walking in the dark .....

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
..... here for the last week, I feel like I'm walking in the dark.
I, like many others in this world, have changed the oil in their equipment
and vehicles. With that being said, my question is. HOW MANY FILTERS
DOES IT TAKE FOR ONE PERSON TO GET ONE THAT DOES NOT LEAK >>>>

Perfectly good truck. Changed the oil last week. Filter starts to leak.
Now, OLD GASKET IS OFF !!! When the old filter removed, gasket came off with it . ( we got that covered ). YES, IT IS TIGHT...

Again, it still leaks. Go get another filter, different brand. Same thing.
Get under truck THREE (3) TIMES, and tighten up the filter just a little more. STILL LEAKS.

GO GET THE THIRD FILTER, THAT DAMN THING WILL NOT SEAL OFF.

I am at the end of my ropes. Never in my life, I've worked on all kinds of equipment / trucks / tractors / race / go-fast mud wagons, and never has this happen to me.
We have looked at the area where the gasket matches up, perfect. We have tightened this third filter four times, and it still leaks. It's done gone to far on the tighten thing, it just to tight.

All gaskets are thick, correct, no cuts or dings, same thickness as others.

Could it be I have been so unlucky to get that many bad filters.
All filters had different manufactures, all filters are high quality filters,
with the last being a Mopar filter.
First filter was a Amsoil filter
Second was a WIX

.... any suggestions ?

.... thanks,
two guns

Attachments

• ZaZu.gif
    ZaZu.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 130

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I like the wix racing filters. They are supposed to be a higher quality filter than
Regular wix filters.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I like the wix racing filters. They are supposed to be a higher quality filter than
Regular wix filters.

I've used Wix for years. Great filters. But this one leaked.

Amsoil and Mopar are good quality filters also. I don't go
cheap when it comes to my equipment.

WE WILL NOT USE A FRAM.
FRAM COST ME A ENGINE YEARS AGO .....:beatdeadhorse5:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Two Guns, I was wondering on the far off chance that that threaded piece that the filter screws on could be one of those adjustable lenght ones? I have seen just a few that were like that but can't remember where. I think it was a piece of farm equipment but don't remember. If so, then the threads on the filter might snug up before it gets tight on the engine? bordercollie

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
DOn't know how but maybe the male threaded port on the housing has moved in a way that it is no longer perpendicular to the seating surface. Yep, it's outside the box!

urednecku

IF the threaded piece has came part way out, I'd think it'd still tighten back when he put the next filter on. While we're 'shooting in the dark'....yer not tightening it too tight are ya?
Sure got me scratchin' my noggin, too.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Two Guns, I was wondering on the far off chance that that threaded piece that the filter screws on could be one of those adjustable lenght ones? I have seen just a few that were like that but can't remember where. I think it was a piece of farm equipment but don't remember. If so, then the threads on the filter might snug up before it gets tight on the engine? bordercollie

thanks bordercollie, we have checked the male threaded thingy, it's still
proper. He checked that also. (He, being Hunter, my son) He is about
at the end of his knockin's also on this >>>>>

Tired of my Dodge playin' possum >>>>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
....yer not tightening it too tight are ya?
Sure got me scratchin' my noggin, too.

No Sir, doing it the proper way, and when it starts seeping out again,
we just tighten a little more until it just time to throw in the towel and
go get another filter.
This is crazy >>>>>>>

Just thinking if by chance, we got three bad filters in a row, even though
they were different make filters .... Like they say, Anything is Possible >>>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The hell with the filter. Who needs them? Duct tape over the area and be done with it. :)

I'd consider cutting 1/4 - 1/3 of one of those filters off (from end to end) so you have a see-through. Screw it in and take a look at what's not seating right.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Is the gasket the same thickness as the old one ? How irritating for you and the son to have this pestering ya'll. Good Luck! bordercollie

rj's barn

Are you smearing clean oil on the rubber gasket? I do that as a matter of habit and I've never had a filter back off or leak on me. Not even the cheapo's have leaked on me.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Are you smearing clean oil on the rubber gasket? I do that as a matter of habit and I've never had a filter back off or leak on me. Not even the cheapo's have leaked on me.

Yep, smearing clean oil.

We have NEVER had this happen either............:2gunsfiring_v1:

doggman

I'd get some modeling clay, plumber's putty, or something like that. Put a thin strip of clay across the recess and screw the filter back on. Oil the heck out of the gasket so it doesn't drag the clay too much. Tighten the filter then remove it. Carefully remove the clay and see how thin it got compressed. You might be able to do a similar thing by slipping a strip of wax paper across the contact surface, install the filter and see if you can tug the paper out. You get the idea.

Also, is the first time you changed filters on this particular truck?

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I'd get some modeling clay, plumber's putty, or something like that. Put a thin strip of clay across the recess and screw the filter back on. Oil the heck out of the gasket so it doesn't drag the clay too much. Tighten the filter then remove it. Carefully remove the clay and see how thin it got compressed. You might be able to do a similar thing by slipping a strip of wax paper across the contact surface, install the filter and see if you can tug the paper out. You get the idea.

Also, is the first time you changed filters on this particular truck?

Got the idea.

No Sir, this is not the first .....

Kanook

I had a similar problem years ago that was caused by the gasket staying stuck to the engine block when I removed the old filter. The new filter was therefore double gasket and wouldn't seal correctly..Also had the stem that the oil filter threads onto get partially unscrewed a couple of times. Think both have been already suggested..just sayin'

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i only had a filter leak one time and it was because i screwed it on to tight. now what i do is screw it on just snug enough to feel a bind on it and try it there if it leaks i put a little more torque to it but so far i only had one leak. i don't know how big of a guy you are or how big your son is but just for laughs try letting your wife install it and see if it leaks. most times it's just being put on too tight.

one more thing do you run the engine to get it a bit warm before you change the filter? i always run my engine for a few minutes before changeing the oil this will help the old oil come out easier and will also expand the parts to their regular operating temps. whenever you put something on a cold engine it's always best to recheck it after you run the engine because metal will expand and leak.when i change my oil i make sure it's hot enough to where i can't touch it.

homemade

i never seen the mechanics of a truck filter head assy but hydraulic filter head has a relief spring so if filter by chance plugged at least some oil would bypass filter and return yo tank, being that said seems like something like a relief is not working and is putting more pressure on filter, a shot in the dark