or more weight?
3. Are you able to hang your arm out the window like a car? It looks like the windows are up a little higher in the door than a car.
4. Any other surprises/lessons learned?

Appreciate any insight you have as always.
Only other things I can add Ohio is:
1. While some hate the Kubota rear view mirrors I did have them and never had issues other than the passenger side was partially blocked off by the door frame. But when the glass got broke I used the stock arms and put on these $20 Grote 8 inch convex mirrors. Even better! Never move out of adjustment and by using the little bracket that comes with them, it lowers them just enough that they are now both fully visible.
2. Other lesson learned......duct tape some window screen over the big air intake for the HVAC system which is just behind the engine air filter. That big hole which goes down into your cabin air filter and blower fan motor makes an awesome home for mice to build a giant nest in. And the Kubota cabin filters are 3 times the price of the ones for my Ford trucks. I had to buy one from Kubota, but then went to an auto parts store with it and matched it to one that was much cheaper.

And as for pulling power, I regularly use mine as a dump truck around the property and I have some pretty steep hills. And it don't matter if it's empty, loaded with two buckets of gravel from my B2620 tractor or loaded with AC on......it does the same 7 to 11 MPH up the hills. But I've yet to run out of power climbing.

Attachments

• 20220225_135647.jpg
    20220225_135647.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230130_183153.jpg
    20230130_183153.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220225_135832.jpg
    20220225_135832.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220225_135815.jpg
    20220225_135815.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221106_155526.jpg
    20221106_155526.jpg
    628.9 KB · Views: 4

ItBmine

And like for the reason you want one, you can't beat them when you want to go for a trail ride and it's a snow storm and minus 40, or pouring rain in the summer. The heated and AC cab is awesome. And you can go for a trail ride and come back with a full load of firewood and it will run just the same as it did empty.
You can't tell in this pic but the approach angles were pretty steep, to where I drag my receiver hitch mounted winch, but these are the kinds of trails the RTV excels on. They will cross logs and slimy mud and water holes where the water is up the doors. But I wouldn't try mud bogging with it.
I also had a bit of an OH-OH moment when I went out on the beach in the deep sand with my worksite tires. That was one of the times I HAD to put it in 4WD to get back out, LOL

Attachments

• 20231007_123348.jpg
    20231007_123348.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231007_132706.jpg
    20231007_132706.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 8
  • water.PNG
    water.PNG
    620.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220522_155633 (Large).jpg
    20220522_155633 (Large).jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 8

ItBmine

Bonus pic......a couple of the RTV's from the mine. These things get pounded with little to no maintenance. And don't forget they are climbing some pretty steep ramps all day from 4000 feet below.

Attachments

• 20230427_124819.jpg
    20230427_124819.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230428_164203.jpg
    20230428_164203.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 4

ItBmine

1. I am 6'2" and am told the cab has a little less leg room. True/False
I'm only 5'9" 180 pounds Ohio but I took these for you today.

Attachments

• 20231020_140903.jpg
    20231020_140903.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 4
  • 20231020_140842.jpg
    20231020_140842.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Your Paw Paw farm is not to far from me. If still in doubt you are welcome to come by my place and drive my x1100c on some of my trails. We've spoke of hooking up before, this could be a good excuse to get you over my way. :D

Smilingreen

We need to start a annual NetTractorTalk field day/weekend. (Or has one of those already been tried?) A couple of states isn't too far to trailer an RTV. It would have to be close to where some good riding trails are at, if everyone wanted to go on a 10/15/20 mile trail ride. Does Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky have any good riding trails in it? I know Tennessee does. Just a thought.

ItBmine

We need to start a annual NetTractorTalk field day/weekend. (Or has one of those already been tried?) A couple of states isn't too far to trailer an RTV. It would have to be close to where some good riding trails are at, if everyone wanted to go on a 10/15/20 mile trail ride. Does Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky have any good riding trails in it? I know Tennessee does. Just a thought.
Well if we ever do let me know. I'd have to book holidays, but Indiana/Illinois are within 7 hours or so from me.

A year or two ago I contacted Kubota Canada.....NOT ASKING FOR ANYTHING, but saidd I was willing to put on a big trail ride for RTV owners, so we can ride and not have to go 65 MPH with all the ATV'ers. All I asked was if they were interested in promoting it to get the word out.

And I got no reply at all from them. You would think they would have been at least slightly interested seeing as how the Canadian headquarters is right in the middle of all kinds of ATV trail systems.

ItBmine

I do want to get to Farm Progress show sometime. You can ride your RTV around the whole event area to see the show.

I was going to go this summer, but there was two antique tractor parades I've been waiting to drive in so I went to those instead.

Smilingreen

Getting Corp promotion from a large company like Kubota is very tough. In times like these, people are so sue happy and will sue anyone and everyone attached to an event, even if the just promoted it on a website. Somebody is always looking for a free payday.

Smilingreen

I do want to get to Farm Progress show sometime. You can ride your RTV around the whole event area to see the show.

I was going to go this summer, but there was two antique tractor parades I've been waiting to drive in so I went to those instead.
Farm progress is in central Illinois?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm in SE ohio and I have some awesome trails and some kewl back roads for riding. Would any consider coming to Reedsville Ohio 45772
Park of Wayne National forest. Beautiful country.

Smilingreen

They has a Classic green Reunion in June at our local fairgrounds. You could ride you UTV around to see all the classic tractors, which took up a whole day. A lot of places have banned Razors in these events. CCan't really blame them for doing that.