UTV Hitchworks Receiver Extension/Skid Plate and Transmission Plate

frodoz737

"Are these products something everyone needs...no...just as not everyone needs to plow snow, spread fertilizer or whatever. Respects to all who buy these RTVs and for whatever use the provide, but some of us operate/work under a different and more severe duty cycle."

;)

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I installed both the slide plate/hitch extender and the transmission plate. I have pulled 8 ft oak and ash logs all day in the summer heat and some uphill. Also tow frequently. Never had any indication of an overheat. The engine oil (not HST) has never been above the center notch. I understand there is an HST overheat alarm if it ever did overheat. The slid plate/hitch extender protects the underside of the HST while bringing the hitch out to usable position for me. The transmission guard protects the HST if you back into something or your hitch comes loose. I did use several washers to insure plenty of airspace and it works for me.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
This is from the RTV-X900 Owners’ Manual. I believe consideration should be given any extension of the hitch-ball by any means as to how that might affect the 110 lb tongue weight limit. While the UTV Skid-plate Hitch Extender certainly engages more of the RTV framework to support a towed load…. it does not increase the approved towing capacity or tongue weight of the RTV for many reasons, including engine/transmission design capability and vehicle suspension loading and BRAKING control.

Towing capacity of Any Vehicle, RTV, Pickup-Trucks, or automobiles and tractors is based upon more than ”Pulling capability”…. FAR more important is Braking and Directional-Control of the towed load, which includes steerage and momentum forces. (Imagine a 2K lb load going down-hill and the need to stop.… A trailer in such a situation will likely make the RTV completely UNcontrollable…possibly over-running the RTV and its’ occupants…besides endangeriing anyone/anything nearby.)

All of us are in-charge of and capable of making personal decisions as to how we use our equipment. No intent to disrespect or denigrate.

697AA36C-E2DE-4705-9BD0-37E7CCCA74CA.png

frodoz737

So...now that the legal disclaimer has been handled... ;)

Most all of out carts and equipment are two axled with turning front trucks and no downward tongue weight because the attach arm pivots vertically...but they all exceed maximum pull restrictions of any UTV. We also use the pintle hitch exclusively. Below is what we call one of our "tire carts" and what is "towed" most, followed by GPUs and bag cart to haul previously described parts and equipment. I was really busy last night and only took this one "poor quality" shot as an example...because I said I would post. My Carryall 295 with the D722 engine has far less capability and has lasted over 7,000 hours. Company provided Kawasaki 610s are also used for these tasks...as well as a variety of other equally or less capable personal buggies. I can say with certainty the Hitchworks extension/skid DOES provide additional protection. strength, stability and geometry over the common extension for our application...and my RTV X1100C pictured is more capable to the task at hand (outside the legal definition that is). YMMV and that's OK.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 32

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
So...now that the legal disclaimer has been handled... ;)

Most all of out carts and equipment are two axled with turning front trucks and no downward tongue weight because the attach arm pivots vertically...but they all exceed maximum pull restrictions of any UTV. We also use the pintle hitch exclusively. Below is what we call one of our "tire carts" and what is "towed" most, followed by GPUs and bag cart to haul previously described parts and equipment. I was really busy last night and only took this one "poor quality" shot as an example...because I said I would post. My Carryall 295 with the D722 engine has far less capability and has lasted over 7,000 hours. Company provided Kawasaki 610s are also used for these tasks...as well as a variety of other equally or less capable personal buggies. I can say with certainty the Hitchworks extension/skid DOES provide additional protection. strength, stability and geometry over the common extension for our application...and my RTV X1100C pictured is more capable to the task at hand (outside the legal definition that is). YMMV and that's OK.
I’ll also venture you operate at much-reduced speeds and on carefully controlled/regulated/observed areas than the general public. (i.e. airport aprons/terminal gate areas) You gotta be careful of outside vendors/operators however. I’m thinking of the time I was on the ramp at HOU and a catering truck driven by a new employee careened around the corner of the jetway and the box on his truck took out the wingtip of a jet.
That kind of idiocy can present itself anywhere/anytime and it’d be a challenge to avoid it while operating specialized equipment like an RTV pulling a tire-carrier.

Last edited:

HBTexas

Gold Site Supporter
Its funny that some machines and hitches have such a minimal tongue rating marked on them. . I mean.. Even a little lawn mower dump trailer from lowes "feels" like it is heavier than 110 lbs on the tongue when filled with dirt or firewood? And for sure would on a down hill incline (single axel) ...

I saw one guy had a receiver Step inserted into the RTV. this was a Big Ole Boy.. so when he used it to step up into the bed must have exceeded the tongue rating 3 fold. lol

frodoz737

Yes...our jobs and work environment are both challenging and hazardous.

That said...I would like to report the RTV X1100C has passed every test with flying colors. Only have about 4 years left, but the FNGs are already lining up to buy it when I retire.

Reactions: Doc

frodoz737

Just to follow up on a comment/question earlier posed. This is an example with a lessor capable Gator, but it also applies to the Kubota regarding the dump function with a Van Box installed.

1641674176973.png

coobie

Ordered the Helimod for my mirrors will see how that pans out.I installed Grote mirrors so hopefully I can make some mods to fit.

Reactions: Doc