UTV Hitchworks Receiver Extension/Skid Plate and Transmission Plate

frodoz737

This one's for you TechJunkie...and anyone else interested.

This afternoon I stopped by work to install the Hitchworks UTV-XECP kit and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. The quality is excellent and they even included the extra hardware needed for the later Model 2020 and up RTV-X900, x1100, x1120 and x1140. My X1100CW was mfg late 2017 so this was not needed and I and can't comment as it applies. Only needed 3 metric sockets, an extension, a ratchet...and a mallet to bust loose the rear frame after "loosening" the 6 bolts. Note...there were no pre-drilled holes on my hitch/plate to transfer over the little rubber bumpers from the factory plate...so I left them off as they really serve no purpose in my application. The transmission Plate (upper) had tight clearance as described in the instructions and is easily adjusted as described. Have included below 2 file videos and the installation pdf. Sorry I didn't take any pictures, but Winter "finally" showed it's azz today and the temp dropped 30 degrees...so I was ready to go home. Vacation is over, I go back to work tomorrow night, my new/used buggy is ready to roll...and...I will most definitely have my cold weather gear with me.

This was a necessary mod for me as I frequently hook up and tow equipment every night. I have a few other "mods" planned, but will post those when they are done.

Thanks for all your help folks.

Last edited:

ItBmine

I had to put an extra thin washer behind the top mount of the upper protection plate as it was just barely touching my exhaust and made a slight rattle.
Now whether it is because of that extra washer or not......when I dump all the way with the tailgate down, it will just catch the orange skin on the tailgate. So every once in a while I have to push one of the black push pins that hold the skin on back in.

No a big deal, but something to watch for.

I didn't get the receiver extension. So far I only use the rear receiver to put my winch in if I need to use it from the rear.

You're getting her set up nice Frodoz737.

Reactions: Doc

frodoz737

Will recheck all clearances when I go to work, but 99.9% sure I'm good. Thanks for the heads up. A modified version of this Van Box and the mirror drop listed below are in work.

1641141457161.png

Last edited:

ItBmine

Wow, I like those HeliMod extensions!! I might have to get a set. Thanks for posting.

The other good thing about those is if those OEM Kubota plastic mirrors ever get loose and won't stay in adjustment, you could just buy some Grote convex mirrors and bolt them on.

TechJunkie

This one's for you TechJunkie...and anyone else interested.

This afternoon I stopped by work to install the Hitchworks UTV-XECP kit and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. The quality is excellent and they even included the extra hardware needed for the later Model 2020 and up RTV-X900, x1100, x1120 and x1140. My X1100CW was mfg late 2017 so this was not needed and I and can't comment as it applies. Only needed 3 metric sockets, an extension, a ratchet...and a mallet to bust loose the rear frame after "loosening" the 6 bolts. Note...there were no pre-drilled holes on my hitch/plate to transfer over the little rubber bumpers from the factory plate...so I left them off as they really serve no purpose in my application. The transmission Plate (upper) had tight clearance as described in the instructions and is easily adjusted as described. Have included below 2 file videos and the installation pdf. Sorry I didn't take any pictures, but Winter "finally" showed it's azz today and the temp dropped 30 degrees...so I was ready to go home. Vacation is over, I go back to work tomorrow night, my new/used buggy is ready to roll...and...I will most definitely have my cold weather gear with me.

This was a necessary mod for me as I frequently hook up and tow equipment every night. I have a few other "mods" planned, but will post those when they are done.

Thanks for all your help folks.

Thank you Frodoz!

frodoz737

Understand. Our buggies are more like mobile toolboxes that are also used to tow larger and/or heavier parts and equipment. With this one though, I will have the well earned luxury of an enclosed cab with HVAC. ;)

Last edited:

TechJunkie

Mine will be used for property maintenance and hunting so this will be a necessity as I don't want to use a hitch extension. This is a much cleaner way of extending the hitch!

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
What are those bodies worth?
Frodoz: “Bodies? Are you referring to the (cargo) Van Box?”
ItBnime: “Yes. That would be handy.....just not for me. I use mine more as a dump truck for hauling gravel.”
Frodoz: “Understand. Our buggies are more like mobile toolboxes that are also used to tow larger and/or heavier parts and equipment. With this one though, I will have the well earned luxury of an enclosed cab with HVAC”

NIce back-and-forth about it…but didn’t answer the question. Soo…what’s the source and price of the VanBox? Is it made specifically for an RTV?

I have another question also… Why is he hitch extension used? I ask because I use an ordinary ball-hitch that has a sufficiently-long bar to have the ball presentable to the trailer and I pull larger trailers around with no problem at all. In the case of the box/body …. the product would prevent the use of the dump-bed…so there’s little reason to extend the hitch I can imagine.
PLUS…extending the hitch will place extraordinary tongue-loads onto the RTV frame and rear axle.
Finally… there is very little needful of a “protective skid plate”… as everything back there is either above the rear axle (therefore not likely to be hit by anything) …or consists of an anti-roll tornsion-bar which has little need of protection. The products certainly look well-made… I’m just questioning why running around on a concrete airport apron or even over rough country such as this vehicle is already designed to do… needs this product… ?

The other product (transmission-cover) also seems to be a solution in-search of a problem…It looks like it would reduce transmission cooling…..and the bed can be dumped without hitting it if it’s not there.

Another question for all: Has ANYONE figured out for what those little rubber baby bumpers are intended?

Last question: Wouldn’t the OEM rear cover be capable of being re-fitted over the Hitch-Extension-cover (if for some reason it was desired) so that the OEM Kubota placards would still be visible?…. or is there some reason that‘s not possible?

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I like the hitch works product but had concerns similar to those geohorn mentioned, would it inhibit cooling for the tranny. Kubota engineers are a very capable group and little changes can have undesirable effects.

However, my primary interest was moving the hitch out closer to where I don't have to get on my knees to swap out one for the other. So I did a search and found they have exactly what I need and call it a hitch extender tube extension.
Both Harbor Freight and Amazon offered 7" and 12" extensions for less than 30 bucks.
Perfect solution for me and within my price range. I was going to wait until I had it to post and report here but geohorn's post prompted me to reply sooner as it seems to fit here.

Here is a pic of what i bought. It should be here later this week or early next week.

HitchExtender.JPG

TechJunkie

I am no engineer so I only have assumptions to go on with what I see. The UTVHitchworks extension inserts into the original receiver tube and then also bolts to the back of the machine basically supporting the new receiver tube section. It looks to me this supports the receiver tube extension and distributes the load a little better without placing all of the leverage on the original receiver tube when only using a receiver tube extension and drawbar. I may be overthinking this but I am certain as you move a load further away from the connection point, additional leverage is applied. Maybe this is acceptable I have no engineering background to confirm or deny. It just seems the UTVHitchworks extension would support and distribute the load a little better when moving the connection point of the load further aft.

HBTexas

Gold Site Supporter
I used a hitch extender for a while . but broke down and got the Hitchworks bolt on after seeing some one here had pic of one .. I think it for sure is a stiffer solution as the extending of the hitch .
I did not purchase the trans cover with it as I thought it could contain HEAT as Doc mentioned.

Mine also did not have the holes for the little rubber bumpers,
Thought I would find what I done with those big rubber bump stops off my diesel truck and put them on instead.,
Just have not yet ran across the spot where I hid them from myself .

frodoz737

Good questions.

Edmunds Metalworks is the manufacture of the "modified" Van Box I will am getting. First looked into them some 10 years ago when I bought my soon to be sold Carryall 295...even dropped by their facility in Florida while visiting some in laws. Excellent product. They do not sell retail, but distribute through Wiedmann Bros/Orange Aftermarket...and I'm sure a few others. When you check their site you'll see they make them for most UTVs...and they will customize. You can tip/dump the bed with this installed, but the box will need to be secured and not just dropped in.

As for the Hitchworks...I work in a very demanding environment and most of the stuff we tow regularly every night is far outside the "published" rated capacity of this or any UTV. Three guys I work with have "pre-X" RTV 1000s and use extensions due to the geometry of the RTV to our equipment...and for use in areas requiring a very tight turning radius while towing and parked. They work, but the further you extend that stick the more stress you put on the receiver. The additional bracing this extension/skit provides made sense to me and it has proven out the last couple nights. As for cooling...if installing these causes overheating...you have other problems. There is more than enough air flow back there. Will take those pictures tonight of my RTV in use so you will understand.

Are these products something everyone needs...no...just as not everyone needs to plow snow, spread fertilizer or whatever. Respects to all who buy these RTVs and for whatever use the provide, but some of us operate/work under a different and more severe duty cycle.

Hope that helps for now.

P.S. Those little rubber pads are cosmetic as far as I am concerned. I could drill/install in minutes, but they're just not worth it for me.

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I am no engineer so I only have assumptions to go on with what I see. The UTVHitchworks extension inserts into the original receiver tube and then also bolts to the back of the machine basically supporting the new receiver tube section. It looks to me this supports the receiver tube extension and distributes the load a little better without placing all of the leverage on the original receiver tube when only using a receiver tube extension and drawbar. I may be overthinking this but I am certain as you move a load further away from the connection point, additional leverage is applied. Maybe this is acceptable I have no engineering background to confirm or deny. It just seems the UTVHitchworks extension would support and distribute the load a little better when moving the connection point of the load further aft.
I agree with all that.
But for me to use the current hitch, the ball mount has to be 6" long for the ball to come out far enough. The extender simply brings the receiver part out even with the rear so I can swap trailer ball siizes or put the hook on for pulling out a scrub. The RTV has a 2000LB limit and I never get close to that. I'm only pulling small trailers or lawn sweepers. If towing heavier stuff UTVHitchworks option is superior by far.

ItBmine

The description for the hitch extender plate in the Orange Aftermarket catalog pretty much says it's purpose is nothing more than to make the hitch pin easier to reach.

Reason I got the rear protection plate was just because I thought it might be a good idea with me working in the woods all the time. Plus I'm not in a hot southern climate.

All good points raised. We all just think different I guess, LOL

TechJunkie

I agree with all that.
But for me to use the current hitch, the ball mount has to be 6" long for the ball to come out far enough. The extender simply brings the receiver part out even with the rear so I can swap trailer ball siizes or put the hook on for pulling out a scrub. The RTV has a 2000LB limit and I never get close to that. I'm only pulling small trailers or lawn sweepers. If towing heavier stuff UTVHitchworks option is superior by far.
Agreed Doc. Hitch Extensions seem to be a great functional solution. I will probably never have much load on the hitch. The trailer I pull most often is a 6'X10' and even loaded with wood the RTV will handle it fine. For me the idea of moving the drawbar back is appealing and I figure if the UTVHitchworks solution takes a little stress off the factory location vs just an extension might as well. I intend to keep my "soon to be delivered" :17875: X1140 for a long while. I guess it just makes me feel better thinking the load is better distributed with the extension plate. In reality it may not make a difference. It is a time will tell kind of thing.

TechJunkie

Good questions.

Edmunds Metalworks is the manufacture of the "modified" Van Box I will am getting. First looked into them some 10 years ago when I bought my soon to be sold Carryall 295...even dropped by their facility in Florida while visiting some in laws. Excellent product. They do not sell retail, but distribute through Wiedmann Bros/Orange Aftermarket...and I'm sure a few others. When you check their site you'll see they make them for most UTVs...and they will customize. You can tip/dump the bed with this installed, but the box will need to be secured and not just dropped in.

I have absolutely no need for a box like this but it is undeniably awesome!