UTV or ATV shopping

Oldpath

I've never had an Artic Cat. (guess who also sells Artic Cat in my town? LOL) Suzuki is another brand that was good but I lost touch with what they have now because I have no dealer any more.

I'd really like to get a 50 inch wide side by side because they can go where an atv can. And although I'm not that old, after many younger years racing dirt bikes and 36 years of trucking, my body is pretty beat up and it is getting uncomfortable sitting on a four wheeler all day. I'd rather be in the seat of a side by side. But I just can't stomach the prices now. That's why now when the wife and I go for a ride by ourselves we only take the RTV now. And we get to enjoy the scenery and wildlife.
Thats almost like a old Twilight Zone story. What model RTV you have?

ItBmine

I have the X1100C. And the last two remaining Polaris's.

Attachments

• 101_5460 (Large).JPG
    101_5460 (Large).JPG
    399.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 101_5470 (Large).JPG
    101_5470 (Large).JPG
    304.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 101_5319.JPG.jpg
    101_5319.JPG.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 2

Oldpath

Ouch that's still a 21k UTV, more than a L series tractor with FEL, 13k is my cut-off point, and you have the snowplow on the wrong machine.....
These UTV's are getting outrageous for what they are, just to ride around the fence line, an old Jeep or Suzuki can do that, at least make them so they can go on the road, for that price a pto and or FEL should be included.....

What turned me off from Polaris 25 years ago was that Macpherson strut with single front A-frame, think they went to double A 10 years ago. Now all ATVs and UTV's are way to high speeded in low range, my 96 Artic Cat in low range was 5 mph at full throttle, great for pulling trailers in the woods, if I was to buy something now I'd pick the one that goes the slowest at full throttle, most likely that would be another small tractor......

Now my biggest beef with these small 4x4 tractors is why the Hades do they put such small tires on front............ I cant get the perfect do all machine anywhere in this world, makes me want to walk in cooperate Kubota and slap them all side the head so they can finally make a machine like what I want..........
To start with, both ends are the business end, locking diffs on both ends, tractors WILL HAVE front tire SLIGHTLY smaller on front and be able to spin all 4 tires on on hot-top hooked to a mountain in reverse and forward till the tires melt without falling apart, and reverse will be slower than forward. UTVs will be road legal, optional FEL and pto, both ends lock and unlock, top speed 80, slowest low range speed 2-5 mph at full throttle with 30" tires, your right this wont happen in this lifetime and is impossible, but there is another one coming, Matt 19:26 (But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.").........

ItBmine

Yes, it was expensive. I have a 6.6 foot Boss Power Vee XT plow for it. But like I said, for the 30 plus grand to buy a toy side by side here, I got the RTV with the plow that can actually do work. And the loader on my B2620 is perfect for loading gravel in it. To me it was smarter money spent than buying a fast play toy.
The old Polaris 500 served me well plowing for 8 years before I bought my tractor. Original belt, only problems I ever had with it is the fan failed and took out the rad 2 years ago, I replaced only the rear wheel bearings, and I wore through the needle jet in the carb and it fell off, LOL

I looked at those small loggers. But I ended up just taking my saw and splitter into my woods and cutting and splitting on site.

Oldpath

These trailers most likely work better in warm weather because of the drive rings icing up, according to this video theres no traction to the drive wheels when that happens and cold weather is when I cut firewood. Between that and the cost of these trailers I'll stay with a pto winch, much cheaper and probably just as much fun, the only advantage for trailers is in warm weather when there's dirt and mud, that when dragging trees gets all dirty.
Then the other problem is all these power trailers are made in other country's, shipping cost can really add up that way......

Oldpath

Talk about a trailer that I'd really like to have, it one of these Ultratec ATV trailers, I priced one last year from a dealer somewhere out mid-west, think it was around 8k. I thought about making one but the power tail gate and dumping mechanism is a little above my pay grade, the last atv trailer I made 25 years ago was $500.00 just in steel, tires and spindles I got off a couple used cars.........

CrhNgsgl.jpg

RTZaNEHl.jpg

jNOvh49l.jpg

Last edited:

Oldpath

What good is a 15k utv when you cant even go to HD with it, then on the other hand why is are the big three ignoring a possible hot market on mini trucks vs a 80k small dump truck, one answer is they are to big and dont care about anything mini, so who is left the local chop shop and or Japan, China, India, Kalamazoo........

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mini's are available in the price range you mentioned earlier, 13k. Some nearly new ones.

Another option would be a full size truck with the dump kit added. My neighbor did that and has a really nice set up. If my memory is correct I think he only had a couple thousand in the kit. Seems like that would be the best way to go if you want a dump and want to go to home depot. Some of the mini's are hard to get legal for driving on the road I've heard. A lot depends on the state you live in.

ItBmine

The mine I work at bought a new F550 and took this DEL aluminum deckover dump off it to put their old steel body on it.

I did a bunch of asking if I could buy it for my F550 but never got an answer. It's still sitting in the bone yard. They got too much money I guess.

Attachments

• 20210418_125136.jpg
    20210418_125136.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210418_125222.jpg
    20210418_125222.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Wow
Reactions: Doc